Home

Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 PM   #25
Rookie

randogu's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Com vs Com sliders

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii

My biggest dilemma is do i up the power slider, and risk a homer fest. I'm also getting way too many strikeouts, so either pitch success should come down, or contact should go up. I'm leaning to the former, that may solve the lack of power problem as well. or maybe I'm just watching too much sportscenter, and the power numbers are fine. I will post once more this week, depending on feedback from others.
I think if you up the POWER slider then you're going to have to bring the OUTFIELDER SPEED slider along for the ride. The higher you go on POWER, the more truly hard hit gappers you'll see and the more exposed the outfielders inability to cut things off becomes.

This thread makes a very good case for higher outfielder speeds and is worth a quick read through for CPUvCPU guys as well.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...50-higher.html

As for strike outs, another way to go about it is to lower PITCH BREAK INFLUENCE. The slider effects how fooled the batter gets by breaking balls and changes in speed, potentially having a great effect on K's.

The thing that stands out to me about this is that it can have this great effect on strike outs while having no direct effect on weather or not a pitcher successfully executed his pitch (PITCH SUCCESS), nor to some degree the batter executing his swing(CONTACT).

You keep lowering PITCH SUCCESS and I think all you really end up telling the game is to have the pitcher fail at executing his intended pitch 8 out of 10 times, or whatever its set at. That excessive failure could lead to less strikeouts, but probably leads to increased offense, rattled pitchers, extended innings etc as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-23-2011, 01:40 AM   #26
Pro

johnriii's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by randogu
I think if you up the POWER slider then you're going to have to bring the OUTFIELDER SPEED slider along for the ride. The higher you go on POWER, the more truly hard hit gappers you'll see and the more exposed the outfielders inability to cut things off becomes.

This thread makes a very good case for higher outfielder speeds and is worth a quick read through for CPUvCPU guys as well.

http://www.operationsports.com/forum...50-higher.html

As for strike outs, another way to go about it is to lower PITCH BREAK INFLUENCE. The slider effects how fooled the batter gets by breaking balls and changes in speed, potentially having a great effect on K's.

The thing that stands out to me about this is that it can have this great effect on strike outs while having no direct effect on weather or not a pitcher successfully executed his pitch (PITCH SUCCESS), nor to some degree the batter executing his swing(CONTACT).

You keep lowering PITCH SUCCESS and I think all you really end up telling the game is to have the pitcher fail at executing his intended pitch 8 out of 10 times, or whatever its set at. That excessive failure could lead to less strikeouts, but probably leads to increased offense, rattled pitchers, extended innings etc as well.
I think these are very good points, I never considered break influence in regards to the high strikeout numbers. I'm about to start a new franchise with the Royals...and I will include a lowering of pitch break influence, and a boost to the outfielders speed to 50. I will post a few games and the slider settings either tomorrow or sunday. and WHEN is that dang patch coming out?
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 AM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 2

Hi,

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while looking for good cpu vs cpu sliders, so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Like others the problem I have had is trying to get the right balance between pitching and batting, trying to find the right balance between numbers of strikeouts, walks and hits has been frustrating, but after some experimentation with fielder speeds and other tweaks of johnriii's slider set (above), I think I've got fairly close to realism in the crucial stats.

Earlier today I had a look at the team stats on the MLB website, and the team stats I think are the most important are as follows:

Hits : 7 to 10 per game
Ks : 5.2 to 8.6 per game
Runs : 2.9 to 5.4 per game
Avg : .214 to .295
ERA : 2.53 to 5.19

(Most teams have now played about 20 games)

These numbers are for the top and bottom ranked teams in each category, not combined numbers for both teams per game.

I've managed to get into these ranges during several test games, but will now run a full postseason with my slider settings so as to get a decent number of games and have some interest in the actual results rather than just the stats. I won't make any changes to my sliders at least until the first round is complete, so I'll have between 12 and 20 games' worth of stats. I'll post as and when each round is complete, so hopefully this time next week.

Ok, my sliders are similar to johnriii's, changes in red. New changes in blue. Pitch success and fielder speeds the most important changes. Trying to find the right balance between batting and pitching led to either too many strikeouts or a hit fest. Higher fielder speeds mean your team plays defense, rather than relying on your pitcher alone. Hope this helps.

batting contact 40
batting power 80
bunt contact 50
bunt sucess 50

AI Pitch speed 50
AI Pitch success 60
AI strike zone tendency 50
AI pitch break influence 40
Composure influence 5

Gather error frequency 55
throwing error frequency 60
Oufield throw speeds 70
infield throw speeds 50
Outfield run speed 85
Infield run speed 85

base runner speed 50
hit n run tendency 75
sac bunt tendency 75
squeeze tendency 65
base running aggression 100
steal aggression 85
catcher arm strength 60
catcher arm accuracy 40

The increase in fielder speed seems to be most crucial, particularly the infielders who now seem to play defense rather than just get lucky and be in 'right' place for stopping ground balls. I have been seeing realistic numbers of doubles, triples and homers; errors seem to be occuring at a realistic number, there are steal attempts (this may need adjusting upwards), and generally there's a bit of everything happening, and the good players are producing. Ok, thanks again to everyone who has done so much work with sliders, I wouldn't have had a clue where to start.

The play-offs I am running are based on Fox Sports preseason Power Rankings, so it's:

NL
Phillies 1-3 Reds
Giants 1-3 Braves*

AL
Red Sox 3-0 Twins
Rangers 3-1 Yankees*

*wildcard

NLCS
Braves 4-1 Reds

ALCS
Red Sox 2-4 Rangers

WS
Braves 4-3 Rangers

Last edited by Lupus11; 07-17-2011 at 05:09 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:04 PM   #28
Pro

johnriii's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupus11
Hi,

This is my first post but I have been lurking for a while looking for good cpu vs cpu sliders, so thanks to everyone who has contributed.

Like others the problem I have had is trying to get the right balance between pitching and batting, trying to find the right balance between numbers of strikeouts, walks and hits has been frustrating, but after some experimentation with fielder speeds and other tweaks of johnriii's slider set (above), I think I've got fairly close to realism in the crucial stats.

Earlier today I had a look at the team stats on the MLB website, and the team stats I think are the most important are as follows:

Hits : 7 to 10 per game
Ks : 5.2 to 8.6 per game
Runs : 2.9 to 5.4 per game
Avg : .214 to .295
ERA : 2.53 to 5.19

(Most teams have now played about 20 games)

These numbers are for the top and bottom ranked teams in each category, not combined numbers for both teams per game.

I've managed to get into these ranges during several test games, but will now run a full postseason with my slider settings so as to get a decent number of games and have some interest in the actual results rather than just the stats. I won't make any changes to my sliders at least until the first round is complete, so I'll have between 12 and 20 games' worth of stats. I'll post as and when each round is complete, so hopefully this time next week.

Ok, my sliders are similar to johnriii's, changes in red:

batting contact 35
batting power 75
bunt contact 50
bunt sucess 50

AI Pitch speed 80
AI Pitch success 60
AI strike zone tendency 50
AI pitch break influence 40
Composure influence 5

Gather error frequency 55
throwing error frequency 55
Oufield throw speeds 70
infield throw speeds 50
Outfield run speed 50
Infield run speed 60

base runner speed 50
hit n run tendency 75
sac bunt tendency 75
squeeze tendency 65
base running aggression 100
steal aggression 85
catcher arm strength 60
catcher arm accuracy 40

The increase in fielder speed seems to be most crucial, particularly the infielders who now seem to play defense rather than just get lucky and be in 'right' place for stopping ground balls. I have been seeing realistic numbers of doubles, triples and homers; errors seem to be occuring at a realistic number, there are steal attempts (this may need adjusting upwards), and generally there's a bit of everything happening, and the good players are producing. Ok, thanks again to everyone who has done so much work with sliders, I wouldn't have had a clue where to start.

The play-offs I am running are based on Fox Sports preseason Power Rankings, so it's:

NL
Phillies vs Reds
Giants vs Braves*

AL
Red Sox vs Twins
Rangers vs Yankees*

*wildcard

looking forward to seeing your results, and I have lowered my contact down to 35, I was still seeing way too many hits. your pitch speed is a bit high, IMO, but it shouldn't really matter to the CPU. for my taste, too many homers are going to the opposite field, so I was thinking of actually lowering that slider...I will be posting my results from a couple games tonight.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:59 PM   #29
Pro

johnriii's Arena

well, here are results from two games with the Lupus11 settings. BTW, I have taken the liberty of creating the top Royals prospects, since Moustakas' last name was an option, as well as Hosmer. funny thing though, the last name Montgomery was not...hmmm. No, I didn't create the next Ken Griffey jr, both of them are 76 contact, 81 power, and Hosmer is an above average fielder. anyway, here are the results.

Royals 2 tigers 1
8 hits per team, 0 homers, 5 strikeouts for tigers pitchers, 8 strikeouts for royals pitchers. tigers pitchers walked 3, royals 2. all in all, not bad.

Royals 11 twins 8
Royals 16 hits (1 homer, pena) twins 14 hits (0 homers) twins pitchers SO 10, walked 6, royals pitchers SO 9, walked 7
completely different than the first game with the tigers, but still, only 1 homer in two games. I will run a few more with no changes to see if the power outage is still in place, then I will probably up that by increments of five. Morneau hit two warning track shots in this game, and Pena hit his to the opposite field, barely over the right field wall. I am very pleased with the apparent drop in strikeouts from what I was getting before, but now the walks are doubled. I will also keep track of that over the next few games to see if that can be tweaked.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:52 AM   #30
Rookie

Hi,

Six games into the play-off series I have had nine HRs with these sliders. The average number of runs per team is exactly 4 per game, hits are averaging 8.6 per team, and Ks are averaging 9.1 per team per game, which seems largely due to the Twins being overwhelmed by the Red Sox. The batting average for all teams is standing at .257 so far. So compared to the season stats so far it's pretty good, the Ks are slightly high, but we'll see how it goes over the course of the playoffs.

The first game I played was a 5-0 win for the Reds over the Phillies (only 2 hits), unfortunately I 'quit' before the game had finished doing its thing, and lost the game. The re-match went the same way, but the final score was 10-2 to the Reds (11 hits to 9, and 3 ks to 8) Phillips and Gomes hit homers for the Reds. Both teams had 7 singles and 2 doubles, and the Reds had 1 stolen base.

The Reds won game two easily 9-2 with 13 hits to 6 for Philly. The Ks were Reds 9-13 Phillies. Rolen and Bruce hit HRs for Cincy. No errors in the series

Boston beat Minnesota 4-1 in game one, with 11 hits to the Twins' 6. each team had 1 error. The Sox had 13 ks, Twins had 7, and Boston were 1 for 2 on steal attempts. Crawford hit a homer for Boston, who also recorded 9 singles and 1 double. Only 6 singles for the Twins.

Game two was an easy 9-1 win for Boston, but on just 8 hits compared to the Twins' 9. Minn had one error. Gonzalez homered twice and Youkilis once. Boston had 2 singles, 3 doubles, Minn had 9 singles and one steal. Ks were 15 to 7 in Boston's favor.

Atlanta are one up on SF after a 5-4 victory. 10 hits each team, one error by SF. Gonzales homered for the Braves, Sanchez for the Giants. The Braves had 6 singles, 2 doubles and 1 triple, SF had 8 singles and 1 double. Braves were 0/1 on steal attempts. Braves had 9 Ks, SF had 8.

The Rangers lead the series after a 1-0 victory over the Yankees. Texas had 6 hits: 3 singles, 2 doubles and 1 triple. NY had 5 hits: 4 singles, 1 double. Ranger committed 2 errors, Yankees 0. Texas had 10 Ks, NY had 7. No steal attempts.

Strikeouts are a little above MLB average, but most other stats seem pretty good. May have to up steal aggression. Also, might lower 'pitch success' and up 'infielder speed', both by 5, and possibly 'outfielder speed' too. Just need to drop number of Ks in favor of groundball outs. But will continue with these sliders for first round.

BBs are averaging out at 2.25 each team per game. The current MLB low for BBs is 2.45 per game (Orioles) and the high is 4.18 (Rockies). BBs have varied quite a bit so far, but really need more games to see how this works out..

Thanks.

Last edited by Lupus11; 04-26-2011 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Forgot BBs stats...
Old 04-26-2011, 06:11 AM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnriii
looking forward to seeing your results, and I have lowered my contact down to 35, I was still seeing way too many hits. your pitch speed is a bit high, IMO, but it shouldn't really matter to the CPU. for my taste, too many homers are going to the opposite field, so I was thinking of actually lowering that slider...I will be posting my results from a couple games tonight.
Interesting what you say about pitch speed. Does it make a difference for CPU vs CPU? At the moment the only stat that is a little off is the number of Ks, ideally the average would be about 7.1 per team per game rather than the 9.1 that I'm seeing. I'll drop pitch speed by 5 from the third game of each series or for the LCS, unless you'd care to try a few games with a lower pitch speed, and see if there is an change.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #32
Rookie

Ok, the latest game was a 2-1 victory for the Giants over the Braves to level th series at 1-1. The Braves managed 5 hits: 4 singles and 1 triple. The Giants had 6 hits: 5 singles and 1 double. Each team had 2 BBs, and the Giants were 0/1 in steal attempts. All in all a nice defensive battle, but too many Ks: Braves had 12, Giants had 13.

I've decided to make a few tweaks for the next game (Yankees at Rangers) in an effort to cut the Ks. I'm dropping pitch speed to 75, pitch success to 55, while increasing outfielder speed to 55 and infielder speed to 65. Hopefully this will cut the Ks, while the increase in fielder speeds should keep the offensive numbers close to how they have been. The decrease in pitch success may increase BBs, but they have been a little below average to this point. I'll run these new sliders through to the end of the LDS, and then see how they match up.

After seven games the teams had been averaging 3.64 runs each per game on 8.21 hits, batting average of .247 with 2.21 BBs per game. The only problem was Ks being a little high: 9.57 each team per game, about 2 Ks too high. There 10 HRs in the 7 games. There was one shutout (plus the 'lost' game), and four occasions when teams were held to 1 run (inc. Texas in its 1-0 win over NYY). Runs, hits and batting average worked out at just about average for MLB, BBs just below average. I will get at least 6 games with these changes, if it turns into a scoring/hitting fest then I'll just put up with high Ks and low-ish BBs and go back to the original sliders. It's a shame that the sliders can only be tweaked in increments of 5 rather than 1 as in NBA 2K11. But all in all, pleased with the game, and if I only end up with one gripe because Ks are 2 too many on average, then ok.

Ok, Yankees and Rangers, game two...

Last edited by Lupus11; 04-26-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: Forgot HRs

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Other Baseball Games > MLB 2K > MLB 2K Sliders »