Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2022, 11:39 AM   #41
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

Joker taking it?
I think so. I won't be disappointed. But it's the way I'm going to feel about the ROY award. I think Giannis should win because of his team record. Best player on the best team. It's just my personal opinion. I know the vote is spread out now. But I don't agree with the Media change to this advanced stats thing. Seems everyone wants to quantify things into numbers. But if you've ever played basketball in a team environment. It's much more than numbers.

From what I've seen around. It looks like Jokic is going back to back.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2022, 12:43 PM   #42
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza

Joker taking it?

Looks like Joker is running away with it. More interesting battle is for 2nd but seems to be trending towards Embiid.

And looking pretty good for Scottie Barnes to win ROY with Mobley in 2nd.

Marcus Smart currently leading in DPOY voting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 04-12-2022, 12:46 PM   #43
Once in a Lifetime Memory

Yeah...THAT Guy's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I think so. I won't be disappointed. But it's the way I'm going to feel about the ROY award. I think Giannis should win because of his team record. Best player on the best team. It's just my personal opinion. I know the vote is spread out now. But I don't agree with the Media change to this advanced stats thing. Seems everyone wants to quantify things into numbers. But if you've ever played basketball in a team environment. It's much more than numbers.

From what I've seen around. It looks like Jokic is going back to back.

I don’t think you really need the advanced metrics to argue for Jokic. He’s been incredible any way you slice it and he’s done it with a pretty **** supporting cast relatively speaking.

Would have loved to see Giannis win it again and I do think he’s made a pretty strong case at this point for being the best player in the league but Jokic is very deserving of MVP this year too.

NCAA: Syracuse
Soccer: USMNT/DC United

PSN: ButMyT-GunDont
Old 04-12-2022, 01:36 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah...THAT Guy
I don’t think you really need the advanced metrics to argue for Jokic. He’s been incredible any way you slice it and he’s done it with a pretty **** supporting cast relatively speaking.

Would have loved to see Giannis win it again and I do think he’s made a pretty strong case at this point for being the best player in the league but Jokic is very deserving of MVP this year too.

It would be easier to understand what Jeebs was getting at if it was elaborated at all. Like which advanced stats does he not like, or which people are only looking at advanced stats without applying any context to them? It's not like we are seeing people just picking a pool of guys and said the one who leads X stat should be the winner simply because of that stat. And it's not like every advanced stat gives zero indication of on court performance just because someone feels differently about how much they should be used.. I mean the top 3 candidates in pretty much everyone's eyes are Joker, Embiid, Giannis in some order. The top 3 players in PER this year as an example are also Joker, Embiid, Giannis for this season. Those stats do, almost always, correlate to what the eye test shows as well. Very rarely do you have players who performed at a high level not rank out highly with advanced metrics and very rarely do you have players rank out highly in advanced metrics who didn't perform at a high level.

Do the analytics provide an avenue for people to make weird opinions on things, sure, just like watching games and just picking the player who takes/makes the most amount of difficult shots or highlight plays also clouds the eye test for some people too. But I would say most people who actually reference those numbers wouldn't waste their time doing so if they weren't also investing time in watching games as well. I know Ben from Thinking Basketball is pretty heavy in analytics himself but ties every stat he speaks on back to in-game action and shows how it happens in real time as well.

Even ignoring all advanced stats any of the 3 have a strong argument. Just in raw numbers I think Joker became the first player ever to drop a 2k/1k/500+ season. He put up 27/14/8 on the best efficiency of the 3. He has better on/off splits this season, and though both of the others finished 3 games ahead of Denver 6 of Denver's losses were without Joker, as far as that side of it goes when Joker is on the floor I think Denver ranks higher offensively and defensively than the Bucks or Philly either one (maybe not the Bucks offensively), nearly league last in both without him.

Plus had either Philly or the Bucks went on to win 60+ games I think we'd see almost nobody giving votes to Joker. But none of the top 3 played on some highly successful team this year. The whole "best player best team" thing has real merit, but the only guy that really applies to this season is basically a distant 4th to these 3. Like stated before it's only a 3 game difference. If you were to rank all teams by wins both Philly and Milwaukee are tied with Boston for 6th and Denver would be tied for 8th. It's not like we are comparing teams in 2nd to a team that wouldn't be top 10.
Old 04-12-2022, 01:59 PM   #45
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
But it's the way I'm going to feel about the ROY award. I think Giannis should win because of his team record.
But you're also telling us Giannis should win because of record and telling people that record doesn't matter for ROY. Which I get, I don't think it's on a rookie to transform a bad team into a good one, they can't really control that. But Joker can't control that he had to play without Murray and Porter all year either. But it's also not like Cade was so much better than Barnes that he was on some Duncan or Luka level as a rookie, and even though I don't really hold record against him I could see people at least expecting him to get them higher than 3rd worst in the league.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2022, 03:03 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Just hearing some of the things Westbrook said. Man that mfer is delusional. No wonder he can't change.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 04-12-2022, 03:27 PM   #47
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

‘Nerds’/ Advanced metrics are just another piece of the basketball conversation, just like Chuck and Co.
yelling for everyone to get in the post is….lol

Gotta take the good with the bad.
Old 04-12-2022, 03:33 PM   #48
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
‘Nerds’/ Advanced metrics are just another piece of the basketball conversation, just like Chuck and Co.
yelling for everyone to get in the post is….lol

Gotta take the good with the bad.

***whispers***A little gatekeeping wouldn’t hurt 24

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »