Home

NHL 24 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 24 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-04-2023, 12:13 PM   #49
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 24 Impressions

I think we will see tuners and patching once the masses play it/pressure system definitely needs tuned, dumps need more distance, etc..

It's going to take me many games before I can really give a good impression, I'm still learning the total control scheme.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:37 PM   #50
Rookie

Ac3way's Arena

OVR: 0

Pressure fills 2-3x too fast.

One big hit on a middle ice and then attack with quick one timer. I have full pressure after winning faceoff. Whole game there is almost all the time pressure full, constantly changing whitch team is attacking.

Also hip check is like brick wall. Fun to use, but you can use it even at wrong situations. Like on a board plays or battleing for puck.

Otherwise lots of a good stuff (AI, physically, passing) on NHL 24 based on 4h of playtime, but also some things will get annoying fast (specially those faceoff songs and lights). Improvement on previous year, but i am still woried how balanced and good it is when playing few hundred hours and couple months.

Probably sticking with my NHL 23 rosters and sliders (450h already), maybe buying NHL 24 later on sale. Prefer spent my money to other games. But i would say NHL 24 was surprisingly positive experience. Need to test it even more.
Old 10-04-2023, 12:56 PM   #51
Rookie

NHL 24 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
Do you wind up the shot with RS/R3? If you don’t push it back far or move it too fast, then you won’t get anything on it. Should be a quick wind up and then push forward for a hard (but less accurate) slapper.

The RS dump feature was toned down, but I think with the patch they are adding a bit more distance on it because it was toned down a lot. If you hold it and flip more forward it will go a little further, but they def need to add some more to it.

Thanks for the reply. I pull the right stick back and forward as I have for years in this Franchise and this is the first time I am experiencing this issue. @Knich1 stated that L2 has to be completely released for it to work properly. I’ll have to confirm, but that may be it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2023, 01:00 PM   #52
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

So I finally got to play some games last night and here’s what I like and don’t like:

Like:

1) Gameplay actually feels pretty good. Skaters are moving realistically around the ice in my opinion, and the new hitting mechanics and sustained pressure systems definitely make the game feel “fresh”

2) Defense. You just can’t sell out for hits and poke checks anymore. You have to position your defense and play smart because if you miss you are cooked. Conversely, the AI defense is doing a good job filling space and trying to be patient. That is until the pressure meter goes full. Then they will send two guys at the luck carrier leaving way too many guys open for easy back door goals. Playing defense just feels better

3) Puck physics. I feel like the pucks are ricocheting off of goalies in a much more realistic way now

Dislikes:

1) The sustained pressure system is still filling up way too quickly and still needs to be toned down. Also, I’d you retreat into your defensive zone from the neutral zone the pressure meter starts filling up without the cpu having possess the puck. This is a common tactic in real hockey to reset the break out and should not be happening. The pressure meter should only start to fill once the AI team posses the puck and enters the zone

2) Goalies, while they are making much better saves their rebound control is horrible. At least 4 times last night there were goals where the goalie made a good save with there blocker, only to have the puck ricochet 10 feet up on the air and bounce off their back for a goal

3) The net dislodges like 5-7 times a game

4) Franchise PP and Pk strategies are still broken. The big change last year was the new PP strategies (1-3-1) and PK strategy (the wedge). The 1-3-1 is the most commonly used PP strategy in the NHL. Not enough teams are implementing it in franchise. First franchise I started last night only 3 teams generated with the 1-3-1 as their power play strategy, and only one team generated with the wedge

5) Player management in franchise majorly broken. Simulated first season to see how logic is working. Going into second season 28 of 32 teams only have in the neighborhood of 32-36 players under contract. This is a PROBLEM

This it so far
Old 10-04-2023, 01:01 PM   #53
MVP

DarthRambo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by PernellKarl076
Keep in mind that this is very early review as I played 3 full games OFFLINE. All with 15 minutes periods. Yes I’m crazy, lol !

To compare apples with apples, what I’ve done is I loaded my sliders from 23 to get a good comparison. Everything is the same, minus the Roster obviously.

I play Player Lock on D, never asking for a pass, Action Camera and on Superstar difficulty. So basically it’s 90% AI playing. Right ?

Here what my Standard End of Game Stats look like on 23 with my Roster and setup:

Attachment 208126

I played first 2 games LD locked for the RED WINGS and played the 3rd game LD locked for the COYOTES:

Attachment 208127

- That game was using EA sliders (there’s only ONE SET BTW) but at 0 speed. Only thing I’ve changed…

Attachment 208128

Attachment 208129

So basically you can tell that the hitting detection is way different in 23 than in 24. These 24 numbers a WAY too HIGH, it makes no sense… On top of this I play on 0 hitting power and 0 Hitting Assist.

Now here’s my list of the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY. This is mainly GAMEPLAY and PRESENTATION for now (This is my views after 3 games, so take it for what it’s worth)

Also, this is not to bash the game. It is constructive criticism as I always wish for the ultimate game of hockey

THE GOOD:

- Graphics are TOP NOTCH ! The lighting and the little details have been enhanced and it shows !

- The arena atmosphere is on another level. Kind of the same that 23 got over 22. The crowd and the music during breaks or before a PP brings the arena to LIFE… A big KUDOS on this EA ! It kind of reminded me when we had custom music in arenas in older NHL games

- The overall sounds and Cheryl Pounder is a great addition to 24.

- I saw different player animations, guys reaching way higher to catch a puck in the air, players scrambling while trying to block a shot and stuff, goalies making desperation saves made up for some great moments.

- I thought the animated boards would be a major distraction, but it was not, so that’s a GOOD thing.

- 2 different replays of the goal that was scored.*

- You now have the TIME to make proper line changes after the whistle.

THE BAD:

- Defensive team play has never been so bad. Like you can see in the stats, it reflects in the gameplay also.

- The Hitting detection… As you can see from the stats also. The leader in hits after a season will have 1246 Hits ???

- There were magnificent Arena Pans in 23. Different views from different areas. Although they were too short IMO, they were great.I didn’t see them in 24 ?

- I play with NOTHING on the screen. I turned all HUD options OFF, why do I see the PASSING ICONS appear when I try to aim my manual pass ?? This needs to go…

- I play on SUPERSTAR level, looked like I was playing on NOVICE level when we took control of the puck in the Ozone !

THE UGLY:

- The PRESSURE SYSTEM ! Where to start It fills up WAY TOO FAST and the players are WAY TOO AFFECTED by it. They get a MAJOR NERF it’s unbelievable ! Players were standing still while I could do whatever we wanted in the zone. If the D team somehow was able to get the puck out, they didn’t even went for a change after being pinned over one or two entire minutes. That led me to come flying in for an easy goal where they looked like unmovable cones…

- The FLOPPING Goalies ! OMG ! In my last game Carter Hart spent most of the game face first on the ice than standing up !

- The HORRIBLE Pressure Guage in the middle of the ice

- The Tunnel of Doom Goal CELLY It’s breaks all kind of immersion and it clearly doesn’t have its place. Period ! In my last game, the Coyotes scored their 9th goal of the game, the player that scored, did a face first sliding on the ice in that tunnel !!! I just don’t get it

That is it for now. I will come back and edit over the next day or so and also post some clips I captured to try and get the best gameplay we can wish for

Peace
Would lowering minutes played from 15 to like 6 or 7min help? SOG and hits be at a more realistic amount. Deciding if I want to buy this weekend or not myself so thank you for your early review on the game thus far.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

https://www.youtube.com/DarthRambo
Old 10-04-2023, 01:10 PM   #54
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Adding to my bad list of my previous review… Unfortunately 😕

- The DUMP action has been nerfed big time… The puck only travels a few feet off the ice and on top of players jumping higher to catch it, it makes it almost impossible for a team to clear the ice on a PK, on top of being incapacitated already as is…

- Defense is NO MORE. You like and enjoy playing a great defensive game ? Better luck next time….

- Only ONE presets of sliders… A One size fits all mentality… EA truly wishes that everyone would play ONLINE with that set of sliders and that’s it.

If you wanna play 3 minutes periods in an Arcade environment you will probably love this game… As it is now, it’s clearly not for me…
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Old 10-04-2023, 01:15 PM   #55
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRambo
Would lowering minutes played from 15 to like 6 or 7min help? SOG and hits be at a more realistic amount. Deciding if I want to buy this weekend or not myself so thank you for your early review on the game thus far.
Of course playing shorter periods would help… Like 4-5 minutes, but that was not my intentions while testing 24. I wanted to compare what I have right now with 23 with the same period length….

That being said, I would never play games that length, it is way too quick for me and I don’t get to actually be immersed in the game I’m playing. Or else it just feels like it’s one game after the other with no real meaning.

Also, it goes to show what kind of gameplay you have if you can have REAL GAME STATS in about 3-4 minutes periods 😳😫
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2023, 01:21 PM   #56
Rookie

SportsGamer89's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthRambo

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Of course it would. Playing on 15 minute periods is an insane amount of time lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »