Home

MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-26-2024, 11:42 AM   #289
Pro

MLB14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat
I've asked this before, but why is there an assumption that if the game were to look better graphically, that the gameplay would get worse? The gameplay is already fantastic, why would they have to degrade it to bring the visuals up to modern standards? In PYS, the gameplay isn't (in your eyes) subpar BECAUSE the graphics are good, they probably just aren't as good at developing gameplay as SDS. It has nothing to do with the visuals, there's no trade-off.
Right? Games can definitely have both elements. Many do.

mobile device
Old 03-26-2024, 11:44 AM   #290
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Not that it should excuse SDS for not upgrading their field and dirt textures, but do you think this might be the reason there have been so few graphical upgrades with The Show? As far as I'm aware, lighting in the game is completely dynamic, as the sun placement changes throughout the game and is even different based on time-of-year. And that's not to mention dynamic cloud coverage generating on-field shadows.

If dynamic lighting is really that computationally expensive, maybe that's the reason they haven't been able to keep up in other areas. At the end of the day I believe it may just come down to limitations with their current engine, at least in terms of a short 12 month development cycle.
I wouldn't think so, but it really depends on how they've built the stadiums and day/night cycle system. You would think they only have a handful of dynamic light sources at any time and that wouldn't be an issue since these days dynamic lighting only becomes and issue when you flood a scene with tons of light sources.

You would expect each stadium has been built to have a lot of the lighting be static and baked into it with only certain sources being dynamic like the sun and some stadium lights so that the shadows on the field are appropriate as time passes.

Without knowing what engine the game is on, it's hard to know what exactly are the technical limitations of the game due to the engine. Despite that, it being 2024, if the engine is limiting them from entering the modern age with a lot of their tech, then that in itself is a big issue and one that needs to be addressed.

― Plato
Old 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM   #291
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Without knowing what engine the game is on, it's hard to know what exactly are the technical limitations of the game due to the engine. Despite that, it being 2024, if the engine is limiting them from entering the modern age with a lot of their tech, then that in itself is a big issue and one that needs to be addressed.
I think that might be the issue then. As far as anyone outside of SDS seems to be aware, they've been using their own proprietary engine since at least the PS2 days. They're probably well aware of how limiting it must be for visuals at this point but are unwilling to make the switch to a new engine because of the massive amount of work that must entail in such a short development cycle. If they were to port the game to a new engine it would probably need to be a multi-year project that left the yearly releases in the meantime lacking meaningful improvement. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2024, 11:56 AM   #292
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10

People base that you would need to trade off game play for graphics because of EA, keep in mind thats based off one engine . Baseball isnt on a timer, also keep in mind unlike NHL, FIFA, Madden you need to make Mortal Kombat combos to play the game. MLB, you push a button to pitch, a button to hit. Its much more simplified. No the reality is old gen has held this game back but you are paying for current gen game . Even if you are ok with the ballparks, even if you are ok with the dated dirt and grass ? The uniform/sleeve is OLD, it hasnt changed really in a decade except its in 4k. Its time, doesnt mean you cant like the game, doesnt you mean you cant still love the game, but it means you should get what you pay for. So MLB 25 needs to be a true current gen game imo.
Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 PM   #293
Rookie

marbury's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
I wanna see some actual gameplay footage of that PYS 24 game, by the looks of it, it would be a FPS nightmare, u can only get so much out of these console before other things suffer *
LOL every PYS is smooth as butter, even on Switch. Nice try.

PYS2019 4K 60FPS
https://youtu.be/JHMldjUsR_c?si=a-GE2Ke9mTyUjUDJ
大谷 翔平 #17
Shohei Ohtani
It's ThaGreatMuta

Last edited by marbury; 03-26-2024 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:30 PM   #294
Rookie

Quote:
I've asked this before, but why is there an assumption that if the game were to look better graphically, that the gameplay would get worse? The Show's gameplay is already fantastic, why would SDS have any reason to actively make it worse? In PYS, the gameplay isn't (in your eyes) subpar BECAUSE the graphics are good, they probably just aren't as good at developing gameplay as SDS. It has nothing to do with the visuals, there's no trade-off.
I don’t think anyone is saying this though. Everyone wants both. People are just saying that if you have to choose between drastic improvements in graphics vs. improvements in gameplay, they would take gameplay. The hope is that SDS can update their graphics and keep the gameplay untouched, however I’d assume there would have to be edits to the mo-caps and animations as well to update with the new player models.

Madden looks really nice, but plays awful and is usually a skip for me every year until they fix the gameplay. Whereas the Show look pretty decent, but the gameplay delivers every year.
Old 03-26-2024, 01:36 PM   #295
Rookie

I should also add, while it looks better than the Show, if you look at the stills from the gameplay part of the trailer, it’s not a huge difference. This isn’t knock what Konami has done, but just to say it shouldn’t take too much for SDS to upscale their textures and graphics to bring it to what to expect.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-26-2024, 02:25 PM   #296
Rookie

marbury's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
I should also add, while it looks better than the Show, if you look at the stills from the gameplay part of the trailer, it’s not a huge difference. This isn’t knock what Konami has done, but just to say it shouldn’t take too much for SDS to upscale their textures and graphics to bring it to what to expect.
The Show '30 when PS6 Pro arrives? Not with this engine.

Btw Konami has switched their engine 2 times already. They made the jump to Fox Engine in 2017 I think and now Unreal Engine. They carried over their old animations.
大谷 翔平 #17
Shohei Ohtani
It's ThaGreatMuta

Last edited by marbury; 03-26-2024 at 02:30 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »