Home

EA Sports UFC 5 Trial and Deluxe Edition Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here

This is a discussion on EA Sports UFC 5 Trial and Deluxe Edition Available Now - Post Your Impressions Here within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-28-2023, 05:25 AM   #49
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports UFC 5 Trial and Deluxe Edition Available Now - Post Your Impressions He

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedMetalArts
Had another couple fights this morning while sober to see if it made a difference, unfortunately opinion hasn't changed. Buggy and weird, Nick Diaz throwing spinning shiz constantly too, can't customise CAF stats/moves offline etc which has already been highlighted many times.
Do need to say though, even though I don't like the game i hope Tap and Skynet don't think I/we are crapping on them personally. I respect their contributions and it's real cool that they come in here to talk to us. I'm an app Dev myself and I know users can be absolutely terrible and unfair. I think a lot of people will like this game, it's just not for the Sim lads
The "sim" vs "casual" thing is a bit overblown imo. I've been thinking about that conversation recently in a different way. I'll give you an example that I think can clear up what I'm saying. Take WWE 2k wrestling, we would't consider that a "sim" simulation sports game, would you agree? However, the characters move with "real world" physics because the game is based on "real world" characters/people. For the most part, aside from occasional clipping or sliding that happens in games, the characters move "realistically" like humans are supposed to move in general.

I would say a huge portion of the fan base for that game could be considered "casual" no? It has no major issues holding peoples attention (not that I can see at least), even though the characters move with "weight" and take actual steps around the ring. Hope I'm making sense here. MMA, boxing, basketball, etc aren't fantasy based games like your Mortal Kombats, Street Fighters, etc. The base foundation for games that are emulating "real world" sports should always be "real world" physics integration, UNLESS in a few cases, its an arcade based title like NBA Street, NFL Blitz, etc that CLEARLY is making a cartoon representation of the sport, those can be given a pass when it comes to movement.

My issue is (and this is what has stopped me from purchasing up to this point), is the complete disregard for proper character movement for a game of this nature. It's unacceptable, and I don't think it has much to do with being "casual" or "sim" oriented, its the fact that it isn't a fantasy based game. I'm certainly not the only one with this sentiment, and to be honest, I don't think "casuals" would notice much, and they'll purchase regardless. You'll actually increase your sales by focusing on the purists of the sports (which are HUGE silent demographics).

I'll close with this. Let's say you have 500,000 casuals, these guys/gals don't have much attention to detail (no slight, just speaking facts). You're going to get those 500,000 sales for EVERY release regardless just because, no matter how the physics work. Now let's say you have 250,000 more purists who DONT purchase because the game physics are terrible.

I would much rather get the foundation of the game correct (physics) for the purists which would get me all 750,000 sales, instead of leaving the purists out of the equation and taking the 500,000 sales. So yes, the purists may be less people (who knows), but they could possibly double your sales. These developers shoot themselves in the foot without even realizing it imo. Now all of the "casuals" are having a grand time lol, but the company just missed out on an entire demographic of people that they could have captured, while at the same time not having to worry about the casual players who were going to buy it anyway lol. Hope that makes sense.
Old 10-28-2023, 06:12 AM   #50
MVP

Re: EA Sports UFC 5 Trial and Deluxe Edition Available Now - Post Your Impressions He

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
The "sim" vs "casual" thing is a bit overblown imo. I've been thinking about that conversation recently in a different way. I'll give you an example that I think can clear up what I'm saying. Take WWE 2k wrestling, we would't consider that a "sim" simulation sports game, would you agree? However, the characters move with "real world" physics because the game is based on "real world" characters/people. For the most part, aside from occasional clipping or sliding that happens in games, the characters move "realistically" like humans are supposed to move in general.

I would say a huge portion of the fan base for that game could be considered "casual" no? It has no major issues holding peoples attention (not that I can see at least), even though the characters move with "weight" and take actual steps around the ring. Hope I'm making sense here. MMA, boxing, basketball, etc aren't fantasy based games like your Mortal Kombats, Street Fighters, etc. The base foundation for games that are emulating "real world" sports should always be "real world" physics integration, UNLESS in a few cases, its an arcade based title like NBA Street, NFL Blitz, etc that CLEARLY is making a cartoon representation of the sport, those can be given a pass when it comes to movement.

My issue is (and this is what has stopped me from purchasing up to this point), is the complete disregard for proper character movement for a game of this nature. It's unacceptable, and I don't think it has much to do with being "casual" or "sim" oriented, its the fact that it isn't a fantasy based game. I'm certainly not the only one with this sentiment, and to be honest, I don't think "casuals" would notice much, and they'll purchase regardless. You'll actually increase your sales by focusing on the purists of the sports (which are HUGE silent demographics).

I'll close with this. Let's say you have 500,000 casuals, these guys/gals don't have much attention to detail (no slight, just speaking facts). You're going to get those 500,000 sales for EVERY release regardless just because, no matter how the physics work. Now let's say you have 250,000 more purists who DONT purchase because the game physics are terrible.

I would much rather get the foundation of the game correct (physics) for the purists which would get me all 750,000 sales, instead of leaving the purists out of the equation and taking the 500,000 sales. So yes, the purists may be less people (who knows), but they could possibly double your sales. These developers shoot themselves in the foot without even realizing it imo. Now all of the "casuals" are having a grand time lol, but the company just missed out on an entire demographic of people that they could have captured, while at the same time not having to worry about the casual players who were going to buy it anyway lol. Hope that makes sense.
to me is more simple, casual play for fun they dont care if it is realistic or not, competitive the majority also don't care, they care about balance and learning curve. So we got now sim players that want realistic features with is, proper footwork, stamina, block and etc... years ago I was very root about this but nowadays I'm assuming that, yeah, somethings can't be to realistic because of balance and it what it is
Old 10-28-2023, 07:59 AM   #51
Pro

Also I’ll say the simulation mode really gives the feel for a slower paced more realistic fight.

The game itself will never go hard in that direction because 1) there aren’t enough people who like the realistic style of ply to matter that much and 2) most of them will buy the game anyway either at launch or on discount because they want an mma game (I’m in this category)

So we kinda have to accept the game for what it is. It won’t have the grappling I like or enjoy, and the presentation and offline modes are greatly lacking, but I’m still having fun and the simulation fights really have been some of the best I’ve had on a ufc game
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2023, 08:54 AM   #52
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmlimo
to me is more simple, casual play for fun they dont care if it is realistic or not, competitive the majority also don't care, they care about balance and learning curve. So we got now sim players that want realistic features with is, proper footwork, stamina, block and etc... years ago I was very root about this but nowadays I'm assuming that, yeah, somethings can't be to realistic because of balance and it what it is
That's exactly my point, you're going to get the sale from the casual and competitive crowd either way it goes, realistic movement or not, and add to the fact that the brand names alone (EA, UFC, MMA) will pull in sales automatically. They really don't have to work for that crowd, easy day. The focus should always be the sports purist or "sim" crowd, they're losing those sales. That's an entire different demographic that you're losing out on, I thought the goal was to maximize sales or no?
Old 10-28-2023, 08:58 AM   #53
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Waterboy92
Also I’ll say the simulation mode really gives the feel for a slower paced more realistic fight.

The game itself will never go hard in that direction because 1) there aren’t enough people who like the realistic style of ply to matter that much and 2) most of them will buy the game anyway either at launch or on discount because they want an mma game (I’m in this category)

So we kinda have to accept the game for what it is. It won’t have the grappling I like or enjoy, and the presentation and offline modes are greatly lacking, but I’m still having fun and the simulation fights really have been some of the best I’ve had on a ufc game
They don't really have to go too hard in a different direction, all they would have to do is simply motion capture a few fighters in a sparring session and the issue would take care of itself. It's the character movement that's the biggest problem, everything else can remain as they've already developed it and be adjusted to taste with the already provided sliders.

You know what the crazy part is, they actually already have the correct animations in the game. Look closely in the background of the gym during career mode and you see the proper footwork and correct movement on the characters there.

Last edited by kingsofthevalley; 10-28-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-28-2023, 09:49 AM   #54
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
They don't really have to go too hard in a different direction, all they would have to do is simply motion capture a few fighters in a sparring session and the issue would take care of itself. It's the character movement that's the biggest problem, everything else can remain as they've already developed it and be adjusted to taste with the already provided sliders.

You know what the crazy part is, they actually already have the correct animations in the game. Look closely in the background of the gym during career mode and you see the proper footwork and correct movement on the characters there.
Dude I actually never thought I’d that haha. The background of gym does have those animations holy smokes… 🤯 I never paid much attention
Old 10-28-2023, 10:08 AM   #55
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Waterboy92
Dude I actually never thought I’d that haha. The background of gym does have those animations holy smokes… 🤯 I never paid much attention
Yeah man, it's like a bizarro world when you think about it. Everything is flipped around the wrong way. The fighters in the background are how the "in ring" fighters are supposed to move, and the stiff character movement in the ring you would think should be on the background characters lol, because they're just that, background characters that you're not paying attention to. The fighters that you're paying attention to while playing should have the detailed movement, but such is life I suppose. I'm still playing the 10 hour trial attempting to find something to like but the movement is throwing me off too much.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2023, 12:11 PM   #56
Rookie

OVR: 1

PRO AI - Need to tone down the AI overusing the spin mechanic especially for fighters who rarely spin.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »