Home

TapOrSnap AMA

This is a discussion on TapOrSnap AMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #41
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TapOrSnap AMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauromontt
The game actually feel and look excellent, congrats on that, are there any plan to add diferent cage and ground positions?.
I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I can't speak to any specific future plans I can say we are always looking for ways to expand player options.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #42

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by COMMISSIONERHBK9
I been playing ufc every year and I have to say this is the most fun I have had since the pride days. I notice submission are now automatic what goes thru then to making someone tap and did I turn something on by mistake for that to happen
It's always nice to hear folks are enjoying the game.

This year we decided to do away with the mini game based submissions in favor of transition based submissions. What that means is that when you transition into a submission you continue to play the regular grappling game until it completes. We have added a struggle mechanic which allows you to sacrifice stamina to help drain your opponent and both players have the ability to transition out of the submission should they choose to.

We also added the concept of submission resilience. This is basically your fighter's ability to power out of a submission when all else fails. Allowing a submission to get super deep causes your fighter to perform a desperate escape and depletes your fighter's resilience. Once your resilience is too low to allow for a desperate escape you will instead be submitted.

If you are playing using the grapple assist all of this will happen automatically, with the exception of the struggle which must be initiated. If you are using legacy grapple controls it is played just as the rest of the grapple game.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 01:13 PM   #43

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissues250
Why are we forced to throw just 1 elbow? and posture down automatically? Is there any technical problem or something?
There are both technical and mechanical reasons.

We wanted the ground elbows to feel different and special. If we had implemented them as just another strike you can combo into other strikes we would have had to reduce the visual impact of their animations to make them blend nicely as well as reduce the overall damage to ensure they weren't overpowered. We felt that having them be a strike thrown with the whole body would be more impactful and also offer an opportunity to the postured fighter to choose to posture down in a more damaging way.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #44
Rookie

First of all, thanks to TapOrSnap for being there for us. I haven't been able to buy the game yet, I will inevitably do so as soon as I can.

I am terrible at playing on the ground, I have never liked it, in fact I like fighting with the feet, Muay Thai or boxing more, but the lack of games in these disciplines until now has led me to the UFC, which although attracts to a for me, but the ground game is far from the type of fight I like, which means that many times when I play UFC I do it in stand-up fights.

In the sense of what I said before, I would like the standing fight to have the option of grip, without reaching the ground, this would give more depth to that type of fight, as if it were Muay Thai
Old 10-24-2023, 02:01 PM   #45
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
There are both technical and mechanical reasons.

We wanted the ground elbows to feel different and special. If we had implemented them as just another strike you can combo into other strikes we would have had to reduce the visual impact of their animations to make them blend nicely as well as reduce the overall damage to ensure they weren't overpowered. We felt that having them be a strike thrown with the whole body would be more impactful and also offer an opportunity to the postured fighter to choose to posture down in a more damaging way.

TOS
Wow, I never thought about it that way. Im really going to enjoy my one elbow now!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2023, 02:27 PM   #46

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by skz1904
My only question really is why the movement in these games always looks so stiff and robotic. Especially being that I'm sure some of the Fight Night Champion team is still working there. And I'll also caveat this by saying that FN 3 and FN 4 suffered from the exact same problems as UFC does, FNC is the exception. The footwork is unrealistic. The strikes look unnatural, be it kicks or punches or knees. The only fighter who ever had decent jabs, straights or hooks in these games is Mike Tyson. Probably because he's using FNC animations. The hit reactions are either too pronounced and unrealistic or not pronounced enough, there seems to be no in-between.

Is it because the animation and physics system you guys have don't allow for more realistic and smoother movement? Is it a design choice to make the moves look more telegraphed? Is it an artistic choice because the animation team thinks they look good? I just don't get it. I'm sure you guys have copies of FNC laying around the office. I'm sure you play them. I'm sure you can see the difference?
This is a really good question. Anyone who can come up with a really good answer will have a long and prosperous career in the games industry.

First let me say that on our team we take great pride in how smooth we have managed to get the animation without taking away player agency or responsiveness.

To attempt to answer your question I will use a couple examples.
When people walk they know what they are going to do next. If I am walking forward and decide to turn sideways or back up I instinctively plant my feet accordingly before I try to move. We can't read the player's mind so if they try to change direction mid step we have to either wait until the animation plants or blend as best we can. We have chosen to prioritize responsiveness.

Strikes are a similar issue. We have always prioritized predictability with strike timing. So while we have captured animations with actors moving in many different directions we still have to blend the strike if the player hits that button mid movement. The opponent's actions multiply the challenges because they might be swaying, moving or striking themselves. In real life a fighter takes all these things into account and the computer between their ears adjusts on the fly. We have targeting and blending logic to do the same but depending on how far the captured animation differs from the current state of the game the results can be imperfect.

Long story short. Our animations look fantastic in a vacuum but we have to do a fair amount of post processing to make them work during gameplay and give the player the agency to do things that are unexpected or even strategically unsound. Button mashers do not make our job easier.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 02:33 PM   #47

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tissues250
- seated against the cage position

- finish the fight after ko

- referee interactions for submission and flash ko

can we get this features?
Thanks for the input.

I can't speak to future feature work but we are always looking for ways to give players more options.

We have ref interactions for submissions and ground KOs. They don't happen every time as a few things have to align but keep playing.

Flash KOs don't have a ref interaction when they are walk off KOs.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 02:43 PM   #48

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealthhh
I have a question about the presentation. It's been brought up on YouTube a lot but idk if the devs are fully aware, but Bruce Buffer doesn't introduce the fighters properly atm. We're missing the full fighter intros with their stats, height, weight etc, and region as well. Also the fighters getting patted down before entering the octagon is also gone as of now. I'm wondering if this is a bug because this got brought up on some streams and apparently it's been brought up to the devs but I just want to know for sure because presentation is a big one for me! Is this a bug or did it get removed? If it got removed will it be added back in? Thank you in advance, having a blast with UFC 5 and I can definitely see the game is headed in the right direction and I can't wait to see what updates you guys have for us in the future!
We made this change to address feedback that walkouts were too long, so were looking at ways to shorten the prefight and get players into game quickly.

For 3 round fights in career, we wanted to build the experience up to the player and save all the 5 round pageantry for later in career. Giving the player a sense of progression.

TOS

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »