Home

NBA Off Topic Thread

This is a discussion on NBA Off Topic Thread within the Pro Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-15-2022, 10:26 PM   #113
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: NBA Off Topic Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojandpizza
Kobe one is tough for me because I think most would agree that in their time with the team Kareem, Magic and Shaq were better. Think a case could at least be made for West too. But Kobe was just with the team for so long, even the other Lakers pretty much consider him that guy.

I feel bad dogging him so much because 1.) he was a good player and 2.) I was a huge fan, who wasn’t a huge fan of Penny in the 90’s?….

But to me Penny might be the worst choice. Shaq is the franchises best player by a big margin, Dwight had the best career there by a big margin, and given that Penny wasn’t even there/healthy for very long I wouldn’t even pick him over T-Mac either.
It should be Dwight, Shaq, Penny.

I love Penny. Loved the lil Penny commercials even more, but there are times where I can't quite figure out why it seems he gets more love the more time goes on.
Old 04-15-2022, 10:40 PM   #114
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessaPackMan
Who made the list?

Can’t go wrong with Kidd, Doc or Drazen though.

I think I’d vote Kidd myself.
Old 04-15-2022, 11:30 PM   #115

dubcity's Arena

OVR: 2

Definitely a serious recency bias there. Or they're just straight up trying to cater to certain demo clicks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2022, 11:42 PM   #116
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubcity
Definitely a serious recency bias there. Or they're just straight up trying to cater to certain demo clicks.

There is by default going to be some degree of recency bias given that 7 of these teams didn’t even exist until the 90s-today.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:18 AM   #117
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Kyle Lowry really? Lol that one I have a real problem with.

It has to be Vince or Derozan. But Vince really made the Raptors cool. So it has to be him.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Old 04-16-2022, 12:38 AM   #118
Hall Of Fame

ojandpizza's Arena

Quote:
There is by default going to be some degree of recency bias given that 7 of these teams didn’t even exist until the 90s-today.

As much as Vince made them cool his exit was also messy. He’s the most talented player to put on a Raptors jersey other than Kahwi, but 2 short playoff runs is the only team success he had there too. To me Vince is instantly who I think of when I picture the Raptors, but admittedly a bit of that is likely simply nostalgia and Vince being arguably my favorite player to ever play.

DeRozan and Lowry are close. But Lowry was there for the ring, obviously, when DeRozan was gone. Lowry in team history is also 2nd in points, 3rd in rebounds, 1st in assists, 1st in steals, and leads team in history in playoff points, rebounds, assists, steals. He has the most All-Star selections in team history, but both Vince and DeRozan top him with 2 All-NBA selections to 1.

The obvious leader in win-shares given he was there longer than DD, Vince, Bosh.. but amount of time with a franchise likely somewhat counts for something in a team specific scenario like this.

Idk that I would vote Lowry over both of them, but I think any of the 3 have a pretty strong case for whatever that’s worth given none of them ever reached that true superstar tier. Vince was probably the closest. But I think for anybody that leans on the teams single championship as a big chunk of this Lowry makes sense.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:40 AM   #119
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Nope to Kobe, Penny, Dame, and Stockton,

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 04-16-2022, 12:53 AM   #120
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
As much as Vince made them cool his exit was also messy. He’s the most talented player to put on a Raptors jersey other than Kahwi, but 2 short playoff runs is the only team success he had there too. To me Vince is instantly who I think of when I picture the Raptors, but admittedly a bit of that is likely simply nostalgia and Vince being arguably my favorite player to ever play.

DeRozan and Lowry are close. But Lowry was there for the ring, obviously, when DeRozan was gone. Lowry in team history is also 2nd in points, 3rd in rebounds, 1st in assists, 1st in steals, and leads team in history in playoff points, rebounds, assists, steals. He has the most All-Star selections in team history, but both Vince and DeRozan top him with 2 All-NBA selections to 1.

The obvious leader in win-shares given he was there longer than DD, Vince, Bosh.. but amount of time with a franchise likely somewhat counts for something in a team specific scenario like this.

Idk that I would vote Lowry over both of them, but I think any of the 3 have a pretty strong case for whatever that’s worth given none of them ever reached that true superstar tier. Vince was probably the closest. But I think for anybody that leans on the teams single championship as a big chunk of this Lowry makes sense.
Raptors being a young franchise really takes away from the prestige of any record leader board.

If Lowry was THE guy for the championship run I'd be more inclined to agree with you, but as it is I don't think Lowry on the Raptors will have a lot of staying power. A lot of NBA fans still remember watching Vince's highlights during that Vinsanity run. But 15 years from now I think I'll struggle to remember any Lowry moments. But Vince's in-game highlights plus his dunk contest will always live on.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Pro Basketball »