Home

Philly Gamestop Now Requiring Fingerprints

This is a discussion on Philly Gamestop Now Requiring Fingerprints within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience
Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 12:25 AM   #25
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Philly Gamestop Now Requiring Fingerprints

But what can they do with your fingerprints that you wouldn't want them to? Can someone open a bank account or get a massive loan with just your fingerprints?

I'm not being dismissive, I'm really curious as to why some are so against it. Maybe I'm missing something I shouldn't be and I should be less willing to go along with this.

Watch me play video games
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2014, 12:33 AM   #26
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
But what can they do with your fingerprints that you wouldn't want them to? Can someone open a bank account or get a massive loan with just your fingerprints?

I'm not being dismissive, I'm really curious as to why some are so against it. Maybe I'm missing something I shouldn't be and I should be less willing to go along with this.
Doesn't matter whether or not someone can do something with them. People shouldn't have to go through all of that just to trade in some videogames. If you're cool with that,that's your business. Me, I just refuse to do that. That's just over the top.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:34 AM   #27
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt_Carnage
Doesn't matter whether or not someone can do something with them. People shouldn't have to go through all of that just to trade in some videogames. If you're cool with that,that's your business. Me, I just refuse to do that. That's just over the top.
I gotcha. I thought I was missing something big dealing with my personal security.

Watch me play video games
Old 08-03-2014, 12:42 AM   #28
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
I gotcha. I thought I was missing something big dealing with my personal security.
As biometric security grows this could be an issue in the future. We arent too far away from people using things like fingerprints to access ATMs and make other financial transactions. Stolen fingerprints could be used to access those accounts. Most people are comfortable giving that information to a bank or a financial institution. But a video game retailer?

Right now though my issue is why do they need it?
Old 08-03-2014, 12:44 AM   #29
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
And besides this is something the Philly police are pushing on them. Even the city solicitor in Philly has stated that GameStop is not required to collect the thumbprints to abide by the city's pawnbroker order. "What GameStop does doesn't meet any of the elements of the definition in the code, so the pawnbreaker ordinance doesn't apply to GameStop,"
Old 08-03-2014, 12:51 AM   #30
Hall Of Fame

AUChase's Arena

OVR: 35

I carry two legit photo IDs on me. If that isn't good enough, then I would just do business somewhere else. I don't think it's bitching either. It's just disagreeing with a company on how they choose to do business.
Old 08-03-2014, 12:57 AM   #31
$$$

Chrisksaint's Arena

OVR: 33

Well it depends on the law I think cause in Florida these companies seem to follow the pawnbroker laws very seriously so it's never been a thing where I can just bring business elsewhere
Old 08-03-2014, 12:58 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

p_rushing's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.

One thing is the police having access to this whenever they want, without a warrant or probable cause. They run a search on a print and now know who you are without having to do any of the normal police work. You may or may not be guilty, but plenty of innocent people go to jail.

The other thing is them storing the data. In the future your print could be used to do lots of things, no reason for Gamestop to store it. Are they storing it securely? Plenty of places have security breaches, so no reason to put potential data out there about you.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »