Home

The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent

This is a discussion on The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent within the OS Neighborhood forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-26-2022, 03:43 PM   #25
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: The damage that online social media can do to you is becoming apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger
I just check out IG for the hot influencer chicks and to laugh at how they all do the same stuff.
Yea and having a stepdaughter. They wanna do that same ****. Because it's cool and trending. I hate it. Kids twerking and **** is not cool.

Nobody ever talks about it. But these platforms knowingly have sexualized kids. They've played their part in it. These location sharing services should be illegal. It's gotten people raped killed robbed . You name it.

I hate sounding like this. I sound like a Karen. But people in general are not mature enough for these sites. Kids sure as hell aren't. And I don't want to be a hypocrite because I did the Facebook MySpace **** too. But I hate it. I hate all of it

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-27-2022, 02:14 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamnYanks2
Yea and having a stepdaughter. They wanna do that same ****. Because it's cool and trending. I hate it. Kids twerking and **** is not cool.

Nobody ever talks about it. But these platforms knowingly have sexualized kids. They've played their part in it. These location sharing services should be illegal. It's gotten people raped killed robbed . You name it.

I hate sounding like this. I sound like a Karen. But people in general are not mature enough for these sites. Kids sure as hell aren't. And I don't want to be a hypocrite because I did the Facebook MySpace **** too. But I hate it. I hate all of it

Well I 100% support your view. Social media is what ended up costing us our foster license because we handled it in a way that the foster care CPS people did not like (taking away her smart phone and giving her a phone that only texts and calls).

Her therapist supported us in doing what we did but when we had our day in court she did not show up, and ignored our subpoena and so we are no longer foster parents.

It was, at that time, my first realization that yes it's true, social media is ruining children. At that point I didn't see the effect it had on me but now I do.

Stay strong, don't let your children bully you or beg you into letting them get Snapchat and those other apps which young kids, esp girls, use to put out nasty pics of themselves, or use it to hook up with people.

It's unfortunate that not every place like Facebook and such can be monitored as well as Operation Sports is but it's just the reality I guess.

The conundrum is now social media is how a lot of folks communicate and I've even heard jobs asking about your social media so they can "get to know you better", which btw is a definite reason to limit what you post on there if there ever was one.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-27-2022, 04:52 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

DamnYanks2's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Well I 100% support your view. Social media is what ended up costing us our foster license because we handled it in a way that the foster care CPS people did not like (taking away her smart phone and giving her a phone that only texts and calls).

Her therapist supported us in doing what we did but when we had our day in court she did not show up, and ignored our subpoena and so we are no longer foster parents. I'm sure you aren't Odogg. But it's not talked about enough.

It was, at that time, my first realization that yes it's true, social media is ruining children. At that point I didn't see the effect it had on me but now I do.

Stay strong, don't let your children bully you or beg you into letting them get Snapchat and those other apps which young kids, esp girls, use to put out nasty pics of themselves, or use it to hook up with people.

It's unfortunate that not every place like Facebook and such can be monitored as well as Operation Sports is but it's just the reality I guess.

The conundrum is now social media is how a lot of folks communicate and I've even heard jobs asking about your social media so they can "get to know you better", which btw is a definite reason to limit what you post on there if there ever was one.
Don't even get me started on CPS. Evil, corrupt organization. Nobody monitors them, they have infinite power. They should be disbanded immediately. Unless it's absolutely high risk activity where the child is in serious danger. That kid is better off with his or her parents every time.

I look at them like a trafficking ring. I know that's strong, but they can go **** themselves. Alot of these foster care parents are monsters. I'm sure you're not Odogg but its really a mess that doesn't get talked about enough.

And don't get get me wrong. There are some social workers that are in it for all the right reasons. But they don't know what they are a part of.

Last edited by DamnYanks2; 09-27-2022 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-27-2022, 07:17 PM   #28
MVP

bigbob's Arena

OVR: 28

Quote:

Her therapist supported us in doing what we did but when we had our day in court she did not show up, and ignored our subpoena and so we are no longer foster parents.
It's always interesting to see how other localities/states handle foster care. All of the foster care workers at my previous county had entire drawers dedicated to cell phones that they took from the kids that ended up on on their caseload, all taken from them because they clearly couldn't handle having one.

Foster parents always asked if they were allowed to take away cell phones and the foster care workers were like, hell yeah.. just don't hit the kid or use any kind of physical discipline. When I removed a kid, I used to take the kids cell phone once I got them to the house and gave it to whoever their worker would be for them to decide what to do with it.

Sent from my SM-N986U1 using Tapatalk

Have you ever wanted to coach or play basketball at the next level, but something prevented you from achieving that dream? Fret no more. Ask me about SimWorld Hoops to see how you can create your virtual self, and follow your path from the prep-level to the pros.

#SeeTheGameBeTheGame
Old 09-28-2022, 02:06 AM   #29
Hall Of Fame

l3ulvl's Arena

OVR: 26

It's been 30 years since Rodney King said "can't we all just get along?"

we still JOKE about it

it's so sad, there's more hate now than ever
Old 09-28-2022, 02:52 PM   #30
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

CPS just wants adults who will give foster kids a place to sleep and eat and let them do what they gonna do, in other words, you're not a foster parent, you're a foster babysitter.

Every single time we tried to parent, ie set down rules, give life lessons, discipline (for example taking away the phone) CPS in our county gave pushback.

We met with local foster families earlier on and they warned us to never go against them but we felt, foolishly, if we followed the rules and did the right thing that we would prevail.

It is true that no one oversees CPS and they do have unlimited power. I had no idea. And you guys know how I am, I wrote everyone, the media, I tweeted to reporters, I went to the state of Ohio AG, I wrote the governor, state reps, state senators, you name it I tried it and no one was interested in even listening to general issues in the system that we had identified.

It is, in my view, the most messed up system we have in the United States and no one gives a care about it because I guess there's no benefit for them in money or power to change CPS.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-28-2022, 03:15 PM   #31
Expletive Deleted

Ghost Of The Year's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
CPS just wants adults who will give foster kids a place to sleep and eat and let them do what they gonna do, in other words, you're not a foster parent, you're a foster babysitter.

Every single time we tried to parent, ie set down rules, give life lessons, discipline (for example taking away the phone) CPS in our county gave pushback.

We met with local foster families earlier on and they warned us to never go against them but we felt, foolishly, if we followed the rules and did the right thing that we would prevail.

It is true that no one oversees CPS and they do have unlimited power. I had no idea. And you guys know how I am, I wrote everyone, the media, I tweeted to reporters, I went to the state of Ohio AG, I wrote the governor, state reps, state senators, you name it I tried it and no one was interested in even listening to general issues in the system that we had identified.

It is, in my view, the most messed up system we have in the United States and no one gives a care about it because I guess there's no benefit for them in money or power to change CPS.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #32
Most Valuable Pepe

baumy300's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ulvl
It's been 30 years since Rodney King said "can't we all just get along?"

we still JOKE about it

it's so sad, there's more hate now than ever

You know that's not an accident, right? A divided, paranoid, and fearful population is easier to manipulate and control. Read some history books. This has been talked about and implemented throughout history around the world by many major nations/leaders. With all the focus on each other, we have less time and desire to shine light upon real issues. If you want to be an optimist, people are slowly waking up though. We can only do this together, but it won't be easy or swift.

t. Masters in History student

It makes me sad
I post the frog

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > OS Neighborhood »