Home

AI Bullpen Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-26-2024, 08:23 AM   #57
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: AI Bullpen Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflock
I dont mind this. I want the cpu to have have some sort of variance and not just do everything basic on a static rating.
There is no logic to a team having a 50 rated RP on the 26 man roster while a 75 rated RP is sitting in AAA because the 50 rated RP is out of options.
Old 02-26-2024, 09:17 AM   #58
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflock
So this is something i dont think is an issue. The cpu actually has some variance when it comes to the closer spot which is a good thing. I believe they added closer logic in as well where if you closer is performing bad they will put someone else in the role.
Yeah, I dont consider it a problem to the point I feel I need to change anything, I just enjoy understanding.
Old 02-26-2024, 02:59 PM   #59
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
There is no logic to a team having a 50 rated RP on the 26 man roster while a 75 rated RP is sitting in AAA because the 50 rated RP is out of options.
Teams do carry worse players on their major league roster while sending better players to the minors because of options. Especially right out of Spring Training.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2024, 03:02 PM   #60
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Teams do carry worse players on their major league roster while sending better players to the minors because of options. Especially right out of Spring Training.

100% true. I have to fix it for them. Otherwise, drives me nuts that cpu teams are not at full strength.

Unless you're talking about real major league teams. Then there is no way they would carry a guy with no ML pitching experience over an experienced fully healthy high rated player.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:54 AM   #61
All Star

DonkeyJote's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcar0725
100% true. I have to fix it for them. Otherwise, drives me nuts that cpu teams are not at full strength.

Unless you're talking about real major league teams. Then there is no way they would carry a guy with no ML pitching experience over an experienced fully healthy high rated player.
Major League teams, in real life, absolutely carry players (especially pitchers) who are out of options over players that still have options. It happens every year coming out of Spring. As far as that guy having 0 ML experience, irl a guy probably isn't at the point where he was no options left without at least a cup of coffee in the majors.

But if you send the guy without options down to the minors, you're very likely going to lose them. So teams are often willing to accept slightly less production in the short term in exchange for greater depth going into the season.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-27-2024, 06:03 AM   #62
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

I get what you're saying, but I think you're talking about players with similar abilities/attributes. Not to this extreme (I attached a few sample pictures)18de7721d5666-screenshotUrl.jpeg18de772328015-screenshotUrl.jpeg18de772407c42-screenshotUrl.jpeg18de772517e58-screenshotUrl.jpeg
Old 02-27-2024, 08:17 AM   #63
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyJote
Major League teams, in real life, absolutely carry players (especially pitchers) who are out of options over players that still have options. It happens every year coming out of Spring. As far as that guy having 0 ML experience, irl a guy probably isn't at the point where he was no options left without at least a cup of coffee in the majors.

But if you send the guy without options down to the minors, you're very likely going to lose them. So teams are often willing to accept slightly less production in the short term in exchange for greater depth going into the season.

1000% percent, Options play a big role. Many players have been in camp and deserved to stay up but been sent down due to them having options and the other person not. Happens a lot if they feel they cannot slide the player through waivers.
Old 02-27-2024, 08:36 AM   #64
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

I do hope this is adjusted in MLBTS 24.
I found a way to get my bullpens acting somewhat realistically but it was a lot of work.

First, I edited ALL RP to have stamina less than 30. Formula was simple, if their stamina was 20-30, lower it by 10. (Ex. 26 stamina, turned into 16 Stamina)
If their Stamina was over 30, take the 1st digit and make that the second (Ex. 64 Stamina turned into 26)
This included RP players in base roster and any newly drafted RP.

I also lowered Relief Pitcher Stamina Slider to 1 and raised Starting Pitcher Stamina to 8, Manager Hook Slider to 2 (if I remembered, I'd raise to when CPU pulled their starter).

Second, Change all CP to RP

Third, No SP allowed in Bullpen. If they get moved to the bullpen, their Stamina must be under 30.

Fourth, I then would arrange the bullpen according to below:

LRP1 - Fifth Highest Overall
LRP2 - Sixth Highest Overall
LRP3 - (Empty)
MR1 - Third Highest Overall
MR2 - Fourth Highest Overall
MR3 - Seventh Highest Overall
MR4 - Eight Highest Overall
SU1 - Second Highest Overall
SU2 - (Empty)
CP - Highest Overall

This allowed the Closer and Setup man to handle almost every late inning tight game situation. The LR1 and LR2 turn into bulk guys that pitch a lot of innings but would be guys who aren't fully trusted but can get outs. The MR1 and MR2 end up with a ton of innings (less than LR1 and LR2) and the MR3 and MR4 end up less than 20 innings each year.

I'm hoping bullpen logic treated LRP as mop up guys who only pitch 4+ innings when the Starter gets rocked/injured and can't make it out of the 2nd inning. Currently, they treat them as second starters and act as a bridge from SP to CP over span of 3+ innings.

I also with the SU2 was more utilized. I used to always have a LHP and RHP in those roles until I learned SU2 is NEVER used. It'd be great for the AI to anticipate a lefty heavy part of the lineup and use the LHP SU2 reliever.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »