Home

AI Passes 75% of the Time

This is a discussion on AI Passes 75% of the Time within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-23-2023, 10:31 AM   #65
Pro

MattyIce's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: AI Passes 75% of the Time

I’ve been seeing all of this over the last 2 weeks. Backed out of several games and restarted with new playbooks and it just doesn’t get better. I’m playing against Denver and Javonte is injured so I understand mayne why they wouldn’t run as much, but it’s been like 20 pass attempts to 5 runs in just the 1st quarter

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-23-2023, 02:42 PM   #66
MVP

gman2774's Arena

OVR: 4

Anyone seeing the drastic uneven pass to run ratios using default sliders? There was a theory earlier this year that those using default sliders were seeing better pass to run ratios then those using custom sliders. Just wondering if that theory held any water and if anyone has tested.
Old 11-23-2023, 04:14 PM   #67
Pro

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by gman2774
Anyone seeing the drastic uneven pass to run ratios using default sliders? There was a theory earlier this year that those using default sliders were seeing better pass to run ratios then those using custom sliders. Just wondering if that theory held any water and if anyone has tested.
I've done nearly 4 seasons worth of games with primarily penalty only adjustments. No gameplay slider adjustments. I've also done some testing with no penalty or gameplay adjustments. It doesn't make a difference having it at default. This is a playbook problem. 5 minutes of looking thru the default playbooks shows the problem. The only successful thing I've found is giving the Bears PB to the CPU, niners is decent too.

Ea really needs to clean up the default playbooks or even better let us give the CPU custom playbooks without the game crashing. As you progress in your franchise custom playbooks would be awesome because you could tailor it to your franchise rosters. In my franchise Seattle drafted a scrambling QB. It would be cool to be able to give them a custom book instead of the same one they are running with Smith. Custom playbooks would be huge but right now it makes the game crash or the team disappear glitch happen.
Old 11-25-2023, 11:46 AM   #68
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdogg097
I've done nearly 4 seasons worth of games with primarily penalty only adjustments. No gameplay slider adjustments. I've also done some testing with no penalty or gameplay adjustments. It doesn't make a difference having it at default. This is a playbook problem. 5 minutes of looking thru the default playbooks shows the problem. The only successful thing I've found is giving the Bears PB to the CPU, niners is decent too.

Ea really needs to clean up the default playbooks or even better let us give the CPU custom playbooks without the game crashing. As you progress in your franchise custom playbooks would be awesome because you could tailor it to your franchise rosters. In my franchise Seattle drafted a scrambling QB. It would be cool to be able to give them a custom book instead of the same one they are running with Smith. Custom playbooks would be huge but right now it makes the game crash or the team disappear glitch happen.
I agree. And the bigger problem seems to be this. The playbooks determine both the CPU playcalling and the simulation stats. So I think what has been happening is they adjust the playbooks to get the simulation stats correct as closely as possible. If I remember correctly the problem from last year was way too much running in the sim stats, so they probably had to make playbooks more pass happy.

This probably screwed up the CPU playcalling as a byproduct to make them pass too much. So I think the real solution is to develop a new sim engine that’s no based on the playbook, but coach tendencies instead. Kind of like the previous Madden’s where you could choose your run frequency. I think if they use playbooks for both sim stats and play calling for CPU we are always going to end up in this tug of war and get unrealistic playcalling or sim stats.
Old 11-26-2023, 12:44 AM   #69
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by melodicmarc
I agree. And the bigger problem seems to be this. The playbooks determine both the CPU playcalling and the simulation stats. So I think what has been happening is they adjust the playbooks to get the simulation stats correct as closely as possible. If I remember correctly the problem from last year was way too much running in the sim stats, so they probably had to make playbooks more pass happy.

This probably screwed up the CPU playcalling as a byproduct to make them pass too much. So I think the real solution is to develop a new sim engine that’s no based on the playbook, but coach tendencies instead. Kind of like the previous Madden’s where you could choose your run frequency. I think if they use playbooks for both sim stats and play calling for CPU we are always going to end up in this tug of war and get unrealistic playcalling or sim stats.
The real solution is to have only 1 sim engine. A game called Football Pro in the 90s allowed you to “sim” games using the gameplay engine - the only difference between simming and playing is that the graphics werent rendered when simming.
Old 11-26-2023, 11:29 AM   #70
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

So after the Eagles ran the ball a combined 9 times between Hurts, Swift and Gainwell in a 38-16 blowout they ran the ball 22 times in our second meeting with them which was a 32-29 victory for the Eagles.

I didn’t change any playbooks so I’m not even sure there’s any rhyme or reason in which the CPU is calling plays.

I’m about to play my divisional round playoff game against them so I’ll edit the post after seeing what they do in the third game.

Old 11-26-2023, 01:05 PM   #71
Rookie

ShaneTheMaster's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ML
So after the Eagles ran the ball a combined 9 times between Hurts, Swift and Gainwell in a 38-16 blowout they ran the ball 22 times in our second meeting with them which was a 32-29 victory for the Eagles.

I didn’t change any playbooks so I’m not even sure there’s any rhyme or reason in which the CPU is calling plays.

I’m about to play my divisional round playoff game against them so I’ll edit the post after seeing what they do in the third game.

Plays are called based on situation. Plays in playbook are grouped by situation. So, for example if you are getting many 3rd and 9s vs 3rd and 3s in a game, you will get a lot more passes. The playcall logic calls random plays from the situational groupings in the playbook, so you will get different results because of different situations, and the randomness built into those situational groupings.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-27-2023, 10:24 AM   #72
ML
MVP

ML's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneTheMaster
Plays are called based on situation. Plays in playbook are grouped by situation. So, for example if you are getting many 3rd and 9s vs 3rd and 3s in a game, you will get a lot more passes. The playcall logic calls random plays from the situational groupings in the playbook, so you will get different results because of different situations, and the randomness built into those situational groupings.
This makes sense from a high level but I don't really see this being applied throughout the entire game besides obvious passing downs. I understand the logic they are trying to apply to 3rd and long of course, but what about 1st and 10 etc.? Also, even in third and long scenarios there shouldn't be a pass play called 100% of the time. I'm not sure the CPU has ever called a draw play on third down against me - at least not in recent memory. Still, there should be way more run plays called, especially if the CPU is up 3 touchdowns late in the game regardless of down and distance. The Eagles run the ball 42% of the time this year so there's really no reason for there to be 6 designed run plays called in a game regardless of the scenario unless the game is being played on 2 minute quarters. In general I think that the attempt to milk the clock by the CPU at any point in the game regardless of down, distance, and score doesn't really exist.

Last edited by ML; 11-27-2023 at 10:26 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »