Home

TapOrSnap AMA

This is a discussion on TapOrSnap AMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-23-2023, 04:47 PM   #17
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: TapOrSnap AMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
Archetypes are a fairly frequent topic of discussion within the team.

Our game has so many available moves and so many avenues to victory the ensuring that all possible fighter builds are balanced is daunting.

There are always going to be folks who want to put all their skill points into their overhand and one punch KO everything they see and there will always be folks who want a sim experience where all fighters are fairly well rounded with specialties in specific areas.

Being a traditionally offline player myself I like the idea of open skill trees, as playing offline if there is an exploitable build and I choose to use it because that's fun for me I should be able to, it's not hurting anyone. Once we get online though it is problematic. I remember in UFC 1 the takedown to side control was too easy and the follow up kimura as well, we had to address this in subsequent patches. Imagine if I could build a fighter with just one fantastic takedown into just one fantastic submission, my opponent wouldn't know I had that build until the fight ended. That wouldn't be a very good experience.

Archetypes are an attempt to allow you to create a fighter but still have a balanced online experience.

TOS
To go off this, and I’m not an online player at all so I could be talking nonsense lol, can you see your opponents top 5 moves similar to how you can look at stats for the fighters offline? Or is there maybe a way to incorporate that in the future that way you can see if your opponent has maxed out certain moves or not? Not sure how possible that is on the future for online or if it would be useful. But might be a way to also bridge that gap between offline and online?
Old 10-23-2023, 05:13 PM   #18
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Waterboy92
To go off this, and I’m not an online player at all so I could be talking nonsense lol, can you see your opponents top 5 moves similar to how you can look at stats for the fighters offline? Or is there maybe a way to incorporate that in the future that way you can see if your opponent has maxed out certain moves or not? Not sure how possible that is on the future for online or if it would be useful. But might be a way to also bridge that gap between offline and online?
A good suggestion. I would be worried that going through your opponent's move list to see if they have tried to maximize one of their skill trees would become a necessary step in the fight flow. It might slow things down a little. These are the sort of considerations we have to make.

TOS
Old 10-23-2023, 05:16 PM   #19
EA Sports UFC Developer

Agree that sounds like a cool little pre-fight feature though. Outside of the concerns Tap noted, would be interesting and maybe change your gameplan going into a fight if you could see the last 5 win methods of your opponent at a glance.
Old 10-23-2023, 05:19 PM   #20
Rookie

Any chances fighters uniqueness will be improved? I'm thinking what was done (very well) for Dominick Cruz expanded to more and more fighters?
Old 10-23-2023, 05:22 PM   #21
Pro

Yeah that could be neat to see and would def change how you approach the fight, but I agree it might slow things down I see that point. Hard to balance all those factors I’m sure
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-23-2023, 05:39 PM   #22

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWSS
Any chances fighters uniqueness will be improved? I'm thinking what was done (very well) for Dominick Cruz expanded to more and more fighters?
We are always looking for ways to improve fighter differentiation.

During development of previous UFC titles and their post launch timelines we have always had to weigh the benefit of spending resources refining the fighters we have against addressing bugs/balance, new fighters and other development.

Where fighter differentiation fit was always a matter of prioritization. So that's a tough one to answer yes or no to. So I'll just say there is always a chance.

TOS
Old 10-23-2023, 05:53 PM   #23
Rookie

What can we expect from post-launch updates for UFC 5? Any chance the clinch gets expanded through them?

Also as a both offline and online player, I feel like a universe mode is exactly what offline players need. A totally unscripted universe where fighters try to climb the rankings. Has that ever been discussed by the team?

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2023, 06:09 PM   #24

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by AggelosP
What can we expect from post-launch updates for UFC 5? Any chance the clinch gets expanded through them?

Also as a both offline and online player, I feel like a universe mode is exactly what offline players need. A totally unscripted universe where fighters try to climb the rankings. Has that ever been discussed by the team?

Thanks!
As I said in previous posts during post launch we traditionally prioritize whatever we think will be of the greatest benefit to the game. So there is always a chance.

I can't speak to features that we might be discussing adding into the game now or in the future but I will say that it is exceedingly rare that someone asks me if we have considered a feature and we have not.

TOS

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »