Home

TapOrSnap AMA

This is a discussion on TapOrSnap AMA within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2023, 04:15 PM   #57
EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

TapOrSnap's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: TapOrSnap AMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakywwe
Appreciate the response!

Absolutely understand from a design point of overwhelming the end user with too many options, and having to support all of those options, it's something I try to avoid myself in my own job while designing applications.

To give a little background on why we feel so strongly about the shorts. Many of use run our own "Universes" in an excel spreadsheet that tracks our cards that we use as a tracker (My personal sheet even has some calculations for rankings and such), so we effectively use event mode as our "Universe" mode so not being able to put our "Champion" in his championship shorts just takes away from that sense of realism. It's an incredibly minor thing, but I think it all stands out to us because it was in the game for UFC 2 and then just disappeared with no real explanation behind it, so we've all kindof been wondering for years whether this was deliberate design choice (Either by the team or a direction from the UFC) or was just a glitch that was never looked at.

I think people also have the idea that it should be an easy fix since it's just shorts, but having worked in application design I know full well nothing is ever a simple "fix" without something seemingly unrelated breaking in the background, so I appreciate that you could at least confirm it's just something the dev team never saw value in, which I can absolutely understand, even if we do.

Thank you!
I appreciate your understanding but I want to clarify one thing as I don't want my comments taken out of context. I never said the dev team didn't see value in it. I was talking about myself specifically as a player. The fighter shorts color is not my domain on the team and as a player it isn't something that enters into my play experience with the exception of when I run a mirror match. So I was not even aware of the issue personally until I read about it on here.

As a player it still doesn't matter to me.

As a dev it definitely matters as it is impacting player's experiences. One of the reasons for doing this AMA is to better understand what the major sticking points are for our players.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 04:18 PM   #58
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TapOrSnap
Thank you for the input. We always try to balance the excitement of getting a knockdown with the realism of not letting it happen too often. However since you aren't actually in your fighter's head, health events are one of the primary ways we communicate the severity of your situation, so we have typically erred on the side of too many is better than too few.

In our game we have several different types of KD. Alert knockdowns where the fighter stumbles but automatically comes up, regular knockdowns where the fighter falls to the ground, and physics knockdowns where we've detected the fighter is in a situation where they are too unbalanced to stay standing such as when their legs are kicked out from under them and the animation can't recover.

We used to have recovery delays on the regular knockdowns depending on severity but the majority of players didn't enjoy that feature so they have been greatly reduced. In general we shy away from taking control away from the player.

We will continue to review the frequencies of all health events.

TOS
What if when a shot lands and its having an impact, instead of visually showing that, you made the controller vibrate.

So even a solid jab landed, I would know it had an effect.

IRL, sometimes shots hurt and impact the fight, but it's not obvious, even to the opponent.

This would create even more elements of poker throughout.

Sent from my SM-F926U using Tapatalk
Old 10-24-2023, 04:21 PM   #59
MVP

Quote:
We made this change to address feedback that walkouts were too long, so were looking at ways to shorten the prefight and get players into game quickly.

For 3 round fights in career, we wanted to build the experience up to the player and save all the 5 round pageantry for later in career. Giving the player a sense of progression.

TOS
This would be another example where you responded to feedback from one group by eliminating an element that others might enjoy.

Instead of adding elements for those that like walkouts and want even more details, while giving those that don't care the option to skip, you just eliminated it for all.

The logic of how you came to do what you did makes sense, but the execution is not ideal for users like myself who don't play the game to rush through as many online fights as we can.

Old 10-24-2023, 04:23 PM   #60
Just started!

Probably a terrible spot for this but I have a bug to report and don’t know where else to do it.

I stopped receiving XP in the online career mode. After every win it just say I gained 0 xp and my xp bar doesn’t move from 500/550

Started happening after using my final double xp coin. Also after creating fighters for other divisions and ‘activating’ them. Don’t know if either of those 2 things may be playing a part.

I’m on Xbox gamer tag zzzeric

Last edited by zzzzeric; 10-24-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-24-2023, 04:28 PM   #61
Pro

Quote:
I appreciate your understanding but I want to clarify one thing as I don't want my comments taken out of context. I never said the dev team didn't see value in it. I was talking about myself specifically as a player. The fighter shorts color is not my domain on the team and as a player it isn't something that enters into my play experience with the exception of when I run a mirror match. So I was not even aware of the issue personally until I read about it on here.

As a player it still doesn't matter to me.

As a dev it definitely matters as it is impacting player's experiences. One of the reasons for doing this AMA is to better understand what the major sticking points are for our players.

TOS
Absolutely. “Value” was a poor choice of words on my part, it’s pretty clear there are far higher priorities then shorts colours on the dev team, which I fully support, but I appreciate you getting this feedback back to whoever needs to hear it so that it can potentially get out on the docket to at least take a look at it.

Thank you for doing this
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2023, 05:15 PM   #62

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish0331
Firstly, I'm that guy. Had my tantrum. I was gonna show EA by not buying the game/won't support EA again yadda yadda and cancelled my pre order. Then I get home last night, yeah...i went back and bought it. You guys love people like me. Fortunately $100 doesnt break the bank for me so whatever. Whats done is done.

This intro thing is a great example of decisions that are baffling. I know you have thousands of them to make, literally, but some are just...I dunno. So in this case, intros are cut down to cater to the people who think they take too long. Well, they have the x button to skip thru it. You've given that community of people the option to get into the fight quick. But then you remove a few extra seconds worth of immersive content from the people who actually do want to see/hear it for the same reason? Seems a bit overkillish.

Sounds alot like the cage grappling/grinding choice, which is a huge gripe of mine. My understanding is that there is some large community of players who "dont like getting stuck against the cage" and thats why grinding was removed. I get it. I dont like getting stuck on my back against the cage. Also, I dont like getting full mounted, but thats still a thing. Anyway, you catered to this community by giving them stand and bang. Boom, problem solved for the non grappler types. So, why drop it from MMA mode? Cage grappling is as integral to the sport of MMA as striking and ground fighting. We had it. The stand and bangers are happy. What about the rest of us. After all, this is an MMA game.

Lastly, I know its probably not as simple as installing an on/off wall switch, but offline caf customizing is a must. Archetypes were/are an awesome add in order to get a caf up and running asap. But being able to truly build a CAF from the bottom up adds so much value for a big community of fans who've been buying your games since Fedor and Randy graced the cover. I get that online, its a trainwreck full of 99's. But theres gotta be something that can be done to give the offliners something they can really sink their teeth into.

I think alot of fan frustration is born from the fact that alot of these things were already there for us in the past. Like, shorts colors/champ shorts. Removing something that worked completely fine vs improving upon it is why alot of folks feel like we're moving backwards.

All that said, I got about an hour on the sticks last night playing 5 and it feels different in a good way.

There, I've wiped my tears and put my big boy pants on.
Wow a lot to unpack there. I'll work from bottom to top.

You wear whatever pants you want. You do you.

I am so glad that you appreciate the work we've done.

Working in the past does not necessarily mean it can continue to work moving forward. Often when we make a major change to our game mechanically we have to completely recapture the assets associated with it. For example when we changed the grappling system in UFC 2 and when we changed the standup system in UFC 3 we had to recapture almost all of our assets for those systems. They were both monumental efforts. If there is a portion of a system we are replacing which is unpopular or low return on investment that is often a portion we will choose not to reimplement in favor of spending our resources on features which will bring greater value to our players.

Again I can't comment on why we haven't done exhaustive champ shorts in this title but I can comment that UFC 2 isn't an argument why we should. None of the UFC 2 clothing assets are usable in the current game for a litany of reasons and any up to date equivalents would need to be recreated from scratch.

I think I have already addressed the rest of your comments throughout this AMA hopefully this helps clarify further.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 05:23 PM   #63

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRizzzle
What if when a shot lands and its having an impact, instead of visually showing that, you made the controller vibrate.

So even a solid jab landed, I would know it had an effect.

IRL, sometimes shots hurt and impact the fight, but it's not obvious, even to the opponent.

This would create even more elements of poker throughout.

Using controller vibration for a game mechanic comes up often both internally during design and as external feedback on forums. That sounds good on the surface except that there is always a requirement that vibration can be turned off. This is for very good reason as many people need to be able to turn it off for accessibility reasons.

However the ability to play without vibration means that we can't base any game mechanic purely on controller vibration as it would exclude those individuals who turn it off out of preference or necessity.

TOS
Old 10-24-2023, 05:31 PM   #64

TapOrSnap's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzzeric
Probably a terrible spot for this but I have a bug to report and don’t know where else to do it.

I stopped receiving XP in the online career mode. After every win it just say I gained 0 xp and my xp bar doesn’t move from 500/550

Started happening after using my final double xp coin. Also after creating fighters for other divisions and ‘activating’ them. Don’t know if either of those 2 things may be playing a part.

I’m on Xbox gamer tag zzzeric
Sorry to hear that.

Career XP is not my domain but I will forward your report to the team responsible.

TOS

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »