Home

MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-22-2024, 02:33 AM   #273
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show Graphics Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
I’d be shocked if it wasn’t a technical reason of some sort, I don’t think they just ignore something as important as grass texture for no good reason, I also disagree something as intricate as blades of grass on 3/4 of a video game screen wouldn’t affect FPS at all
You wouldn't need to render each blade of grass when you can use a more efficient technique like parallax occlusion mapping to simulate the effect of depth without the need for additional geometry
Old 03-22-2024, 10:35 AM   #274
MVP

ltw0303cavs's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by canes21
Textures have essentially zero impact on framerate. The lack of better textures on things like the dirt and grass are not due to framerate worries. Or, I guess I should say they shouldn't have an impact unless their engine does things in a roundabout way.
Yeah if they cant improve Uniform Models/Ballpark Models on current gen with their engine thats a real problem.
Old 03-22-2024, 01:20 PM   #275
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by breakfastcat
You wouldn't need to render each blade of grass when you can use a more efficient technique like parallax occlusion mapping to simulate the effect of depth without the need for additional geometry

Again, just playing devils advocate at this point but I’d assume it’s a optimization issue with changing their current method of implementing grass fields to the game on consoles, I’ve heard of parallax on PC, not really familiar with it though
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-22-2024, 01:55 PM   #276
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strosdood
Again, just playing devils advocate at this point but I’d assume it’s a optimization issue with changing their current method of implementing grass fields to the game on consoles, I’ve heard of parallax on PC, not really familiar with it though
Parallax maps are very common on console games and have been used for years, widely utilized even on PS4 games. Its essentially just a flat texture that changes based on the cameras position. The Show already renders grass in 3D geometry at certain LODs, replacing that with a parallax map could theoretically improve performance.

Here's an example:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped....360p.vp9.webm
Old 03-25-2024, 06:14 AM   #277
Rookie

marbury's Arena

OVR: 5

Check out the PYS 2020 thread. Konami dropped some news. There you can see what a baseball game can look like on PS5.
大谷 翔平 #17
Shohei Ohtani
It's ThaGreatMuta
Old 03-25-2024, 08:15 AM   #278
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbury
Check out the PYS 2020 thread. Konami dropped some news. There you can see what a baseball game can look like on PS5.
The screenshots below:

Spoiler

Yes, this is what a modern game taking advantage of modern hardware looks like these days. It's fine if The Show looks good to you, personally, but objectively speaking The Show is a very dated game graphically and this is more of an example of what modern games are looking like and what The Show should be striving to look like as a first party AAA developed sports game.

― Plato
Old 03-25-2024, 09:57 AM   #279
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

These images are so far beyond The Show's visuals it's insane. Even just that dirt texture is enough to show how much better this game could look.

Sent from my SM-A156U using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2024, 02:47 PM   #280
Rookie

this is why I've been begging Konami to make a MLB game to compete with MLB the show, thats what next gen graphics are supposed to look like. this is what I expected MLB The show 21 to be when I got my PS5.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »