Home

MLB Off-Topic

This is a discussion on MLB Off-Topic within the Pro Baseball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-28-2024, 10:37 PM   #19329
Hall Of Fame

Master Live 013's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB Off-Topic

Used to feel that way, by now I have just accepted it.

Regarding the salary, what about the new mode of teams handing out contracts to players with little to no major league experience? For example, Jackson Chourio has 0 MLB plate appearances and was given an 8 year, 82M contract, he wouldn't be eligible under your criteria.
Old 03-28-2024, 11:06 PM   #19330
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

So did MLB not really go back to the old jerseys
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 03-29-2024, 12:17 AM   #19331
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Live 013
Used to feel that way, by now I have just accepted it.

Regarding the salary, what about the new mode of teams handing out contracts to players with little to no major league experience? For example, Jackson Chourio has 0 MLB plate appearances and was given an 8 year, 82M contract, he wouldn't be eligible under your criteria.
It'll be really interesting to watch Chourio's season (and next couple seasons) play out and will more minor leaguers get more big money like Chourio. Probably the criteria should take into account a mix of things where guy who have only ''true'' minor league experience (like Chourio) and players like Yamamoto who comes out of a league that is the major league of their country. What would be great if there were some kind of series that pits the best team the American minor league produces versus the Japanese League champions. Or an all-star minor league series versus a Japanese all-star team. I have to believe the vast majority of the time the Japanese league team will win. I just would like some kind of acknowledgement from the RoY voters that in no way is the Japanese League so much inferior to MLB that it is closer to being a major league than a minor league. There has been a well-deserved push to accept the Negro Leagues of the 1920's-1950's as a major league, I think its also time to recocgnize the talent of Japanese League baseball as well, as at the very least being superior to Triple A, Double A American baseball.
#44Syracuse
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 04:03 AM   #19332
All Star

DrJones's Arena

OVR: 20

You think this is bad, consider what the NHL used to do.

1990: 31-year-old Sergei Makarov wins the Calder Trophy (Rookie of the Year) with 86 points in 80 games. Makarov had already played 13 seasons in the Soviet league, had won numerous World Championships and Olympic golds, held his own against the elite Canadian talent of the era. Clearly a top 5-10 player in the world during the 1980s.

1980: 18-year-old Wayne Gretzky, despite tying for the league lead in scoring with 137 points in 79 games, DOES NOT win Rookie of the Year.

How did this happen? Gretzky played his age-17 season in a short-lived rival North American league, the WHA (if you're not familiar with hockey, think the USFL). The NHL considered the WHA to be a professional league (and a threat), therefore Gretzky was deemed ineligible. The NHL did NOT consider the Soviet League to be professional (although the top Soviet League team, CSKA Moscow - commonly referred to as the Red Army - would absolutely have been a top Stanley Cup contender had it played in the NHL).

There were reasons for this. The Russians basically rigged their league (players were paid indirectly through corporations instead of directly through their teams) to be considered amateur so that they could send their best players to the World Championships and Olympics. ("Professional" (ie, NHL) players were banned from the World Championships until 1977 and the Olympics until 1988).

Needless to say, people were so upset at the absurdity of Makarov being considered a "rookie" that an age limit (under 26) was imposed for rookie eligibility soon afterward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickdtc
DrJones brings the stinky cheese is what we've all learned from this debacle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipnis22
yes your fantasy world when your proven wrong about 95% of your post
Old 03-29-2024, 06:47 AM   #19333
NL MVP

Sportsforever's Arena

OVR: 23

This conversation is bringing up old wounds from Hideo Nomo winning ROY in 1995 over Chipper…

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-29-2024, 10:34 AM   #19334
MVP

Madden08PCgmr's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Not entirely sure, but the player nameplates look rediculous

They look like the 3rd rate printed NFL jerseys
Old 03-29-2024, 12:57 PM   #19335
Keep the Faith

TripleCrown9's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy
Of course not. Both parties refuse to take any blame.

Fanatics has said they did exactly what they were asked.

Nike said they told Fanatics what they wanted so they don't know why the product is bad.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-29-2024, 02:08 PM   #19336

Majingir's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleCrown9
Of course not. Both parties refuse to take any blame.

Fanatics has said they did exactly what they were asked.

Nike said they told Fanatics what they wanted so they don't know why the product is bad.
I could see both being right.

Fanatics did what Nike said, but what if Nike cheaped out on the budget so Fanatics did what they could with a smaller budget (or maybe a rushed deadline)?

Not unheard of in any business where a lower budget or shorter timeline leads to poorer quality.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > Pro Baseball »