Home

Offensive rebounding

This is a discussion on Offensive rebounding within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-10-2014, 03:56 AM   #41
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Offensive rebounding

Outside of the user team's AI teammates being extremely ineffective at boxing out, the other main issue I've had is if it is a tightly contested rebound and gets poked down to mid level, neither the player controlled character or your teammates seem to know what to do with that ball. They just stop moving while the cpu grabs it quickly. I've actually seen the ball bounce off players chests/arms and they never make any effort to pick it up.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 04:14 AM   #42
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Have you guys played around with the boxout assist strength slider in the controller option screen? If so any results(good or bad)?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #43
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

I'm toying with sliders and I think offensive awareness and hands might have more to do with guys snatching blocked shots like shortstops than rebounding. I eliminated that stuff but I'm not sure what slider did it.
Old 10-10-2014, 05:20 AM   #44
MVP

Kaanyr Vhok's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashidi
Czar I'm sure we have discussed this before.

One of the biggest problem with offensive rebounds pertains to rim physics.

Shots do not miss realistically. Threes don't lead to long rebounds. The reason 3pt cheesing has been so successful over the years isn't just that players were draining unrealistic shots but they weren't being penalized for doing so - in fact they were benefitting from it. Since rebounds don't go long, 3pt spammers don't have to deal with fastbreaks, and they get plenty of high percentage offensive rebounds down low because the defensive breakdowns leading to that 3pt shot likewise destroyed any semblance of box balance. Further, it seems like teams are helpless after ORBs to do anything except give up an uncontested shot (players with the highest ORB ratings also have the highest Standing Dunk ratings).

FWIW it does not seem like the rebound ratings are a problem this year, they were slightly unbalanced in favor of ORBs last season but it seems fair now. I don't know enough about 2K15 to say if athleticism ratings (new or otherwise) are a significant factor, this is just what I observed over 3 games.

Average reb rate by pos Off/Def
PG: 42/42
SG: 44/42
SF: 57/61
PF: 75/78
C: 82/81
^^ True. There have been a lack of long rebounds since the Dreamcast. Its not just the rim physics. Guys cant control tip rebounds.
Old 10-10-2014, 09:56 AM   #45
Vni
Hall Of Fame

Vni's Arena

OVR: 23

Just had a game where the Pistons got 19 off rebounds and 10 in the fourth of a tight game. Not saying it can't happen and I know that Drummond is good on the boards but it felt kind of cheap. I had the bucks and Sanders myself.

Last edited by Vni; 10-10-2014 at 09:59 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 10:16 AM   #46
Rookie

Just my 2 cents

I currently played about 20-30 games with various teams all on SS/Sim and I don't have a rebounding problem.

If needed I set my POE to crash boards if the other team has better rebounding etc or looks to be attacking ty boards.

When I'm a user controlled player in the paint I box out etc

So with that said I enjoy the game like it is...
Old 10-10-2014, 10:56 AM   #47
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by highzman28
Just my 2 cents

I currently played about 20-30 games with various teams all on SS/Sim and I don't have a rebounding problem.

If needed I set my POE to crash boards if the other team has better rebounding etc or looks to be attacking ty boards.

When I'm a user controlled player in the paint I box out etc

So with that said I enjoy the game like it is...
I totally agree. My only fear is that instead of people giving the actually poe and defensive strategies a look and try to make proper adjustments. This year more than any they actually work and change the game for you

Its not enough of us on here saying that it feels authentic to play against Kevin love and box him out and he over powers u for the offensive rebound. But some of us want quick sucess and ask for change and when granted those of us that loved it the way it was gets left in the cold

The first few days im absolutely loving EVERY aspect of the gameplay (even tho I have a loading record), and have been having great games against the CPU as im not an online gamer but I kno my experience will be changed very soon to cater to the "complaints" instead of learning the game and not having instant sucess.

This is a real basketball sim for now let's try to keep it that way and learn how to play the game the way devs intended before we demand change. Change isn't always good!
Old 10-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #48
Rookie

CPU just doesn't miss putbacks. Each time I defend it well in MyCareer, I just get Allowed Man to Score, no Good Shot defense.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »