Home

AI Bullpen Logic

This is a discussion on AI Bullpen Logic within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-27-2024, 09:28 AM   #65
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: AI Bullpen Logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I do hope this is adjusted in MLBTS 24.
I found a way to get my bullpens acting somewhat realistically but it was a lot of work.

First, I edited ALL RP to have stamina less than 30. Formula was simple, if their stamina was 20-30, lower it by 10. (Ex. 26 stamina, turned into 16 Stamina)
If their Stamina was over 30, take the 1st digit and make that the second (Ex. 64 Stamina turned into 26)
This included RP players in base roster and any newly drafted RP.

I also lowered Relief Pitcher Stamina Slider to 1 and raised Starting Pitcher Stamina to 8, Manager Hook Slider to 2 (if I remembered, I'd raise to when CPU pulled their starter).

Second, Change all CP to RP

Third, No SP allowed in Bullpen. If they get moved to the bullpen, their Stamina must be under 30.

Fourth, I then would arrange the bullpen according to below:

LRP1 - Fifth Highest Overall
LRP2 - Sixth Highest Overall
LRP3 - (Empty)
MR1 - Third Highest Overall
MR2 - Fourth Highest Overall
MR3 - Seventh Highest Overall
MR4 - Eight Highest Overall
SU1 - Second Highest Overall
SU2 - (Empty)
CP - Highest Overall

This allowed the Closer and Setup man to handle almost every late inning tight game situation. The LR1 and LR2 turn into bulk guys that pitch a lot of innings but would be guys who aren't fully trusted but can get outs. The MR1 and MR2 end up with a ton of innings (less than LR1 and LR2) and the MR3 and MR4 end up less than 20 innings each year.

I'm hoping bullpen logic treated LRP as mop up guys who only pitch 4+ innings when the Starter gets rocked/injured and can't make it out of the 2nd inning. Currently, they treat them as second starters and act as a bridge from SP to CP over span of 3+ innings.

I also with the SU2 was more utilized. I used to always have a LHP and RHP in those roles until I learned SU2 is NEVER used. It'd be great for the AI to anticipate a lefty heavy part of the lineup and use the LHP SU2 reliever.
Wow, less than 20 innings each for those last 2 BP spots? Almost better off just going back to a 7-man bullpen and then carrying an extra bench player (late inning pinch runner/defensive sub like Billy Hamilton).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2024, 12:17 PM   #66
MVP

Jeffrey Smith's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetsFan16
I do hope this is adjusted in MLBTS 24.
I found a way to get my bullpens acting somewhat realistically but it was a lot of work.

First, I edited ALL RP to have stamina less than 30. Formula was simple, if their stamina was 20-30, lower it by 10. (Ex. 26 stamina, turned into 16 Stamina)
If their Stamina was over 30, take the 1st digit and make that the second (Ex. 64 Stamina turned into 26)
This included RP players in base roster and any newly drafted RP.

I also lowered Relief Pitcher Stamina Slider to 1 and raised Starting Pitcher Stamina to 8, Manager Hook Slider to 2 (if I remembered, I'd raise to when CPU pulled their starter).

Second, Change all CP to RP

Third, No SP allowed in Bullpen. If they get moved to the bullpen, their Stamina must be under 30.

Fourth, I then would arrange the bullpen according to below:

LRP1 - Fifth Highest Overall
LRP2 - Sixth Highest Overall
LRP3 - (Empty)
MR1 - Third Highest Overall
MR2 - Fourth Highest Overall
MR3 - Seventh Highest Overall
MR4 - Eight Highest Overall
SU1 - Second Highest Overall
SU2 - (Empty)
CP - Highest Overall

This allowed the Closer and Setup man to handle almost every late inning tight game situation. The LR1 and LR2 turn into bulk guys that pitch a lot of innings but would be guys who aren't fully trusted but can get outs. The MR1 and MR2 end up with a ton of innings (less than LR1 and LR2) and the MR3 and MR4 end up less than 20 innings each year.

I'm hoping bullpen logic treated LRP as mop up guys who only pitch 4+ innings when the Starter gets rocked/injured and can't make it out of the 2nd inning. Currently, they treat them as second starters and act as a bridge from SP to CP over span of 3+ innings.

I also with the SU2 was more utilized. I used to always have a LHP and RHP in those roles until I learned SU2 is NEVER used. It'd be great for the AI to anticipate a lefty heavy part of the lineup and use the LHP SU2 reliever.
I don’t want to be disrespectful but damn, I’m not going to go through all that to get bullpen numbers reasonable.

Do you edit all 30 teams?

That’s A LOT of time and effort.
NBA: TORONTO RAPTORS
Old 02-28-2024, 02:40 PM   #67
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith
I don’t want to be disrespectful but damn, I’m not going to go through all that to get bullpen numbers reasonable.

Yup and what they're really not telling you is that you still need to go in and rotate the pitchers periodically if you want realistic numbers.
Old 02-28-2024, 10:56 PM   #68
MVP

DallasRocks's Arena

OVR: 12

I bet this isn’t fixed in ‘24. Ruins franchise every year and they can’t fix it. Disappointing
Old 02-29-2024, 07:08 AM   #69
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasRocks
I bet this isn’t fixed in ‘24. Ruins franchise every year and they can’t fix it. Disappointing

One thing I was planning to do and for some thing might seem nuts BUT, I plan to use 30 team control, play as my team the Mets, but for all other games I will do the quick manage for every single game, I mean still only takes 2 minutes per game then I can control who comes in out of the pen. Seems like a lot of work but then you can make sure pens are getting used and correct decisions made.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:25 AM   #70
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Smith

No disrespect taken at all. It's not for everyone, I understand it's a lot of time and effort and I wish it weren't the case, but it worked for me last year for me. I take care of it before my franchise starts and don't look back so it's worth it for a full year cycle of somewhat realistic bullpen usage.

When I noticed the bullpen flawed AI it took away some of the realism I'd personally like to keep in my franchises so I make time for it.

Like I said, not for everyone and I wouldn't expect others to want to do the same, which is why I'm wishing SDS really focuses on it if not this year then in the very near future.
Old 02-29-2024, 07:26 AM   #71
MVP

MetsFan16's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by djflock
Yup and what they're really not telling you is that you still need to go in and rotate the pitchers periodically if you want realistic numbers.
I told myself I would but couldn't find a good system to do it all in one shot with each team. Told myself I'd do it once a month in game but that got too tedious and I wasn't sure if it'd pay off at season's end so I set them on Opening Day and forget it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2024, 10:57 AM   #72
Prince of Plakata

Jolly Roger's Arena

If they could somehow focus the sim bullpen logic on getting every RP innings, that would help a lot. That's not really far off from real life bullpen logic.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »