Home

Let's Talk Recruiting ( CFB 25)

This is a discussion on Let's Talk Recruiting ( CFB 25) within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Let's Talk Recruiting ( CFB 25)

I hope it is set up that way. I'd love for even when you're scouting is as good as it can be you can't just know everyone's ratings 100%.

I also hope no matter what, every single recruit has a hidden development trait until they reach a certain snap count. Even if they're a Normal trait, I want it hidden until they hit their snap count. 2 star? Hidden. 5 star? Hidden.

Then, busts and gems happen a bit more like they do in real life where once they're under the lights do you really see what they got.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 09:39 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgiafan
NBA 2K was the only sports game I got deep into while NCAA was away and while I loved that. I was surprised when I played Madden last year and all the hate it gets. How much I preferred its drafting to 2K. This was because in 2K I could scout pretty much everyone 100%. In Madden you were limited to the amount of people you fully scouted mostly which added up to some mystery and bad draft picks. Which I would guess will carry over to recruiting.

Do yall think it will be similar and we don't know the full ratings of most players we sign? I would think some of camp at the school with a number of invites.

Also since I use historic draft classes in 2K its different then the generic ones I used some in Madden. It was a reminder of how much you get attached to the virtual players. So a recruiting battle and unknowns if your going to get them will only add to that. Here is to hoping your able to flip commits on signing day.
Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
I hope it is set up that way. I'd love for even when you're scouting is as good as it can be you can't just know everyone's ratings 100%.

I also hope no matter what, every single recruit has a hidden development trait until they reach a certain snap count. Even if they're a Normal trait, I want it hidden until they hit their snap count. 2 star? Hidden. 5 star? Hidden.

Then, busts and gems happen a bit more like they do in real life where once they're under the lights do you really see what they got.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
I agree with both..

There should be some uncertainty. I definitely think there should be a hidden dev trait. That would also help when importing guys to Madden. I would even go as far to say, I don't want to see guys immediately being labeled as Gem or Bust, until they reach a snap benchmark. No one knows a 5 star is a bust or a 3 star is a gem until he has gotten enough snaps.

I do agree that I we shouldn't know ratings 100%. My only issue with that is that I want to be able to edit recruits in the database before the recruiting process starts. My dream would be that there will be the ability to create and download custom recruiting classes, but I highly doubt it. My issue is that in the past and even now, most sports games draft/recruiting databases are filled with very limited player templates. It always feels like they only use the same type of player archetypes. I want to see more variety in the recruits. My hope is that at least they have what 2k has, which is a slider to adjust the quality of recruits in a class.

I do hope they bring back the emphasis on establishing Pipelines. I wouldn't even mind if it was just choosing 3 states like in the past. This is where I hope that there I some type of recruiting staff or having Coaches bio play into that. We shouldn't just be able to pick any states, unless we have ties to that state. So, If I make a team that's located in Montana or something, I shouldn't just be able to pick Texas, Florida, and California as my Pipeline States. But, if my coordinators have ties to those states, it should allow me to get guys from those states at an increased rate compared to other states, which should eventually establish that state as a Pipeline. In real life, Colorado pretty much established Florida as a pipeline because of Deion Sanders and recruiting Staff members has great ties to that state. For me, a good Pipeline system is important. I want to do the build up a 1 star school into a powerhouse as a created school. But, I feel like I'm going to give myself an advantage by placing that school in a great pipeline state like Texas or Florida, so I can start off by just recruiting in-state. But, I want more of a challenge than that. So, if we can have a system where we can establish pipelines, then I can give myself more of a challenge. All coaches should have a specialty. For example, Playcaller, Developer, and Recruiter. Coaches with Recruiter Specialty, should have a State Recruiting Tie(whether that is homestate or college state). So let's say Pipeline states gives you a 20% increased rate a recruit. Having a coach with a recruiting tie, should give you up to a 10% increased rate a recruit. That way, once you recruit so many guys from that state, it becomes a pipeline state. So if you have a Coach with a recruiting tie and it's a pipeline state, it becomes an even bigger increased rate(let's say 25%).

That would be a good way to have to figure out how you want to assemble your coaching staff. Do you want your Coaches to be good at calling plays, or good at increased progression of players, or be good recruiters. Not sure how you can incentivize your coordinators to be good playcallers if we're calling plays. But, it would be a cool way to decide how you want to hire your coordinators. Coaches with Developer Specialty brings increased progression of players and Boost ratings of players at a certain position. Coaches with Recruiter Speciality brings a State Recruiting Tie and increased chances of finding gems. If you're starting out at a 1 star school, it'll be cool to decide how you want to hire coordinators. I would make my Head Coach have a Developer Specialty that way the whole team has a increased progression rate and I could see boosts over the whole team and both of my coordinators have Recruiting Specialty

Also, it would be nice to have High School stats for Recruits
Old 03-15-2024, 09:39 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 0

I have the same opinion of NIL as Saban.
Old 03-15-2024, 09:52 PM   #28
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
I agree with both..

There should be some uncertainty. I definitely think there should be a hidden dev trait. That would also help when importing guys to Madden. I would even go as far to say, I don't want to see guys immediately being labeled as Gem or Bust, until they reach a snap benchmark. No one knows a 5 star is a bust or a 3 star is a gem until he has gotten enough snaps.

I do agree that I we shouldn't know ratings 100%. My only issue with that is that I want to be able to edit recruits in the database before the recruiting process starts. My dream would be that there will be the ability to create and download custom recruiting classes, but I highly doubt it. My issue is that in the past and even now, most sports games draft/recruiting databases are filled with very limited player templates. It always feels like they only use the same type of player archetypes. I want to see more variety in the recruits. My hope is that at least they have what 2k has, which is a slider to adjust the quality of recruits in a class.

I do hope they bring back the emphasis on establishing Pipelines. I wouldn't even mind if it was just choosing 3 states like in the past. This is where I hope that there I some type of recruiting staff or having Coaches bio play into that. We shouldn't just be able to pick any states, unless we have ties to that state. So, If I make a team that's located in Montana or something, I shouldn't just be able to pick Texas, Florida, and California as my Pipeline States. But, if my coordinators have ties to those states, it should allow me to get guys from those states at an increased rate compared to other states, which should eventually establish that state as a Pipeline. In real life, Colorado pretty much established Florida as a pipeline because of Deion Sanders and recruiting Staff members has great ties to that state. For me, a good Pipeline system is important. I want to do the build up a 1 star school into a powerhouse as a created school. But, I feel like I'm going to give myself an advantage by placing that school in a great pipeline state like Texas or Florida, so I can start off by just recruiting in-state. But, I want more of a challenge than that. So, if we can have a system where we can establish pipelines, then I can give myself more of a challenge. All coaches should have a specialty. For example, Playcaller, Developer, and Recruiter. Coaches with Recruiter Specialty, should have a State Recruiting Tie(whether that is homestate or college state). So let's say Pipeline states gives you a 20% increased rate a recruit. Having a coach with a recruiting tie, should give you up to a 10% increased rate a recruit. That way, once you recruit so many guys from that state, it becomes a pipeline state. So if you have a Coach with a recruiting tie and it's a pipeline state, it becomes an even bigger increased rate(let's say 25%).

That would be a good way to have to figure out how you want to assemble your coaching staff. Do you want your Coaches to be good at calling plays, or good at increased progression of players, or be good recruiters. Not sure how you can incentivize your coordinators to be good playcallers if we're calling plays. But, it would be a cool way to decide how you want to hire your coordinators. Coaches with Developer Specialty brings increased progression of players and Boost ratings of players at a certain position. Coaches with Recruiter Speciality brings a State Recruiting Tie and increased chances of finding gems. If you're starting out at a 1 star school, it'll be cool to decide how you want to hire coordinators. I would make my Head Coach have a Developer Specialty that way the whole team has a increased progression rate and I could see boosts over the whole team and both of my coordinators have Recruiting Specialty

Also, it would be nice to have High School stats for Recruits
Every school has camps which are similar to the NFL combine where players are evaluated. Coaches have a very good idea what skills/attributes a recruit has. What can't be measured is desire and work ethic. That's how a guy like Cody Schrader goes from walk on to all SEC.

My preference would be for the recruit's skills/attributes to closely match what his scouting report says but his progression is not as exact. A lot of high school stars get by on athletic ability but aren't willing to put in the work in college.
Old 03-16-2024, 09:56 AM   #29
Pro

jkits's Arena

OVR: 3

Some things that interest my mind are seeing how they may introduce some new nuances into the fold of recruiting, whether they're necessary or for luxury.

Punter ratings vs Kicker rating: necessary
In the same way EA has evolved the QB pass ratings, having punt power & acc, separate from FG kick power & acc would distinguish a true punter or kicker. Maybe a recruit can do both, or you have an ATH who has a high punt power or kick power rating if you ever needed a utility kicker.

Ball-snap rating: necessary
I think being able to recruit a true center is having one who can snap the ball well. It impacts the timing of how plays are executed, and gives you another reason to recruit a good center who not only blocks well but is an efficient snapper. In the past you could move a guard or tackle to the center position like its nothing, but MOST o-lineman are not skilled at snapping the ball. In a shotgun heavy era of football, a snap rating can affect the velocity (speed) of the snap (or how fast it gets to the QB) and how accurate the snap is. High snaps, low snaps, and fumbles at the snap happen. This rating would also be tied to their morale. Would love to see this element introduced at some point.

Local Recruiting: luxury
I think there should be an even greater incentive for recruiting in-state, something deeper and a system of its own. Not just an incentive of a higher boost of points towards recruiting, but the opportunity to discover recruits that aren't listed in the recruiting pool. In the Raleigh/Durham area of NC, the recruiters from NC State, UNC, Duke, NC Central and even other D2 schools stop by the local high schools from time to time seeking potential under the radar recruits. I would love to see an element in which you can send a recruiter out to scout your local area's high schools. Maybe he comes back with a short list of 1-3 players who are 1-3 stars. Maybe they have no star rating and are complete fog of war. Maybe he finds nothing. And since these players aren't in the pool nationally, maybe it takes a bit longer to uncover their true abilities as you get to know them. But I think it'd be an efficient way to recruit locally and for those who are rebuilding lower-tier schools from the ground up. This feature would be limited to your own state...Hosting a camp in the offseason would also be great to get a jump on local talent as well.

Lastly I'd like to see a surprise walk-on every blue moon. I've always thought they were always unusable and took up roster space.

Last edited by jkits; 03-16-2024 at 10:15 AM.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:09 PM   #30
Rookie

I hope the progression is like maddens. That was my kick with NCAA 14. I would love to build a program and have 1-2 star players that perform well develop into 90+ overall stars based mainly off performance. (Think tcu and their defense under Patterson for years, or the old Boise st teams).

Can't wait to recruit in a small school only online dynasty. that was so fun back in the day, you could be recruiting some decently athletic 2 star and there's 5 or 6 other users just after him hard.

I remember I recruited and signed the fastest QB in the recruiting class, 2 star guy, I was northwestern in the small school OD. My offense the next year was similar to Florida under the Leak/Tebow years. Pocket passer starter and then brought that fast QB in for 3rd downs or goal line situations. Nearly took me to the natty and pissed off a lot of users lol.

The only other thing I wish is that they brought back the spring game. And to see recruits/rating changes based on performance in that game as well.

Last edited by operationsport; 03-17-2024 at 12:13 PM.
Old 03-17-2024, 12:16 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tessl
I have the same opinion of NIL as Saban.
I am okay with the NIL, instead of getting moola illegally or in nefarious ways, they are getting the moola straight up.

I do however have a problem with the transfer portal, they need to nip that in the bud, bring back the old transfer rules.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-18-2024, 11:08 AM   #32
All Star

georgiafan's Arena

OVR: 12

Its those type of recruiting stories which what has always separated the college game. Having the different types of players and even changing some playbooks to match your QB.

It will be interesting to see how as a smaller school the transfer portal works. In your case will the stud QB at a small school transfer to a bigger school because they can pay more. As I said they need to add some type of slider scale because not everyone will want the stud QB leaving before his senior year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by operationsport

I remember I recruited and signed the fastest QB in the recruiting class, 2 star guy, I was northwestern in the small school OD. My offense the next year was similar to Florida under the Leak/Tebow years. Pocket passer starter and then brought that fast QB in for 3rd downs or goal line situations. Nearly took me to the natty and pissed off a lot of users lol.
That would be cool to see everyone's devolvement be hidden, I would project it to work like Madden where the normal dev is displayed on signing day recap.

Even if thats how it works it will make for some fun debates with position battles. Do you start the Junior 84 overall with normal development or the true freshman 76 overall with hidden development. If the transfer portal is done like real life then however you don't start leaves at the end of the year. If the freshman is only star dev then its taking him about 2 years just to match the other guy and you've not gained much. So you will have to decide between the better player now or maybe higher upside and worse now

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »