Home

Old 04-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #33
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Com vs Com sliders

lupus11,

those stats look pretty good, not enough homers for my taste, but overall, they look good. I'm in the middle of a game KC VS SEA and the mariners jumped out to a 4-0 lead in the first inning on 4 hits and 3 walks, including a homer by their catcher to deep center. now in the top of the sixth, the score is still 4-0. mariners have 9 hits, royals have 4. I will post final results after its over. contact @ 35 I believe is good, but depending on the pitchers, the game can still be a slugfest, even without the hr's. if I raise power anymore, even by five, I'm afraid we'll have batting practice...I will give it a couple more games before I take that plunge.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:11 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 2

johnriii,

The balance between hits and Ks seems to be the biggest problem. Homers were low to ok with those sliders: 10 HRs in seven games equals 0.7 HRs each team per game. Current MLB season has the Yankees hitting 1.9 per game, Twins are worst at 0.4 per game. Possibly raising power to 80 while reducing contact to 30 give homers a little boost keeping hits in the right range.

Ok, game two Rangers-Yankees played using the latest tweaks, interesting start. I happened to check the pitch counts for the first seven games under my original sliders, the average number of pitches per team each game was 123.6. I found this article http://www.baseball-reference.com/blog/archives/7533 which gives the average number of pitches in the MLB at 146. Ok, after 9 innings the Rangers had thrown 149, the Yankees 146! There was a better feel and pace to the game, so reducing pitch success to 55 seems to have worked. The Yankees won the game 6-5 after 10 innings, both teams finishing with 15 hits and 1 error. The hit count after 9 innings was NYY 13-12 Texas so a little higher, but each team had one drop in the outfield (sometihng I haven't seen often in this game), so error free baseball would have the count at 12-11 after 9 full innings, not dramatically more than in some of the other games. Cincy had 11 and 13 vs Philly, the Braves and Giants each had 10 in game one, while Boston had 11 and 8 vs. the Twins. The Yankees have always been one of the better hitting teams on any sliders I have tried, so we'll see how we go. After nine innings the Yankees were hitting .333, Texas .300, both increased slightly during the extra inning. Nine innings saw the Yankees 0/1 on steal attempts, they finished 1/3 overall, the Rangers were 1/1 after nine and in total. So, the hits increased slightly with the adjusted sliders, but not worryingly so. The best news was the number of Ks reduced to a more realistic figure, 7 for each team, with Texas getting one of theirs in the extra inning. BBs were NYY 4-3 Texas. It was by far the best game to watch, I'd have preferred 3 or 4 hits fewer per team and maybe a couple of homers, but not bad. It's promising, but I'll play out the rest of the LDS with these. I'm not sure if reducing pitch speed affects the CPU vs CPU but pitch success at 55 seems to have pitch counts more realistic. No HRs in this game, so I think power at 80 might be the way to, possibly reducing contact to 30 or increasing infielder speed by 5. I think we're getting as close as we will be able to get: hits between 7-10, Ks 5-9, runs 3-6, about 90% of the time would be ideal. Of course the teams I am using are contenders, it might be worth trying a few more obvious mismatches at some point. The sliders may get us close, but I guess there's always the 'pleasure' of tweaking individual player stats, wouldn't that be 'fun'? ;-)

Currently watching Philly at Cincy, top of the 5th, Philly leading 2-1, 3 hits and 4Ks each, Philly has 2 SBs. Looking ok...so far!

Last edited by Lupus11; 04-27-2011 at 04:28 AM. Reason: ...
Old 04-27-2011, 05:01 AM   #35
Rookie

Ok, Phillies and Reds have completed game 3. My fears that the new sliders would lead to hit fests didn't come to pass. Philly wins 3-1 on 8 hits to 3. Error count Philly 1-0 Cincy.

SBs: Phillies were 3/3, Reds 0/0.
Ks : Phillies 8, Reds 6
BBs: Phillies 2, Reds 3
Avg: Phillies .242, Reds .100
Pitch count: Phillies 98, Reds 105

These stats are much closer to how I imagined these two would play. Reds lead series 2-1. No homers, but it was a pitching duel, I'm tempted to increase power to 80, but I'll hold off for remainder of LCS. The next game is Boston and Minnesota, the Red Sox have hit 4 HRs in two games, so hopefully they will clear the wall...none so far with power at 75 with these sliders in two games.

As I clicked to post this, Jason Kubel just homered off Josh Beckett in the bottom of the 1st!!!

Last edited by Lupus11; 04-27-2011 at 05:34 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-27-2011, 07:34 AM   #36
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus11
As I clicked to post this, Jason Kubel just homered off Josh Beckett in the bottom of the 1st!!!
Boston win the series 3-0 with a 6-3 victory. The game was tied at 3-3 after just two innings.

Hits : Red Sox 10, Twins 11
Ks : Red Sox 4, Twins 7
BBs : Red Sox 2, Twins 6
SBs : Red Sox 2/2, Twins 0/0
Avg : Red Sox .285, Twins .323
Pitch count: Red Sox 119, Twins 152
Twins had one error

Good game, started with 3 homers in first two innings. Red Sox twice left bases loaded, second time man out caught by wall. Hit numbers on high end, but Boston were averaging 9.5 on old sliders, no reason for concern yet. Ks much lower, BBs quite high, but so far averaging within realistic range over three games on these sliders. Boston had 7 singles, 1 double, 1 treble; Twins had 9 singles. Saltalamacchia homered for Boston, Kubel and Thome for Minnesota.

After three games with these sliders, hits are high but still averaging less than 10 per team, while runs Ks and batting averages right in the middle of current MLB ranges. I'm happy with these sliders so far, would prefer hits down a touch without boosting pitching numbers. Infielder speed seems to be the way to cut down too many groundball hits. Number of homers may be only major issue to resolve, but there have been two more in 5 innings of next game already. Everything else is within current MLB ranges, at worst towards the high end for hits and BBs.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 AM   #37
Rookie

Ok, last one for today.

Reds win series 3-1 with a 5-0 victory over Phillies.

Hits : Phillies 8, Reds 10
Ks : Phillies 9, Reds 4
BBs : Phillies 1, Reds 1
SBs : Phillies 0/1, Reds 0/0
Avg : Phillies .266, Reds .322
Pitch count : Phillies 100, Reds 107
No errors

Another good defensive matchup between these two. Hits quite high, but Reds had been averaging 12 with old sliders and Phillies 7.5 in those two games. Ks good again, and BBs low. BBs with these new sliders are now right in the middle of current MLB season range after four games. Ks are now 6.37 per team per game, again in the middle of range for MLB stats. Phillies managed 8 singles, Reds had 6 singles and 1 double.

And the good news is there were 3 homers for the Reds, Stubbs hit 2 of them and Votto had the other. That's three in each of the last two games with these sliders, after zero in the first two games. On average there are 2 homers per game (both teams combined) in MLB, so we'll see how this goes, looks promising. Braves and Giants are tied 1-1, and the Rangers and Yankees are also 1-1. So, at least four more games in the LDS, so should have a decent idea of how these sliders work out. Hits still towards the top end of the MLB range, averaging about 1 hit per team more than the old sliders, but that is not too bad.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:22 PM   #38
Pro

johnriii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus11
Ok, last one for today.

Reds win series 3-1 with a 5-0 victory over Phillies.

Hits : Phillies 8, Reds 10
Ks : Phillies 9, Reds 4
BBs : Phillies 1, Reds 1
SBs : Phillies 0/1, Reds 0/0
Avg : Phillies .266, Reds .322
Pitch count : Phillies 100, Reds 107
No errors

Another good defensive matchup between these two. Hits quite high, but Reds had been averaging 12 with old sliders and Phillies 7.5 in those two games. Ks good again, and BBs low. BBs with these new sliders are now right in the middle of current MLB season range after four games. Ks are now 6.37 per team per game, again in the middle of range for MLB stats. Phillies managed 8 singles, Reds had 6 singles and 1 double.

And the good news is there were 3 homers for the Reds, Stubbs hit 2 of them and Votto had the other. That's three in each of the last two games with these sliders, after zero in the first two games. On average there are 2 homers per game (both teams combined) in MLB, so we'll see how this goes, looks promising. Braves and Giants are tied 1-1, and the Rangers and Yankees are also 1-1. So, at least four more games in the LDS, so should have a decent idea of how these sliders work out. Hits still towards the top end of the MLB range, averaging about 1 hit per team more than the old sliders, but that is not too bad.

I like the variety of games you're getting.later tonight, I'm going to post the game from last night, then the one I'm saving right now. with the two rookie phenoms, the Royals are 8-5.
Old 04-27-2011, 11:08 PM   #39
Pro

johnriii's Arena

kc 6 sea 4
hits kc 9 sea 11
HR kc 1 sea 0
SO kc 12 sea 5
BB KC 2 SEA 5

all hits were singles other than the homer by Alex Gordon. SO's a bit high, but some unknown royals reliever had 7 in 3.1 innings of work. J. Jeffress is his name. anyway, I'm OK with the stats that came out of this game. 3 errors between the teams as well.

KC 5 SEA 1
hits KC 11 SEA 5
HR KC 2 SEA
so KC 11 SEA 5
BB KC 3 SEA 2
0 ERRORS

Billy butler went yard in the first inning, and E. Hosmer got one in the third. Soria struck out 4 of 5 batters faced, so I won't freak over double digit strikeouts. I did raise power to 80, and didn't get the homerfest that I thought would come, especially since butler went deep early. Sea actually went to the warning track on four different fly balls, so I guess it could have been worse. I'm leaving the sliders alone for the next four games to see what happens, I think I may be close.....
Old 04-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #40
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
kc 6 sea 4
hits kc 9 sea 11
HR kc 1 sea 0
SO kc 12 sea 5
BB KC 2 SEA 5

all hits were singles other than the homer by Alex Gordon. SO's a bit high, but some unknown royals reliever had 7 in 3.1 innings of work. J. Jeffress is his name. anyway, I'm OK with the stats that came out of this game. 3 errors between the teams as well.

KC 5 SEA 1
hits KC 11 SEA 5
HR KC 2 SEA
so KC 11 SEA 5
BB KC 3 SEA 2
0 ERRORS

Billy butler went yard in the first inning, and E. Hosmer got one in the third. Soria struck out 4 of 5 batters faced, so I won't freak over double digit strikeouts. I did raise power to 80, and didn't get the homerfest that I thought would come, especially since butler went deep early. Sea actually went to the warning track on four different fly balls, so I guess it could have been worse. I'm leaving the sliders alone for the next four games to see what happens, I think I may be close.....
Nice stats, is this with power at 80? I wonder if that may account for the higher strikeouts?

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K > MLB 2K Sliders »