Home

Xbox Series (X/S)

This is a discussion on Xbox Series (X/S) within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-07-2024, 11:20 AM   #1193
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Xbox Series (X/S)

Wasn't their hope was to have over 140 million Game Pass subscribers 10 years-in when they started? I know Starfield gave them a bump last year but is it that more serious?

This future business model they're addressing next week is interesting because MS no longer broadcasts subscription numbers so early reports maybe correct about 'slowing down'. What they say or do next week is BIG.

https://gamerant.com/xbox-game-pass-...t-2023-report/
Old 02-08-2024, 02:35 PM   #1194
All Star

allBthere's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestevo
I don't really care, but boy are people freaking out about it.
I saw a really cool video on youtube about Microsoft's strategy. They basically demonstrated that MSoft has already decided to end the console war for every which will actually get rid of all consoles. Just like the Vision pro from apple, the tech isn't really there yet, but it's a glimpse into the future.

As long as computing tech progresses, gamepass will eventually be avaiallbe anywhere from any device. Stadia's failure is just a case of it being too soon.

Consoles loose money on every sale in order to bring consumers into the ecosystem which is money-making. But if your'e ecosystem is hardware agnostic eventually you will just win.

MSoft making games available too all platforms doesn't kill xbox consoles, it kills ALL CONSOLES. Some may like or dislike that it doesn't matter it's already set in motion and simply a matter of time. The era of home console's is coming to an end.

So moving forward the question isn't 'do I like xbox or playstation better?" it's "do I live Gamepass or Playstation Plus better' ...? with bethesda, activision etc... plus the plethora of absolutely 'free' games, that's a hell of a first-mover advantage.
Old 02-08-2024, 06:17 PM   #1195
Greatness Personified

J_Posse's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by allBthere
I saw a really cool video on youtube about Microsoft's strategy. They basically demonstrated that MSoft has already decided to end the console war for every which will actually get rid of all consoles. Just like the Vision pro from apple, the tech isn't really there yet, but it's a glimpse into the future.

As long as computing tech progresses, gamepass will eventually be avaiallbe anywhere from any device. Stadia's failure is just a case of it being too soon.

Consoles loose money on every sale in order to bring consumers into the ecosystem which is money-making. But if your'e ecosystem is hardware agnostic eventually you will just win.

MSoft making games available too all platforms doesn't kill xbox consoles, it kills ALL CONSOLES. Some may like or dislike that it doesn't matter it's already set in motion and simply a matter of time. The era of home console's is coming to an end.

So moving forward the question isn't 'do I like xbox or playstation better?" it's "do I live Gamepass or Playstation Plus better' ...? with bethesda, activision etc... plus the plethora of absolutely 'free' games, that's a hell of a first-mover advantage.
Can you post a link to the video, please?

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Official OS Bills Backers Club Member
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-08-2024, 10:40 PM   #1196
Horror Movie Guru

Dead2009's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:

I mentioned to someone the other day that in a few decades, we're going to have one dedicated console for every developer and publisher. Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, they're all going to be making games for one system that isn't a PC. Microsoft potentially leaving the console market is just the first step.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:48 PM   #1197
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Old 02-12-2024, 10:37 PM   #1198
I can't feel it

Jgainsey's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:

I’m mostly only gaming on PC these days, so I don’t really have a dog in the fight.

That being said, Microsoft losing repeatedly to Sony and overestimating the potential subscription base for gamepass doesn’t kill the console. It may kill Microsoft’s willingness to underwrite an Xbox console years from now, but in the immediate present they are only helping to solidify Sony’s stronghold.

The company that can’t even break out of 3rd isn’t deciding the direction of this industry in any meaningful way as of now. In fact, the higher ups at Microsoft are probably wondering why the hell they’ve invested so much money in Xbox without it moving the needle in their direction in the slightest.

That’s as deep as you need to look into any of this really. They’re spending tens and hundreds of millions of dollars on project after project given all the studios they’ve acquired, and they want them to make a little bit of profit if they can help it. They thought that profit was going to come from runaway gamepass subscriber growth, but it’s stagnant, so they’re going to sell their games a la carte wherever possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2024, 02:26 AM   #1199
MVP

mestevo's Arena

OVR: 33

For quite some time MS has not necessarily cared which plastic box you put under your TV. Last quarter their gaming segment ($7.11b) generated more revenue than Windows ($5.2b). Sony and Nintendo have both pivoted to try and emulate Game Pass in their own ways (with Sony re-pivoting a few times since).

They want you to play their games, and for the better part of a decade, have said quite plainly they want you to play them on your own terms. Their play has long been about the ecosystem as a platform rather than which version of the plastic box defines your ability to consume content.

Access via Switch and Sony's platform in some form will be the next step in that I expect. Doubtful we'll get game streaming or anything, but we'll see.
Old 02-14-2024, 04:44 PM   #1200
Everyday is Faceurary!

dickey1331's Arena

OVR: 31

Having this podcast on a Friday is interesting as that’s usually when corporations give bad news.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
NFL: Dallas Cowboys
NHL: Dallas Stars
NBA: Dallas Mavericks

I own a band check it out

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »