Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2022, 09:59 PM   #25
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
NBA Off Topic Thread

Goodness gracious, stop being dramatic and spare us the 100,000 clips man lol
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2022, 10:17 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Oh you don't think I know that? He's a raptors fan. Come on now. BS advance stats for rookies. I'm on angry mob side of this. The logic being thrown around is BS.

Locked up Luka a few times and got his team back into the game.
https://twitter.com/MoTownHoops/stat...v8-YC5Qkw&s=19

I'm not saying Barnes can't and hasn't done any of the above. It's just very clear to me. Just watch how teams defend and treat a player on the court. Here is the other thing. Take the top rookies off their team. The Detroit will be complete garbage. Like literally unwatchable.

Here is another question. I've watched pretty much all the rookies this year more than I'd like to admit. Can you or anyone in here (expect Marji) tell me a big game by Scottie Barnes without looking? Like a memorable game.

Still editing lol
Some people have made their choice
https://twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA/...k8tjVBqTQ&s=19

Dude had like 30 and 20 against the Lakers lol.

I’m on the Cade train, and you know this, because out of the 3 I feel like he’s became “the guy” on his team to a degree higher than them. And I personally believe in a race this close that is more so my tie breaker.

With that said I definitely don’t think all advanced metrics are BS and to be ignored. Barnes has had a late season ascension just like Cade has and that’s a big part of this late season run Toronto has had. He has a better team around him, but they were still struggling early despite that, Toronto making this late season push has coincided with Barnes progression. The other cats on that team are already established.

Barnes is a better defender too. We can talk about Cade becoming the guy, and how much the offense flows through him now, but Barnes has been the same version of that on the defensive end. How many times have we seen him matched up with the other teams best perimeter player and in the same game switch 1-5?

There are two things to be said about both. Cade likely doesn’t get these same numbers drafted elsewhere. If he was on Toronto he’s not getting he assists he is now because he’s likely not taking the point-forward role away from their guards.. and Barnes had showed us enough as a complimentary scoring threat and secondary playmaker to show that he likely could put up bigger passing numbers and points on less efficiency if he was in Cade’s spot. So just as much as you can say “Barnes is a 3rd option and Cade is the guy” you also have to acknowledge that Cade would also be a 3rd guy playing with guys like FVV and Siakam too, and Barnes would likely be “the guy” at this point on Detroit. If there was a huge gap between them that doesn’t matter, but being as close as they are it’s definitely worth noting. Just like Cade can’t control he was drafted to a bad team I don’t think we fault Barnes for having better teammates. He’s starting on a playoff team, that’s impressive for any rookie.

Idk if I had a vote I would go Cade, Barnes, Mobley like I said before, but if somebody was stuck on them and picked their winner based on impact metrics and team success I wouldn’t really blame them either. A lot of advanced stats can be influence by what’s around the player but still give a good estimate of a players on court impact. At least to a much larger degree than just per game numbers for a player with usage as high as Cade’s.

Barnes checks both boxes a bit more than either Cade or Mobley in terms of raw production and impact metrics, he’s also played 10 more games than Cade, and even though I also give the slight edge to Cade it’s also worth noting that even though his team is poor he’s also only increased their success by 3 wins. I do think Cade has taken that sorta number 1 guy role, and I didn’t expect him to make a bad team like Detroit into a good team, but just a 3 win jump and with all impact metrics painting him as basically a blow average league player you could easily make the case that he’s putting up empty stats on a bad team. It’s hard for me to pin that on a rookie because you do have to factor in that he is indeed on a bad team, but a bit more floor raising from him would have made his case much stronger IMO.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:19 PM   #27
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23

All I know is if you're making an argument about the tough defense someone is facing nightly and the first picture evidence you have is a shot of the Bulls playing defense, you've already sunk your own argument lol
Old 04-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

I can only be so bothered by a potentially misappropriated Rookie of the Month award for the month of April.

If nothing else, I find the fiery debate to be a testament to the depth of talent in this rookie class.

I will say this though (and this is probably one of the only places where I feel safe saying this): I'd be A-OK with shutting down the phrase "Detroit vs. Everybody". I swear it had meaning at some point (a response to those who made hating on the city of Detroit almost seem fashionable) but now it seems to be the first line of defense for those with a victim complex.

I guess I can make a special exception for Cade tweeting it this one time, though. But it's a slippery slope.
Old 04-11-2022, 10:51 PM   #29
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I can only be so bothered by a potentially misappropriated Rookie of the Month award for the month of April.

If nothing else, I find the fiery debate to be a testament to the depth of talent in this rookie class.

I will say this though (and this is probably one of the only places where I feel safe saying this): I'd be A-OK with shutting down the phrase "Detroit vs. Everybody". I swear it had meaning at some point (a response to those who made hating on the city of Detroit almost seem fashionable) but now it seems to be the first line of defense for those with a victim complex.

I guess I can make a special exception for Cade tweeting it this one time, though. But it's a slippery slope.

Are you current on winning time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-11-2022, 11:14 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Are you current on winning time?
Yes indeed I am. Thoughts?
Old 04-11-2022, 11:33 PM   #31
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
Yes indeed I am. Thoughts?

I’m loving it. Just finished episode 6 tonight. If I had to pick one gripe as far as getting the authenticity and all that down, pretty much 90% of the in game action is Magic throwing no look lobs to Kareem lol.. but I understand that’s the hardest part to try and get right.

A few random things are kinda weird. Like why did they have Westhead make the choice to start Cooper over Haywood? Neither started in real life, so just like a weird addition for unknown reasons.. I’m sure to set up Haywood venturing down the path of coke.

The show itself is great. Rarely do shows/movies like this nail all the small details this show is.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2022, 12:00 AM   #32
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
I’m loving it. Just finished episode 6 tonight. If I had to pick one gripe as far as getting the authenticity and all that down, pretty much 90% of the in game action is Magic throwing no look lobs to Kareem lol.. but I understand that’s the hardest part to try and get right.
Yeah I noticed that, too. Had the same conclusion (tough to get the game footage to be picture perfect). I appreciated seeing some Coop-a-Loop dunks in the montage an ep or two ago though.

I concluded after episode 6 that I could make a disaster of a basketball series but I'd be committed to getting just one thing right: the proper type of rims. Seems to be the Achilles heel of productions that are otherwise pretty authentic. But so many other random, tiny details are right in this series that I have no problem letting it slide.

Quote:
A few random things are kinda weird. Like why did they have Westhead make the choice to start Cooper over Haywood? Neither started in real life, so just like a weird addition for unknown reasons.. I’m sure to set up Haywood venturing down the path of coke.
I think you hit the nail on the head.

Speaking of which, of all the casting choices that could have broken the immersion for me, I never figured it would have been Richard Pryor. I thought finding a realistic Magic and Kareem would be the hard part, but most of the Lakers look sharp. Mike Epps as Pryor was completely immersion-breaking though. I mistook him for Jesse Jackson at first.

Quote:
The show itself is great. Rarely do shows/movies like this nail all the small details this show is.
Agreed. Somehow it's completely on point while at the same time pushing every aspect of reality to the absolute limit. It's been so fun to see the NBA in this sort of light. It's literally the answer to the question, "What if HBO produced another one of their awesome shows but this time, it was about the NBA?" I never figured it would have been able to be made but I'm glad it was.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »