Home

NHL Off-Topic thread

This is a discussion on NHL Off-Topic thread within the Pro Hockey forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 12-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #145
Grayscale

slickdtc's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: NHL Off-Topic thread

I like the breakdown of US players and cities being good or great today, and the league remaining niche.

I think there is a window opening up where kids who grew up when SJ, TB, PHX etc were added to the league are starting to become of age. Some of that wave is here, and it'll keep coming. I do think growing the game in places like Raleigh takes at least 20 years if not more. And I guess to the NHL's credit, they haven't yanked those teams at the first sign of danger. Or millionth, like Phoenix. Maybe that's why they're so stubborn in making sure they stay put. Funny how quickly ATL came and went though...

But yeah, I don't see the NHL overtaking football or baseball. Probably not even basketball as that game seems pretty healthy with LeBron and Curry. If anything, I'd say the NHL closely compared to college sports. I grew up in a small state without a D1 team so college sports never appealed to me. But go to a big college town, and it's #1 over even the NFL or MLB. So the Northeast and Northern US (Minnesota, Michigan) are where hockey is a lot bigger then anywhere else. Hockey is one sport that is mainly season dependent, needing the cold. A good portion of the country doesn't get that weather consistently.

There's just too much working against NHL for it to ever be as big as these more inclusive sports and leagues. As long as that's understood and accounted for, the game can still be healthy. But it'll have limitations that the NFL doesn't. Be smart, the NHL is a business after all. Target those who are most likely to become attached to the game, and grow it smartly elsewhere because you can't just ignore them. But don't plant another team in the desert for crying out loud! Or put two teams in Florida which is notoriously averse to professional sports and holds so many transplants from other places.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
And how does one levy a check that will result in only a slight concussion? Do they set their shoulder-pads to 'stun'?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2015, 03:34 PM   #146
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

OVR: 37

Is there a lower form of life than Alex Burrows?
If you don't think so, you might after reading this:

Patrick O'Sullivan, survivor of herrendous physical and mental abuse from his father tweeted this:
Quote:
Burrows only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did-why I can't stand him.
I can only imagine what he said to Tootoo, but it wouldn't take a genius to guess it probably had something to do with his brother committing suicide.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:37 PM   #147
RF

TheMatrix31's Arena

OVR: 36

Sweet. More advocating for teams to lose on purpose. As if last season wasn't enough of a ****ing embarrassment.
Old 12-19-2015, 11:44 AM   #148

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Old 12-19-2015, 02:30 PM   #149
Rookie

carko32's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money99
LOL, yup.
If you're not going to make the playoffs, you might as well get Austin Matthews.
We all know that the Oilers will find a way to get him. Even if that requires change of lottery so that it includes also playoff teams.
Old 12-19-2015, 04:50 PM   #150
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Okay, this may sound crazy, but I'd love it if the NHL eliminated powerplays in OT.
I'd rather they call a PS if a penalty occurs. The PP almost seems to slow the game down and prevent fans from the awesomeness that is 3-on-3.
Old 12-19-2015, 07:46 PM   #151
MVP

jack1535's Arena

OVR: 3
NHL Off-Topic thread

Rule wise I hope shootouts are done so they bring back ties and more emphasis on obstruction penalties.

I don't believe scoring necessarily has to be higher just a much faster game with less holding and hooking. This would hopefully increase the scoring chances.

I don't think making goalie equipment smaller will do anything. I forgot who it was but an NHL goalie was discussing that equipment adjustments might have the opposite effect on scoring as it would just make goalies faster and more agile. He also said the last goalie equipment change did nothing.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #152
Hall Of Fame

Money99's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack1535
Rule wise I hope shootouts are done so they bring back ties and more emphasis on obstruction penalties.

I don't believe scoring necessarily has to be higher just a much faster game with less holding and hooking. This would hopefully increase the scoring chances.

I don't think making goalie equipment smaller will do anything. I forgot who it was but an NHL goalie was discussing that equipment adjustments might have the opposite effect on scoring as it would just make goalies faster and more agile. He also said the last goalie equipment change did nothing.
I'm not sure I buy that.
First, I've seen plenty of saves where the goalie didn't even see the puck but it hit a peice of the goalies size XXXXL pants or 24" arm pad.
Secondly, the current gear is light as air. If they can't be fast in that now, then they won't be fast in gear that's simply smaller in scale.

Regarding the last changes, they were insignificant because they didn't target the biggest issue which is oversized chest, arm and pant protection.
There are goalies with 30" waists who wear a size 44" pant.
Ryan Miller has 11" arms and yet his arm padding looks like it was fitted for Mr Olympia.

Even if the slimmer upper-body gear doesn't do a thing at the very least it will eliminate one part of the equation.
If shooters still can't get pucks past slim goalies, then we know the next step is to either take 2 skaters off the ice or just make the nets bigger.

But truth be told, I'm somewhat hoping that the goalies will be just as effective with slimmer gear because then it means they're more exciting.
I'm tired of watching boring belly saves over and over.
If goalies become more acrobatic, then so be it. At least we're adding a different element of entertainment to the game.

On a recent radio show, one commentator said that the NHL needs to either add more goals or more fights.
Because in its current state, the game is too bland. The league needs to offer something more for the consumer.
I'd much rather see exciting, clean goals than two Dancing Bears squaring off.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > Pro Hockey »