Home

When Will The Official Reveal Happen?

This is a discussion on When Will The Official Reveal Happen? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-02-2024, 12:15 AM   #465
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: When Will The Official Reveal Happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
This is why I feel all pro football could survive this generation
Because micro transactions are the majority of their income

https://youtu.be/CojHkRwhFbw?si=LnGFTp3hE2XcPrzT

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
All Pro was slightly top ahead of its time and may have been able to benefit from tve explosion of thr card collecting modes had it been released just a little later with that being a major part of the game.

Had they secured more legends, found a way for current players, had a season and potentially franchise mode along with a MyTeam, who knows what would have happened.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

― Plato
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2024, 09:30 AM   #466
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
All Pro was slightly top ahead of its time and may have been able to benefit from tve explosion of thr card collecting modes had it been released just a little later with that being a major part of the game.

Had they secured more legends, found a way for current players, had a season and potentially franchise mode along with a MyTeam, who knows what would have happened.

Completely agree. Honestly, I would drop a couple of hundred dollars on an APF2K8 "reskin" with current and legend players. Already (begrudgingly) do it on NBA2K...with a football game, especially as one as ahead of its time as APF was, absolute no brainer.

Speculation time...I do think there was something with the rumor VC had all sorts of issues with APF's source code. I don't know if it was making it arcade enough or upgrading it to current gens, but it makes no sense not to use it.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 03-07-2024, 02:45 PM   #467
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Speculation time...I do think there was something with the rumor VC had all sorts of issues with APF's source code. I don't know if it was making it arcade enough or upgrading it to current gens, but it makes no sense not to use it.
Allegedly, David Winter (the main guy behind the original versions of Maximum Football) reached out to Visual Concepts about licensing the All Pro Football 2K8 source code for his game, but was told that APF's code base had been left to decay and rot and is no longer usable on modern hardware.

On that account, I would not expect NFL 2K to ever come back as it previously existed.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:06 PM   #468
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky
Completely agree. Honestly, I would drop a couple of hundred dollars on an APF2K8 "reskin" with current and legend players. Already (begrudgingly) do it on NBA2K...with a football game, especially as one as ahead of its time as APF was, absolute no brainer.

Prior to this current console generation, I could also always periodically revisit 2k8 and at least start a season. I think the issues with 2k8 is that they overestimated the appeal of NFL Legends for casual fans, marketing wasn't great, Visual Concepts/2K Sports didn't have the same reputation as it does now, and lack of depth. I guess they felt if they couldn't get current NFL stars, that the NFL legends could have similar appeal, but they didn't. Marketing could've been better, but they came out before social media boomed in 2009ish. I feel like 2k Sports really boomed after NBA 2k11, so if they had the reputation that they do now, maybe they could've done better. As far as lack of depth, I wonder if they could've released the game a year later than they did or pushed through and released 2k9. I get stripping down 2k5, but 2k8 was essentially just play now, barebones season mode, and pre-boom online mode. So, I think if they pushed the game back or went on ahead with 2k9, where the game could've been. I don't know what they expected with releasing a barebones football game with NFL legends and expecting it to sell well enough to warrant another release. But, that was the time when 2k was subsidizing any game that wasn't selling well

I agree with CM Hooe, I don't think we'll see NFL 2k as we expect. Technically, the Madden exclusive license ends through 2025, but it can extend to end of 2026 if it reaches revenue benchmarks. At this point, I fully expect Madden to hit whatever revenue benchmarks that the NFL set. Regardless of perception, the Madden business is booming. We heard about Madden 24 being Make or Break prior to release, but nothing since.

Only thing someone could say is that EA Sports was willing to drop the Fifa license and didn't go for the NCAA license. But, I think those situations are different. Fifa was jacking up the cost of license and with no real competition, they solidified themselves as a franchise to secure 10M+ copies a year. The NCAA as a brand in college football is almost a laughing stock. EA didn't need the NCAA brand. The NCAA brand isn't as synonymous with College Football as it was in the past. But when it's comes to pro football, you need the NFL license since the NFL brand sells it self. So maybe EA could go to a non-exclusive license to save money. Outside of 2K Sports/Take-Two, what other publisher is going to go for the non-exclusive license. The cost of license, cost of development, and resources needed will scare off most of publishers, especially when you're in theory will always be in 2nd place behind Madden. Regardless of your opinion of Madden, it would always be 5 steps ahead of whoever wants to jump in that market because the new publisher will be playing catchup for a long time. So, I think EA could drop the exclusive and go to non-exclusive, and still be status quo. But, NFL hasn't shown that they want to go away from the exclusive license path with their associated brand. The NFL prefers exclusive licenses. I don't buy the Make or Break stuff because it would have to take controversy for Madden to fail revenue wise.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:05 PM   #469
MVP

zello144's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Outside of 2K Sports/Take-Two, what other publisher is going to go for the non-exclusive license. The cost of license, cost of development, and resources needed will scare off most of publishers, especially when you're in theory will always be in 2nd place behind Madden.
I've always thought Microsoft could return to making sports games again. NFL Fever always had some potential. Unlike other companies Microsoft has deep pockets their exclusives have always been lacking though. Problem would be that a console exclusive sports game would not sell and it would be bad for the NFL. I don't know how Sony got away with making MLB the show an exclusive for a long *** time especially after 2K stepped out in 2014 but that **** won't fly today and especially not with the NFL.
Old 03-07-2024, 06:58 PM   #470
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zello144
I've always thought Microsoft could return to making sports games again. NFL Fever always had some potential. Unlike other companies Microsoft has deep pockets their exclusives have always been lacking though. Problem would be that a console exclusive sports game would not sell and it would be bad for the NFL. I don't know how Sony got away with making MLB the show an exclusive for a long *** time especially after 2K stepped out in 2014 but that **** won't fly today and especially not with the NFL.
I initially thought of Sony. But like you said, I don't think you could sell well as an exclusive sports title. Like you said, I don't know how they lasted that long as a console exclusive. I doubt that The Show was selling "well". I think that's the reason that the MLB pushed Sony to drop the console exclusivity. Even then, I still The Show is only selling upwards of 5M copies. Which is why, we've seen them push Diamond Dynasty and MTX more.

I would love for a different AAA publisher to jump into the sports games market. As far as major sports genres(excluding racing), it's essentially just EA, 2k Sports, and Sony. I would love for another publisher with the finances and resources to put their hat into the race.
Old 03-13-2024, 11:01 AM   #471
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

Yea top spin must have been the 3rd immersive Core title (April)
To release this year
So I don't think NFL 2k is coming out this year

https://www.ign.com/articles/take-tw...premier-studio

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2024, 02:02 PM   #472
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by simbayless
Yea top spin must have been the 3rd immersive Core title (April)
To release this year
So I don't think NFL 2k is coming out this year

https://www.ign.com/articles/take-tw...premier-studio

It does suck that the game still isn't coming out - at this point they've gotta be 'pivoting' to 2025 or '26, right - after all this damn time.

Still, Top Spin returning can be looked at as a good thing that Take-Two/2K are legitimately 'reinvesting' in sports titles (beyond NBA & WWE).

They'll now have pro basketball, pro wrestling, golf and tennis in their sports portfolio. Which hopefully means that the return of pro football (in some form or fashion) could be in the near future.

I'm hoping beyond hope that they are also thinking about bringing back hockey or baseball. Probably not that case, but let a brother dream big.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »