Home

TapOrSnap AMA

This is a discussion on TapOrSnap AMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2023, 03:46 PM   #9
EA Sports UFC Developer

OVR: 0
Re: TapOrSnap AMA

Yes I am the primary AI dev on the team, however we are indeed a team. Other people contribute to AI and I contribute to many other domains as well. The AI benefits just as much as the players from all the improvements in gameplay mechanics and systems, as well as the work done directly to the AI's systems.

Glad you're enjoying it
Old 10-23-2023, 03:52 PM   #10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowingForVengeance
If at all possible, please add more body types for female fighters. I don't understand why there's only been the same four for the last few games when male fighters get so many more options.

Totally agree on that.

But also in terms of hairstyles, girls have an immense world of hairstyles to exploit, and until now it is very simple, even inferior to that of men, I lack big hair, long hair, both straight and with curls, long hair also tied up with a ponytail. , pigtails, braids...

I know that the majority leans toward the male gender, but there are those of us who also like to enjoy the female gender.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:00 PM   #11
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeowingForVengeance
If at all possible, please add more body types for female fighters. I don't understand why there's only been the same four for the last few games when male fighters get so many more options.
That's very useful feedback thank you.

I was never privy to the reasons why we have X male vs X female body types in game. Though having worked on the technologies we employ to deal with variation in body types I can say most of our challenges are in men's divisions. Especially in divisions like Heavy weight where you can have someone like Stephan Struve fighting Daniel Cormier. This has necessitated a wider range of body types for males whereas in the female divisions, which lack heavier weight divisions, fighters are typically distinguished more by height than by girth.

I remember how excited I was when we got to add female divisions to the game and I hope the sport in general continues to have more female representation.

TOS
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2023, 04:12 PM   #12

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiqueros
Totally agree on that.

But also in terms of hairstyles, girls have an immense world of hairstyles to exploit, and until now it is very simple, even inferior to that of men, I lack big hair, long hair, both straight and with curls, long hair also tied up with a ponytail. , pigtails, braids...

I know that the majority leans toward the male gender, but there are those of us who also like to enjoy the female gender.
Thank you for this feedback

I agree more is always better and I don't think there is a soul on the dev team who would argue that fact.

We replaced our hair simulation tech on this iteration of the game and I believe all of the associated assets had to be recreated. The focus would have been on roster fighters.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:20 PM   #13
Rookie

Might not be a question you can answer, but the new character models are honestly phenominal - Bruce Leeroy, TKZ, Cruz just to name a few. Is there any chance other legends will get new model updates - characters like Pettis, Frankie, Machida, Rashad etc might get updates too? Or is that only likely with Alter Egos?
Old 10-23-2023, 04:23 PM   #14
Rookie

Well I know we're tired of hearing this, but I'm just as tired of having to use archetypes to play offline.

Archetypes are a good idea to create a fighter quickly, without too much work, even to play online, they will surely be very necessary,
but for those of us who like to completely edit a fighter, this can be an absolute disappointment.

There are things that I can't understand, like forcing us all to use archetypes.

Although now I know that I increased the creation CAF to 50, I think, clearly better than 22, but even so I expected at least 100 spaces.

I don't understand why you always limit, you have to give free rein to the creation of fighters, I can spend hours and hours creating, even more time on occasions than playing, I have always liked creating and editing characters.
Old 10-23-2023, 04:25 PM   #15

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player2793
Might not be a question you can answer, but the new character models are honestly phenominal - Bruce Leeroy, TKZ, Cruz just to name a few. Is there any chance other legends will get new model updates - characters like Pettis, Frankie, Machida, Rashad etc might get updates too? Or is that only likely with Alter Egos?
Thank you for your kind words. We put a lot of work into getting onto this engine for the visual fidelity improvements it gave us.

I can't speak to plans moving forward but I know that on previous titles we have made updates to fighter's models. Typically it is due to an active fighter changing with time or because we are adding a variant from a different time in their career.

Last edited by TapOrSnap; 10-23-2023 at 04:44 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2023, 04:41 PM   #16

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiqueros
Well I know we're tired of hearing this, but I'm just as tired of having to use archetypes to play offline.

Archetypes are a good idea to create a fighter quickly, without too much work, even to play online, they will surely be very necessary,
but for those of us who like to completely edit a fighter, this can be an absolute disappointment.

There are things that I can't understand, like forcing us all to use archetypes.

Although now I know that I increased the creation CAF to 50, I think, clearly better than 22, but even so I expected at least 100 spaces.

I don't understand why you always limit, you have to give free rein to the creation of fighters, I can spend hours and hours creating, even more time on occasions than playing, I have always liked creating and editing characters.
Archetypes are a fairly frequent topic of discussion within the team.

Our game has so many available moves and so many avenues to victory the ensuring that all possible fighter builds are balanced is daunting.

There are always going to be folks who want to put all their skill points into their overhand and one punch KO everything they see and there will always be folks who want a sim experience where all fighters are fairly well rounded with specialties in specific areas.

Being a traditionally offline player myself I like the idea of open skill trees, as playing offline if there is an exploitable build and I choose to use it because that's fun for me I should be able to, it's not hurting anyone. Once we get online though it is problematic. I remember in UFC 1 the takedown to side control was too easy and the follow up kimura as well, we had to address this in subsequent patches. Imagine if I could build a fighter with just one fantastic takedown into just one fantastic submission, my opponent wouldn't know I had that build until the fight ended. That wouldn't be a very good experience.

Archetypes are an attempt to allow you to create a fighter but still have a balanced online experience.

TOS

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »