Home

NHL 24 Impressions

This is a discussion on NHL 24 Impressions within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-04-2023, 09:55 AM   #41
All Star

MizzouRah's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: NHL 24 Impressions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGamer89
Love coming into this thread and seeing mostly positive comments! This is by far the best NHL we got out of the box gameplay wise in years.

The pressure system works really well, not sure why some people find it pointless. I also agree with others stating that the indicator on ice is isn’t as distracting like we would of thought.

Is it perfect? Of course not, but I’m having a ton of fun playing this game so far!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, I'm really liking the pressure system. It has me pushing the puck around the boards much more and cycling to maintain control in the offensive zone.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2023, 10:05 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikester8692
I am using skill stick control scheme.

I also have not found the magic controller combo to successfully dump the puck. A small line appears and it barely goes 5 feet.

Secondly, when trying to slap shot the puck into the offensive zone, only works part of the time. Many times it results in a push shot or half *** wrist shot. Anyone else?
Do you wind up the shot with RS/R3? If you don’t push it back far or move it too fast, then you won’t get anything on it. Should be a quick wind up and then push forward for a hard (but less accurate) slapper.

The RS dump feature was toned down, but I think with the patch they are adding a bit more distance on it because it was toned down a lot. If you hold it and flip more forward it will go a little further, but they def need to add some more to it.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:14 AM   #43
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizzouRah
Yes, I'm really liking the pressure system. It has me pushing the puck around the boards much more and cycling to maintain control in the offensive zone.
This and all the comments about the computer shooting from the point and needing to move the puck around I think has me leading to purchasing. Now the fact I will lose a lot of games using my Flyers not so much LOL
Old 10-04-2023, 10:33 AM   #44
MVP

drae2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by iaxy
Positives:

- Feels sloppier (in a good way)
- There is better positioning by AI controlled skaters
- Board play is more fluid
- The movements are more organic
- It's a good sonic experience
- Cycling the puck feels better
- Wider variety of goals
- Shooting feels snappier
- New True Broadcast Camera
- Some good new animations

Negatives:

- Absolutely hate the new Total control scheme
- The goal celebrations get old literally immediately
- I am missing the back skate control massively (LT) - not only in D but on attack too.
- Ice looks weird on the True Broadcast camera. There is too much light reflection.
- Hitting looks overpowered
- Not a fan of the hitting animations
- The pressure system is absolutely pointless.
- Dislike the circle indicators under skaters. Feels very arcady.
- Menus are still very slow to navigate
- Why can't NHL introduce a push puck forward option for more realistic breakouts and breakaways?

Big negatives:

- It's hyper fast even on 0 speed when playing in True Broadcast camera. This is likely to be a show stopper for me.
- Playing on PS5, graphics seems to have taken a hit somehow. Resolution appears lower. I am definitely seeing less detail on players' jerseys

Like others have said, it feels like a big patch rather than a new game. EA think that they can just recycle content (like they did with EA FC24) and get away with it but people will see through it...
I know I'm in the minority here, but I play with the NHL 94 control system and it's gone. I'm not feeling the new control schemes at all. I'm gonna have to really play this trial all the way thru...but as of right now, this is a no purchase for me.
Old 10-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #45
MVP

Jeffrey99's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:

I also have not found the magic controller combo to successfully dump the puck. A small line appears and it barely goes 5 feet.

Secondly, when trying to slap shot the puck into the offensive zone, only works part of the time. Many times it results in a push shot or half *** wrist shot. Anyone else?
I have same issue. If I'm deep in my zone no matter how long I hold the bumper it barely crosses center ice with the dump. Right now I couldn't ice the puck even if I wanted to.

As for slap shot, I've also noticed same thing. I don't know if it's more strict that it has to be straight as a arrow back or forth or if it's dependent on how close the AI is to you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-04-2023, 10:53 AM   #46
Pro

knich1's Arena

Quote:

You have to completely release L2 before starting your slap shot.
Old 10-04-2023, 11:15 AM   #47
MVP

PernellKarl076's Arena

Keep in mind that this is very early review as I played 3 full games OFFLINE. All with 15 minutes periods. Yes I’m crazy, lol !

To compare apples with apples, what I’ve done is I loaded my sliders from 23 to get a good comparison. Everything is the same, minus the Roster obviously.

I play Player Lock on D, never asking for a pass, Action Camera and on Superstar difficulty. So basically it’s 90% AI playing. Right ?

Here what my Standard End of Game Stats look like on 23 with my Roster and setup:

IMG_0715.jpg

I played first 2 games LD locked for the RED WINGS and played the 3rd game LD locked for the COYOTES:

IMG_0914.jpg

- That game was using EA sliders (there’s only ONE SET BTW) but at 0 speed. Only thing I’ve changed…

IMG_0916.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

😳😳😳

So basically you can tell that the hitting detection is way different in 23 than in 24. These 24 numbers a WAY too HIGH, it makes no sense… On top of this I play on 0 hitting power and 0 Hitting Assist.

Now here’s my list of the GOOD, the BAD and the UGLY. This is mainly GAMEPLAY and PRESENTATION for now (This is my views after 3 games, so take it for what it’s worth)

Also, this is not to bash the game. It is constructive criticism as I always wish for the ultimate game of hockey 😀

THE GOOD:

- Graphics are TOP NOTCH ! The lighting and the little details have been enhanced and it shows !

- The arena atmosphere is on another level. Kind of the same that 23 got over 22. The crowd and the music during breaks or before a PP brings the arena to LIFE… A big KUDOS on this EA ! It kind of reminded me when we had custom music in arenas in older NHL games 😀

- The overall sounds and Cheryl Pounder is a great addition to 24.

- I saw different player animations, guys reaching way higher to catch a puck in the air, players scrambling while trying to block a shot and stuff, goalies making desperation saves made up for some great moments. 😀

- I thought the animated boards would be a major distraction, but it was not, so that’s a GOOD thing.

- 2 different replays of the goal that was scored.*

- You now have the TIME to make proper line changes after the whistle.

THE BAD:

- Defensive team play has never been so bad. Like you can see in the stats, it reflects in the gameplay also.

- The Hitting detection… As you can see from the stats also. The leader in hits after a season will have 1246 Hits ???

- There were magnificent Arena Pans in 23. Different views from different areas. Although they were too short IMO, they were great.I didn’t see them in 24 ?

- I play with NOTHING on the screen. I turned all HUD options OFF, why do I see the PASSING ICONS appear when I try to aim my manual pass ?? This needs to go…

- I play on SUPERSTAR level, looked like I was playing on NOVICE level when we took control of the puck in the Ozone !

THE UGLY:

- The PRESSURE SYSTEM ! Where to start 🤔 It fills up WAY TOO FAST and the players are WAY TOO AFFECTED by it. They get a MAJOR NERF it’s unbelievable ! Players were standing still while I could do whatever we wanted in the zone. If the D team somehow was able to get the puck out, they didn’t even went for a change after being pinned over one or two entire minutes. That led me to come flying in for an easy goal where they looked like unmovable cones…

- The FLOPPING Goalies ! OMG ! In my last game Carter Hart spent most of the game face first on the ice than standing up !

- The HORRIBLE Pressure Guage in the middle of the ice 😳

- The Tunnel of Doom Goal CELLY 😳 It’s breaks all kind of immersion and it clearly doesn’t have its place. Period ! In my last game, the Coyotes scored their 9th goal of the game, the player that scored, did a face first sliding on the ice in that tunnel !!! I just don’t get it 😫

That is it for now. I will come back and edit over the next day or so and also post some clips I captured to try and get the best gameplay we can wish for 😀

Peace ✌️
Follow me on your favourite TUBE (Videos backstories often in my Slider Thread)
Old 10-04-2023, 11:49 AM   #48
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

I've only played 3 Play now games so far so I'm limited based on these results.

Im getting used to the new total controls but i THINK i'm going to like it. I love how they brought back vision passing. Helps so much on breakouts and power plays and I'm no longer screaming to myself THATS NOT WHO I WANTED TO PASS TO! Its really created some great goals for me so far, especially on odd man rushes, I've had some great goal variety. I like the pressure and fatigue system but i feel it needs more fine tuning, i think its too effective and guys tire way too easily, but i think it has great potential. I hate though how the Full pressure TOA red box stays on the screen and it isn't see through. I've lost pucks and been distracted by it because I can't see (I have not looked in the sliders or whatever to see if this is removable). I do not like the after goal celebrations, was nice the first 2 goals, now its just an annoying cut scene. I love the hype of the in game music, especially the songs they added. I get pumped when sandstorm and some other songs begin playing, gets me more immersed. I hate the new female announcer but at least its fresh with new commentary lines.

Im playing on the 10 hr trial and will dig more into sliders and such later today after work. I just don't want to spend my trial time tinkering and rather playing the game to get a good feel. So far i think i like it but haven't decided on a purchase or not yet.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »