Home

The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent

This is a discussion on The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-19-2022, 11:03 AM   #41
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
To be clear, I wasn’t the guy who posted the tweets.

My reply wasn’t about your opinions and/or you expressing them. It’s that you created a thread about how you’d get into arguments and then carry some of that with you into your real life, no? No judgment from me on that, we’ve all been there and it’s important to realize it and be able to take a step back and clear your head.

I just found it funny that your tweets are the opposite of everything you’ve said in this thread. Maybe your stuff was “worse” before, meaning purposely being inflammatory and getting into arguments, etc. I don’t know. But it undermines the thread’s original point of ‘this is an issue I’m having, and this is how I’m overcoming it’ if you’re not actually doing that.
Well you were right, kinda. I still probably post things on Twitter that "don't brighten anyones day" so 100% the original poster was right on that.

However, maybe I didn't explain well enough but my problem with social media is that, for me, I get dragged into arguments that become vicious.

Posting something that maybe a lot of folks don't like is not ideal, in fact it does run against what I said, but for me I still have strong opinions and I still am going to put those forth.

I will not however, get into a back and forth with people to justify my opinions.

This is what I have learned from my therapist, you are entitled to your opinion, share it if you like, but don't try to justify it. You don't owe anyone anything (and now even here in this reply I'm violating that by explaining my tweets, lol, can't win for losing right?)

I will say, I don't go for "wins" against other people anymore, like the person who posted my hypocritical Tweets. I'm not sure what a "win" does, or as they say in gaming "owning someone" does other than maybe boost up someone's ego by tearing another person down a bit so I try not to do that, and in my view that is what is happening here.

I view at as a natural thing that likely was to happen, I knew this when I posted. However that doesn't mean it should happen. All too often the message gets muddied because people become personal.

This is a common issue here at OS I see when people start, for example, discussing Madden. The issue one begins to speak about in regards to the game will be refuted by someone else and then it becomes a contest between those two people to "win the argument" rather than really discuss the issue about the game.

I am not sure what the posts about my Twitter feed accomplished other than to show that ODogg (me) is not fully adhering to what I posted. Or that maybe ODogg (me) is a hypocritical person who says one thing and does another (true, but also true of just about everyone when put under a microscope)

Does it really matter that I posted something contrary to what my initial post said? Maybe it does, but not really for any other reason than to show how difficult it can be to change ones self.

So if you all want to say "ODogg is a hypocritical mf'er, look at his Twitter posts" then yeah, I guess you guys "got me"....guilty as charged. I did post things that are not going to make anyone's day better.

I have to do better. And will continue to do better. (I am not speaking to those tweets that were posted though, I consider those partisan but not tweets that should not have been posted, however I have posted other things on Twitter that I would like to take back so...)

But now that we've established I'm not perfect and, like many people, can sometimes not do what i set out to do, could we resume the general discussion of the overall issue?

And just know that while I accept the criticism, I will not do this to anyone else because this ain't about one person, this is about everyone who uses social media.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-19-2022, 11:05 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashMan
To be clear, I wasn’t the guy who posted the tweets.

My reply wasn’t about your opinions and/or you expressing them. It’s that you created a thread about how you’d get into arguments and then carry some of that with you into your real life, no? No judgment from me on that, we’ve all been there and it’s important to realize it and be able to take a step back and clear your head.

I just found it funny that your tweets are the opposite of everything you’ve said in this thread. Maybe your stuff was “worse” before, meaning purposely being inflammatory and getting into arguments, etc. I don’t know. But it undermines the thread’s original point of ‘this is an issue I’m having, and this is how I’m overcoming it’ if you’re not actually doing that.
I should also add that most of my issues were with arguing on Facebook. Twitter, for me anyways, is mostly talking to public officials or companies. And yes I call out people I don't like on there that are public figures.

Big difference though, in my view anyways, from going after an elected official for their policies as opposed to attacking a user about a personal opinion.

But just my view, I know some people may view going after elected officials or companies as being ill advised as well.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

Old 10-19-2022, 04:37 PM   #43
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I should also add that most of my issues were with arguing on Facebook. Twitter, for me anyways, is mostly talking to public officials or companies. And yes I call out people I don't like on there that are public figures.

Big difference though, in my view anyways, from going after an elected official for their policies as opposed to attacking a user about a personal opinion.

But just my view, I know some people may view going after elected officials or companies as being ill advised as well.
Aren't a politician's policies a reflection of their personal opinion?

Watch me play video games
Old 10-19-2022, 05:37 PM   #44
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jr.
Aren't a politician's policies a reflection of their personal opinion?
Well a good leader makes decisions independent at times, for sure, no leader should be poll driven...but the majority of the time an elected official should be trying to put forth the views of whom put him or her in office.

But whether or not it's their opinion is largely irrelevant in my view because they are elected and should be given feedback, both good and bad, by the public.

Anyways, enuff with the political talk, this can get us in trouble, LOL.. I will not be commenting any further in this particular direction..

Old 10-20-2022, 03:10 PM   #45
Pro

tarheelguy4736's Arena

OVR: 4

If anyone has Peacock, I suggest you go watch the documentary "I Love You, You Hate Me". Its about the rise of Barney and how the character became hated by so many people while only being a kids show. To me, this is where you can see social media start to influence people's behavior because of sites created at that time towards the hate they had for the show.

Its only 2 episodes but it is definitely fascinating, especially if you were born in the late 80's or a little before that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2022, 12:13 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736
If anyone has Peacock, I suggest you go watch the documentary "I Love You, You Hate Me". Its about the rise of Barney and how the character became hated by so many people while only being a kids show. To me, this is where you can see social media start to influence people's behavior because of sites created at that time towards the hate they had for the show.

Its only 2 episodes but it is definitely fascinating, especially if you were born in the late 80's or a little before that.
wow, nice find, I'm going to watch this today, thanks for posting

Old 07-13-2023, 09:55 AM   #47
#Ace

Speedy's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelguy4736

Interesting.

Barney was definitely a laughing stock when I was kid.

I remember having the thought Mr. Rogers was dumb, too.
It's hard though...especially when I got my neighbor playing their franchise across the street...maybe I will occupy myself with Glamore Magazine.
Old 07-13-2023, 10:11 AM   #48
MVP

Gramps91's Arena

OVR: 22

I started Kindergarten in 1997 and it was definitely the cool thing to do to hate on Barney

I've always liked Mr. Rogers.

I still have Facebook and Instagram but I rarely post anything. I like Instagram just for the memes and videos

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »