Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2022, 06:12 PM   #57
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Incoming rant

Spoiler
As someone who posts these stats at times where I feel they are worth referencing I will say I've never once used any of those stats to try to sound like the smartest person in the room or any of that other stuff you've said along those lines.. Hell they aren't my stats, I'm not the one coming up with them lol so I feel no smarter mentioning them than I do any other stat.. I use them for the same reason I use any other stat-line from bball ref or ESPN or wherever, because they available to be used and relatively easy to find.

If I had the time to watch all 82 games for all 30 teams, dissect every play to see how and why a player did what he did, I probably would feel a bit less inclined to use them quite as much.. But yeah if I'm trying to split hairs and shuffle through the grey area of players that maybe I've watched 20 games of then I'll use every thing at my disposal to draw more to compare with. Every player looks great in the highlight reels or when watching condensed versions of games.
Old 04-12-2022, 06:45 PM   #58
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38
NBA Off Topic Thread

Quote:
Incoming rant

Spoiler

100% feel you.

The type of person you’re describing is another level.

Thankfully that has only been an online type interaction for me so far.

I’m considered the basketball nerd within my circle because you could catch me watching a random ‘94 regular season game at any time, or I’ll send a video of Donovan Mitchell breaking down secondary defense to the group chat to little fanfare

but I wish a dude would start talking about some VORP during a shop debate
Old 04-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #59

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

The advanced stats people sucked a lot of the fun out of baseball for me years ago. When WAR became the be-all-end-all agreed upon metric, with zero room for opposing debate, I was out.

I'm not sure they'll be able to do that with basketball tho. Personalities and team dynamics still reign supreme over TheRinger deep dives and essays seeking to convince people of x y or z.

A lot of the advanced stat conversation reminds me the crypto bro vibe. If you say something with enough confidence people will actually buy into it. Probability models and limited sample size algorithms sound and look impressive, but I frequently question their usefulness.

People who are legit fascinated by all these stats and analytics, and find fun in them, I get. But when it goes beyond that, to, "this proves my point, here's back up for my argument," etc, it's really taking the fun out of what is supposed to be entertainment.
Old 04-12-2022, 07:30 PM   #60

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
Agree... I'm a little more open for the MVP. Even though I land on Giannis I flip flop still. But the key for me is the best team. That's just my way of a tie breaker between the 3 players.
I will say, on the topic of team record, it does feel odd that the supposed front runner for MVP is on a team that's 16 games behind the West leaders. They didn't even with their division.

The last year LeBron was in Cleveland he had an incredible season, but the team was a 4th seed and people were like hell no to the idea of him being MVP lol.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:15 AM   #61
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
Where do you think they trade him?
I have no idea. But if I'm a team. No thanks.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-13-2022, 12:35 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
I will say, on the topic of team record, it does feel odd that the supposed front runner for MVP is on a team that's 16 games behind the West leaders. They didn't even with their division.

The last year LeBron was in Cleveland he had an incredible season, but the team was a 4th seed and people were like hell no to the idea of him being MVP lol.

That’s pretty much how it plays out for any of these guys. CP3 or Book are the only two guys who separated themselves enough record wise to make that argument. Maybe throw Ja in there be he’s like 9-10 on the list overall. That’s why I was saying had Giannis or Embiid been a 60+ win team like that they would have ran away with it this year. All 3 of those teams being 10+ wins away from Phoenix is pretty much why we are are we are between the 3 of them.

And to your point it does look odd because you’ve got a 6 seed when it could be a 3 seed, but then you’re coming down to basing the MVP vote on playoff seed which already seems sillier than solely basing it on record.

Idk how to feel about it honestly .. I’m just glad they aren’t giving to Book by default when the 3 of these guys have clearly been better/more valuable than him all year. Hell before CP3 went down he was ahead of Book because everyone recognizes him as their “most important” piece. He goes down and here come all the Book talk. I’m glad voters didn’t cave to that.

The other 3 ultimately it doesn’t matter who wins. Voters gonna pick a winner every year but you’ve got 3 guys who played good enough to take the award against even the some of best of the best. They had special seasons that stack up with some of the best we’ve had.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:39 AM   #63
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
The advanced stats people sucked a lot of the fun out of baseball for me years ago. When WAR became the be-all-end-all agreed upon metric, with zero room for opposing debate, I was out.

I'm not sure they'll be able to do that with basketball tho. Personalities and team dynamics still reign supreme over TheRinger deep dives and essays seeking to convince people of x y or z.

A lot of the advanced stat conversation reminds me the crypto bro vibe. If you say something with enough confidence people will actually buy into it. Probability models and limited sample size algorithms sound and look impressive, but I frequently question their usefulness.

People who are legit fascinated by all these stats and analytics, and find fun in them, I get. But when it goes beyond that, to, "this proves my point, here's back up for my argument," etc, it's really taking the fun out of what is supposed to be entertainment.
Dudes out here getting more entertained by talking about numbers than actually watching the game.

It’s a new world out here man and I for one hate it.
Old 04-13-2022, 12:53 AM   #64
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Dudes out here getting more entertained by talking about numbers than actually watching the game.

It’s a new world out here man and I for one hate it.

Who are you even talking about

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »