Home

Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

This is a discussion on Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-19-2023, 11:17 AM   #41
Rookie

rd1981's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

I got the Dreamcast when it dropped my senior year in high school, so I'm sure it had NFL 2K, I just don't remember playing it. Then I went into the Army just as 2K1 was released, so I wouldn've have gotten it that year. Its crazy how short the Dreamcast lifespan was. But I definitely remember having 2K2 and 2K3 on the original Xbox. We use to play 2K in the barracks. I cant remember the specifics, but I just know the game was fun. I think this is around the time it eclipsed Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-19-2023, 09:59 PM   #42
MVP

simbayless's Arena

OVR: 2

I played NFL 2k on the Dreamcast after school every day heavy and I even beg mama to get dialup internet 😂😂😂
Old 06-02-2023, 06:10 AM   #43
Just started!

benrlego's Arena

My first one was 2k4 with Warren Sapp on the cover. I had been a Madden fan for years, especially loved 2003 and was into 2004, but then I rented NFL 2k4 at a gas station and it took maybe 5 minutes to realize it was superior to Madden. Played that game non-stop for months, it was the best game ever. Had my own sliders, rosters, and played a ton of franchises.

That was on PS2. Got 2k5 later and didn’t like it nearly as much. Graphics and presentation were better, but gameplay was lacking and a lot of glitches on the PS2 system. I kept playing 2k4 instead. Then I got a 360 and lo and behold you couldn’t play 2k4 on it. This inspired me to go pick up 2k2 and 2k3, which did play on the 360.

2k2 is a cool game, but felt outdated big time. Got into 2k3 with Brian Urlacher on the cover, and man was that game tough. Incredibly addictive game, very realistic with a good level of challenge. You have to know football to play this game. I would say it’s more realistic than the later games. I still think the one with Warren Sapp is better, more features in that game with a better franchise mode.

I strongly recommend everyone to try 2k3, you’d be surprised how good the game is. Plays great on a computer using the Dolphin emulator too (and probably PCSX2). All of those old Sega Sports games are classics. Even NCAA I thought wasn’t too bad, the one with Crouch is basically just NFL 2k2 with NCAA teams and ESPN presentation. Not a great game, but it is neat to play and you import the draft classes to NFL 2k3. If they had kept making those, they would’ve overtaken EA’s games for sure.
Old 06-02-2023, 10:54 AM   #44
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by benrlego
I strongly recommend everyone to try 2k3, you’d be surprised how good the game is. Plays great on a computer using the Dolphin emulator too (and probably PCSX2). All of those old Sega Sports games are classics. Even NCAA I thought wasn’t too bad, the one with Crouch is basically just NFL 2k2 with NCAA teams and ESPN presentation. Not a great game, but it is neat to play and you import the draft classes to NFL 2k3. If they had kept making those, they would’ve overtaken EA’s games for sure.
2K3, like 2K2 before it, still didn't feel like it had 360 degrees of running motion. It almost felt like you could only run in the eight compass directions (not actually true at all, just the feeling of running), and that you could turn on a dime without consequence. No momentum to the running, tackling, etc. Everything was still very fast and flamboyant in that way. The pocket protection was also very linear, and there wasn't any gang-tackling.

I think 2K4 bringing all of these things in was a huge bonus, and they improved on the camera and playcalling system. Throw in all of the ESPN-isms it had, and you had a whole reinvented game. I still remember the demo disc that OXM and PlayStation Magazine had for this title. It was incredible playing on Lincoln Financial Field for the first time, and wow were the changes staggering!

Granted, 2K3 brought in sliders and was the first time we had ESPN integration. I got lost in that game as well. I just think the overhaul came with ESPN NFL Football, and for the better.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 09-21-2023, 12:24 PM   #45
Rookie

Absolutely, I have played every NFL 2K since launch. While 2K-2K3 are very well curated games for their time. 2K4 and 2K5 were the teams most complete work. The earlier versions were a representation of where 2KSports was at the time. A smaller game company capitalizing on the lack of simulation in sports titles. At a $19.99 price point you could expect quite a lack of depth in the game modes. The gameplay was still ahead of its time it just did not have tenure like the Madden NFL series. Franchise mode was a bit shallow and it was more of a pick up and play game at first.

Fast forward to NFL 2K4 (ESPN Football) and ESPN NFL 2K5 were they started to gain traction as a company. Game modes were perfected, broadcast was pushed to its limits, and gameplay was the best we had seen. Thats why people lean towards 2K4 & 2K5.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2023, 08:24 PM   #46
Just started!

Ayla658's Arena

Yes, there were several NFL 2K games released before 2K4, including:

NFL 2K (1999)
NFL 2K1 (2000)
NFL 2K2 (2001)
NFL 2K3 (2002)

My bro did play 2k3 version and it was fun back then as well..

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »