Home

What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

This is a discussion on What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall? within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 01-08-2024, 12:18 PM   #33
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35
Re: What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
All signs are him coming back. As for the OC Getsy.....unsure. to me, that's the bigger issue. Some of the play calling ha been atrocious.

That complicates things then. If he’s got another year (3yrs seems to be the standard gig length for an NFL coach) then I doubt he will want to develop another young QB when his job is on the line.

If he does indeed stay then I think you trade down and grab a position of need. If you get a new coach then I think you draft a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2024, 12:42 PM   #34
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowerWolf
I didn’t realize Jones made more than $40M a year. QB deals really are absurd.
I just looked up Gino Smith he is making 25 Million a year.
Which is crazy, but Gino's contract feels right.

I think had he been younger he would have pushed for more
money. For him it was about starting and staying somewhere.

Starting QB's get paid..
Old 01-08-2024, 12:46 PM   #35
MVP

adriano's Arena

OVR: 8

I think the Bears sit on Fields and Draft their QB of choice.
Maybe trade down and select their QB. No reason to trade
Fields and no reason not to select a QB they want.

Maybe Penix is a guy they want. We do not know a teams
draft board. If their guy is lower, maybe they trade down.

All I know is they are in a great position, solid defense and
lots of picks and cap space..
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-08-2024, 12:53 PM   #36
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG
That complicates things then. If he’s got another year (3yrs seems to be the standard gig length for an NFL coach) then I doubt he will want to develop another young QB when his job is on the line.

If he does indeed stay then I think you trade down and grab a position of need. If you get a new coach then I think you draft a QB.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That makes a lot of sense. The flip side of the coin is if you get a new OC, you kind of reset a bit as well for Fields as he gets a fresh look at an offensive scheme. If you go new QB, you might as well tear the whole thing back down becsuse you likely lose a lot of good will in the room with guys ready to win sooner rather than later.

I think Washington landing 2 is a big plus for the Bears because if they are able to make nearly the exact same trade as they did last year, there's a decent shot they get a top 3 (at the very least) in next years draft and still walk away this year's draft with Marvin Harrison JR AND a top edge rusher to compliment Sweat at 9. At worst, they create a bidding war between NE and WSH since both need a QB, but I think you go with whoever you deem will have a worse 2024 season, unless another blows you oit of the water.
Old 01-08-2024, 06:09 PM   #37
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

To add my opinion to things: I think the Bears must draft a QB in Round 1 this year with one of their two first-round picks.

There are arguably five quarterbacks in this draft with Round 1 grades: Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are both Top 5 locks, Jayden Daniels might be the consensus third-best guy, then Michael Penix and Bo Nix follow those three in some order (I see Penix dropping a bit mostly due to medical red flags, he's endured several season-ending injuries during his college career).

In the 2025 draft class, however, I have absolutely no idea who the top quarterbacks are. Shedeur Sanders is the only one I can even think of as getting any Round 1 hype right now, and I'd guess that at best he's in the third tier of this current class.

If Fields gets no better than what he is right now — and I might call this likely, as historically the number of NFL quarterbacks who raise their skill floor dramatically after 16 regular-season starts is exceptionally low — then he's not a playoff caliber quarterback, he's holding the roster back, and there's no help coming through the door in next year's draft class. Moreover, the rest of the Bears' roster is getting to the point where the team is too talented to bottom out. I would predict they won't pick Top 5 again for the next few years. The best opportunity to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback is literally right now.

If the Bears are going to make the move to draft a quarterback, they must do it this spring. They can figure out whether to keep Fields later.
Old 01-08-2024, 07:47 PM   #38
Bamma

ProfessaPackMan's Arena

OVR: 36
What Should the Bears Do With the 1st Overall?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keirik
blah blah blah.
Like I already said, it would be in their best interest to just reset the clock altogether especially if you’re not sure if he can be the long term answer and based on the film, process and results I’m not sure how anyone can be confident that he is the answer.

You(?) brought up hiring a new OC and if that’s the case, this would be his 3rd in his 4th year, right?

We’ve all sat here and said/know that young QBs need stability early in their careers and the ones that end up with multiple coordinators/coaches early in their career rarely have much success, so how would this benefit him?

Because if you’re going to go that route, it makes sense to go either the new Qb route. Or you can also do what CM mentioned as well.
Old 01-08-2024, 08:29 PM   #39
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Trade from 1 to 3-5 range and take Jayden Daniels. I'm convinced he's the best qb in this class. Pick up some extra picks and still get the guy

Sent from my SM-G970U using Operation Sports mobile app

Watch me play video games
Old 01-08-2024, 10:51 PM   #40
MVP

Keirik's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
To add my opinion to things: I think the Bears must draft a QB in Round 1 this year with one of their two first-round picks.

There are arguably five quarterbacks in this draft with Round 1 grades: Caleb Williams and Drake Maye are both Top 5 locks, Jayden Daniels might be the consensus third-best guy, then Michael Penix and Bo Nix follow those three in some order (I see Penix dropping a bit mostly due to medical red flags, he's endured several season-ending injuries during his college career).

In the 2025 draft class, however, I have absolutely no idea who the top quarterbacks are. Shedeur Sanders is the only one I can even think of as getting any Round 1 hype right now, and I'd guess that at best he's in the third tier of this current class.

If Fields gets no better than what he is right now — and I might call this likely, as historically the number of NFL quarterbacks who raise their skill floor dramatically after 16 regular-season starts is exceptionally low — then he's not a playoff caliber quarterback, he's holding the roster back, and there's no help coming through the door in next year's draft class. Moreover, the rest of the Bears' roster is getting to the point where the team is too talented to bottom out. I would predict they won't pick Top 5 again for the next few years. The best opportunity to identify and acquire a franchise quarterback is literally right now.

If the Bears are going to make the move to draft a quarterback, they must do it this spring. They can figure out whether to keep Fields later.
I agree with most of this except that Fields is holding the team back, with a caveat. It's very difficult to judge that considering the play calling has been atrocious and they tore down a lot of the team before this year. Plus, he had no line and literally only one legit weapon starting this most recent year.

I'm not even sold on Fields at all, but if you bring another QB in with this same roster, you really aren't moving much of a needle and there really isn't any guarantee for a first overall QB. Since Eli Manning draft in 04, there are only 2 QBs to go 1st overall and win a Super Bowl. Eli and Stafford, annd the latter didn't even win with the team that drafted him. Now, I know that's not a long time and there are recent guys with still good careers ahead, but it's not a sure thing to actually win anything and plenty of lesser QBs have still won championships if surrounded with the right pieces.

It's a very tough decision, at least to me. But I appreciate the opinion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »