Home

Offensive rebounding

This is a discussion on Offensive rebounding within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #57
MVP

OVR: 8
Re: Offensive rebounding

First of all I'll say that I've only played My Career. I know it's a different beast, but it's still a game mode. I don't have numbers (and don't see how to see my recent game history when it comes to rebounds), so I'll post back with those. In a case like this people need to post numbers that's the only things that matters here.

Even before posting actual stats I can tell you without QUESTION what a big problem is. Putback%. The CPU is WAY too good here. (I realize the slight hypocrisy of this statement seeing as I haven't posted any numbers yet). I think this is exacerbating whatever problem may or may not be present. (I'll try to keep track of this too). If the other team is going to hit so many of their putbacks then that's still a problem related to offensive rebounding. Rashidi also has a point (and I wonder if a patch can even fix it) that rebounds don't bounce right. With so many rebounds occurring so close to the basket there are a lot of putback opportunities.

Last edited by Hotobu; 10-10-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:33 PM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 0

when being boxed out does anyone know how to spin around the defender?
Old 10-10-2014, 01:37 PM   #59
Rookie

antdoggydogg's Arena

I'm starting to think this might be a difficulty level issue. The whole point of upping the difficulty is to make the game more challenging right? Thats why the tougher game modes result in "cheesing" by the CPU.

I'm playing on Pro, played against the Spurs 3 times, 48 minute games. I havent had any problems boxing them out, I also play defense with my back line though. So I'm always roaming around using Brook Lopez or Garnett on defender when I played them as the Nets. I always make a point to box them out, its just a habit I've developed in 2k and just a natural habit I have when playing basketball. Its a lost art.

Final offensive rebounding stats from the Spurs (CPU) in 3 games: 8, 6, and 10. Averages out to 8. Spurs averaged 9 rebounds in real life last year. They prefer running back in transition. SPOT ON JOB by 2k.

Final offensive rebounding stats from the Nets (User) in 3 games: 1, 7, and 6. Averages out to 4.6, the game with 1 offensive rebound is an outlier since it was my first game. Obviously I was rusty and had to get the feel for the mechanics. So I averaged 6.5 rebounds in my next 2 games. The Nets in real life averaged 9 rebounds last year.

Both the Nets and the Spurs were at the bottom of the leagues standings in offensive rebounds per game. This is completely accurate to me and I hope 2k doesn't change this. I would actually prefer they fix the changes that occur in the different difficulty levels before changing core gameplay mechanics. Or get rid of difficulty levels and just go with one, because at the end of the day people are increasing the difficulty levels and then changing the sliders to suit their liking for a "sim" experience anyway...

But I do know one thing, having a player that plays a ton of minutes and has that badge that allows them to crash the boards super hard is going to result in a ton of offensive rebounds. I remember this happening against the Bulls last year in 2k14 on 360. Noah, Gibson and Boozer absolutely murdered me on the boards every game. But in the final and 7th game of our playoff series I outrebounded them so you can say I made the adjustment. But prior to that they were routinely averaging 20+ offensive rebounds on me per game. They have a very dominant rebounding front court so this wasnt too unbelievable against my small Nets team, but I could definitely tell that the badges were adding at least 10 extra offensive rebounds to their team per game.
Old 10-10-2014, 01:46 PM   #60
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Baller85

I expect that to happen every now and then because that is exactly what happens in real life. Even someone with a 100 box out rating will not box out his man every single possession. But 11 oreb on 4 minute quarters are ridiculous. What off ball defense you had on Melo?

I am wondering what is the interaction of settings on the rebounds now? Basically we may have to play tighter on good rebounders offball even when you don't necessarily feel they are a threat to score.

Say for example you want to sag off a poor shooting big we may not be able to help defend the paint well without giving up say rebounding. I have not tested this but there may be an interaction.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:45 PM   #61
Banned

User vs User
Yes better rated guys like Duncan, Noah, Howard
Yes crash glass is on

It seems like as if my guys are avoiding to get on the good position and escaping from where they can get the rebound out of my control, i sometimes find myself seeing and saying why has he gone there in an odd fashion if you know what i mean. There are instances that this keeps going and 4-5 offensive rebound in a row can happen.

The rebound ratio for offensive galss is the half of defensive glasses so. Some tweaking to the defensive rebounding position could be helpful.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2014, 03:02 PM   #62
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillfeelme
Baller85

I expect that to happen every now and then because that is exactly what happens in real life. Even someone with a 100 box out rating will not box out his man every single possession. But 11 oreb on 4 minute quarters are ridiculous. What off ball defense you had on Melo?

I am wondering what is the interaction of settings on the rebounds now? Basically we may have to play tighter on good rebounders offball even when you don't necessarily feel they are a threat to score.

Say for example you want to sag off a poor shooting big we may not be able to help defend the paint well without giving up say rebounding. I have not tested this but there may be an interaction.
I had auto off ball D on Melo.

& yeah, the frequency of this occurring is what's ridiculous. Especially when you have extremely good rebounders just standing there (Jimmy is rated 70 or 72 in defensive rebounding... way above the average for that position.. & also has high defensive awareness.. yet he fails to box out). And this happened 10 or so more times even when I tried manually boxing out. Didn't happen with just Melo.. but Stoudemire, Chandler, and others. Seems like crashing defensive boards doesn't do much of anything. Even Noah was caught failing to box out multiple times.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:05 PM   #63
MVP

OVR: 3

what are the box out ratings of these people not boxing out? maybe its a tendency as well.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #64
MVP

swac07's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by swac07
Have you guys played around with the boxout assist strength slider in the controller option screen? If so any results(good or bad)?
and again.?

Just trying to receive some input before I go messing with stuff.....

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »