Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-15-2022, 09:05 PM   #105
All Star

King_B_Mack's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Sooooo can we take a moment to talk about everything wrong with this list?

Starting with the lack of Kareem and Bill Russell anywhere near it? Damian Lillard as Portland’s GOAT? Penny Hardaway for Orlando? Kemba Walker for Charlotte? Giannis for Milwaukee already? Come on now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2022, 09:08 PM   #106
SOLDIER, First Class...

JazzMan's Arena

OVR: 23

Man I need Donovan Mitchell to hurry up and be the Jazz's GOAT

Stock and Malone's legacies did not age gracefully lol due to outside reasons of course

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Green Bay Packers
Utah Jazz
Nebraska Cornhuskers

Dibs: AJ Lee
Old 04-15-2022, 09:55 PM   #107
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
NBA Off Topic Thread

Who made the list?

Can’t go wrong with Kidd, Doc or Drazen though.

Last edited by ProfessaPackMan; 04-15-2022 at 10:23 PM.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #108
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_B_Mack
Sooooo can we take a moment to talk about everything wrong with this list?

Starting with the lack of Kareem and Bill Russell anywhere near it? Damian Lillard as Portland’s GOAT? Penny Hardaway for Orlando? Kemba Walker for Charlotte? Giannis for Milwaukee already? Come on now

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Some of these are questionable but the only ones I see as a just huge issues are Penny and Arenas. Neither of them are anywhere close to even make an argument IMO.

I feel like lots of people view Larry as a better player than Russell. Hard to dispute 11 rings, but I feel like there is at least a debate to be had on that one. I don’t think I could vote Larry over him if it was my list, but I don’t think that one is too crazy. To a degree though Russell’s impact is similar to that of a Draymond. Lots of people are going to lean towards the guy who led your offense, closed out games for you, etc.. if they see it as close that could be their deciding factor. All those possessions back then (Wilt dropping 50 a night) Russell was scoring at a rate of like 12 points a night at his best compared to modern possessions. Still though, impact on winning alone, you could vote him as GOAT. I’d lean towards Bill.

For Giannis I know it doesn’t seem like long but he’s already been there longer than Kareem was. Took home 2 MVPs there, has a ring just like Kareem there. He’s already the franchise leader in points, blocks, 2nd in rebounds, 5th in steals, 2nd in assists, has made the same amount of All-NBA teams, one more defensive team, DPOY award... not saying I’d pick him over Kareem just yet but I think it being so recent and Kareem playing for so long it makes the difference feel much larger than it is when looking at what they’ve both done in Milwaukee. I think he has an argument and another season or two from him and Kareem might be considered 2nd for them by the majority of people.

Kemba is iffy but that team is just *** in its history. Only players that even played more games for them there was Dell and Mugsy. Kemba has tons of the teams all time records.. I honestly have no idea who I would even pick for that team. Literally nobody in their entire history has done anything worth noting. I mean there 2nd highest player in win-shares is Gerald Wallace because nobody decent played more than 2-3 years there. Larry and Rice are the only two to make a All-NBA 2nd team, Jefferson, Jones, Mason, Rice, Kemba have all made a 3rd team.. Kemba and Rice are franchise leaders with 3 All-Star selections.. so not saying Kemba is a good choice but literally nobody else would be either.

Clyde over Dame feels pretty cut and dry to me. Dame has narrowed the gap some on a lot of career stats for them, has made 1 more All-NBA team, has 1 more time finishing top 10 for MVP, but Clyde still holds most team records, made the finals, finished 2nd for MVP in ‘92, tops most playoff stats, etc .. that one is pretty easy to me. I don’t like that choice but it’s at least somewhat understandable in comparison to the Penny or Arenas vote. But yeah I think the gap there is still pretty size-able.

Personally I’d probably vote Kidd for the Nets, and Doc for the Sixers, or even Wilt. Not that Doc is a bad choice for the Nets just hard for me to pick a list like this based on ABA production alone.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:12 PM   #109
My Momma's Son

bigeastbumrush's Arena

OVR: 37

Kobe-> Magic
Dame-> Drexler
Penny-> Shaq

Don’t see too much wrong with the list though.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:20 PM   #110
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

I'd put Vince for the Raptors.

I think people sometimes forget that the Raptors and Griz came into the same expansion draft, and the Griz soon relocated from Vancouver. Toronto may have faced the same danger but Vince came in and energized a franchise like few guys have.

That wouldn't be enough to give him the spot for most franchises, but its enough to give him the nod over Lowry
Old 04-15-2022, 10:21 PM   #111
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigeastbumrush
Kobe-> Magic
Dame-> Drexler
Penny-> Shaq

Don’t see too much wrong with the list though.

Kobe one is tough for me because I think most would agree that in their time with the team Kareem, Magic and Shaq were better. Think a case could at least be made for West too. But Kobe was just with the team for so long, even the other Lakers pretty much consider him that guy.

I feel bad dogging him so much because 1.) he was a good player and 2.) I was a huge fan, who wasn’t a huge fan of Penny in the 90’s?….

But to me Penny might be the worst choice. Shaq is the franchises best player by a big margin, Dwight had the best career there by a big margin, and given that Penny wasn’t even there/healthy for very long I wouldn’t even pick him over T-Mac either.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2022, 10:24 PM   #112
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
I'd put Vince for the Raptors.

I think people sometimes forget that the Raptors and Griz came into the same expansion draft, and the Griz soon relocated from Vancouver. Toronto may have faced the same danger but Vince came in and energized a franchise like few guys have.

That wouldn't be enough to give him the spot for most franchises, but its enough to give him the nod over Lowry

Yeah that’s tough. Lowry and DeRozan pretty much set most the franchise records. And while Vince did what you mentioned Lowry also got them their only title. It’s hard for me, I’m a Vince fan and I just think at his best he’s a better player. But I get when people pick Lowry.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »