Home

Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

This is a discussion on Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 08-08-2022, 03:00 PM   #33
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

We bought our Dreamcast for NFL 2k.

I've played every game in the series and loved the hell out of all of them.
Old 09-05-2022, 10:57 AM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 0

I go back even further to the roots of the series on the Sega Genesis, I ****ing loved NFL 95 so much, it blew Madden 95 away. I would piss my little brothers off because I would spend hours just editing rosters and simulating seasons not even playing the actual game.

When NFL 2K came out I had a friend that got it and the Dreamcast, 1999 can't be understated how mind blowing that game was that Fall.

We got a PS2 for Christmas 2001 and didn't have enough money to really get any new PS2 games, we got a few bargain bin PS1 games to play and NFL 2K2 was only $20 so we got that and I loved it. The difficulty was my only issue I always had with 2K, 2K1, 2K2, on the regular difficulty the AI was mind numbing stupid and the game was way too easy, but if you bumped it up to the next setting the AI was cheap and the game was way too hard. I feel like the Madden games from that era were a little more balanced in that area.
Old 11-05-2022, 03:24 PM   #35
Rookie

OVR: 2

NFL 2k3 had a franchise glitch similar to this year's Madden. Going into season 5, during the first game, after one team ended their first possession, the following kickoff or punt to the other team would crash the whole season.I was never able to get past that.

With no patches back then, it was just "welp... let's start over with a different team".

Anyone else run into this peculiar franchise-ending bug? I hit it many times.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-05-2022, 04:12 PM   #36
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkheath
NFL 2k3 had a franchise glitch similar to this year's Madden. Going into season 5, during the first game, after one team ended their first possession, the following kickoff or punt to the other team would crash the whole season.I was never able to get past that.

With no patches back then, it was just "welp... let's start over with a different team".

Anyone else run into this peculiar franchise-ending bug? I hit it many times.
Something similar happened to me in ESPN NFL 2K5. After kickoff, once the playcall screen tried to pop up, the game would freeze.

Check this out: https://forums.operationsports.com/f...need-help.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blzer
Start up with a new playbook. At least, that's what happened to me... except it froze after kickoff.

Now, as the Chargers, every time I fire up the game, I have to load up my playbook, which is actually the Eagles' playbook (I'm used to it because I was them for 2K4).
I don't know if 2K3 had different playbooks though.

An alternative solution, if I recall, is that in the substitution menu (not depth chart, but where you can change players by package) I believe what was happening was some player wouldn't be properly assigned to some offensive scheme or something like that. I honestly can't remember that far back.

World Series Baseball 2K3 had a freeze for me in Year 2 of my Braves franchise where I couldn't get past a certain game, and if I recall correctly I couldn't have two franchises at once so I had to start over before diagnosing another potential roster issue that that game may have been experiencing.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60
Old 01-30-2023, 12:36 PM   #37
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

yeah, i played them all. by the year 2000, madden had gotten into such a sorry state, that was i always looking for a more realistic football game. Gameday 97 and 98 were totally superior to madden, but 99+ started getting a little wonky. The first time i played nfl 2k, i saw something totally different than any other football game i had played, especially Madden. the players were unique, and they were doing their own thing, they weren’t ‘tethered’ by anything and ‘tethered’ to anyone else the way CBs have been tethered to WRs for the entire existence of madden (until recently, madden 23 has finally removed a lot of the tethering, actually, and is finally a decent game). the oline blocking properly and realistically. the player movements just looked more realistic than madden or gameday at the time. Madden, up until that point and for many years to come, players always looked like they were midgets running on skates. their animation never matched actual ‘locomotion’. madden always looked like a cartoon to me. even the original 2k just animated so much better than any madden.

but, the one play that i saw in 2k that just absolutely sold me on the game was a pass to WR who was on the outside, but, broke in front of the safety to make the catch. it wasn’t the wr movement that amazed me, it was the fact that the safety thought he was going to get an int, so he jumped in the air and animated a catch animation, but because the wr broke in front of him, and caught it, the safety was just, now, in a bad position, and i think the wr took it to the house. after years of playing madden and the wr/db tethering, this was the most realistic thing i had ever seen in an nfl video game!!! lol. it seems so simple, so pure, but this single play, this single animation and the fact that it never happened in a madden game until maybe madden 21, 22, is all u need to know/understand about the difference in those games in terms of ‘simulation style’ or ‘realistic’ game. and, why i stopped buying madden during the 2k years, and was so destroyed by the whole exclusive license thing a few years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-31-2023, 05:17 PM   #38
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JULIANCROSSTITAN
A lot of people have played either 2K4 or 2K5. But what about the 2K games before? Have you ever played NFL 2K, 2K1, 2K2, and/or 2K3 before?
I played them all. NFL 2k was elite. The issue was, the franchise mode was seriously lacking compared to EA. EA was superior in terms of franchise modes. For both College Football and NFL. That said, NFL 2k5 franchise mode was neck and neck with Madden 05. The game play was superior.
Old 02-01-2023, 07:34 PM   #39
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinobimusashi
I go back even further to the roots of the series on the Sega Genesis, I ****ing loved NFL 95 so much, it blew Madden 95 away. I would piss my little brothers off because I would spend hours just editing rosters and simulating seasons not even playing the actual game.

When NFL 2K came out I had a friend that got it and the Dreamcast, 1999 can't be understated how mind blowing that game was that Fall.

We got a PS2 for Christmas 2001 and didn't have enough money to really get any new PS2 games, we got a few bargain bin PS1 games to play and NFL 2K2 was only $20 so we got that and I loved it. The difficulty was my only issue I always had with 2K, 2K1, 2K2, on the regular difficulty the AI was mind numbing stupid and the game was way too easy, but if you bumped it up to the next setting the AI was cheap and the game was way too hard. I feel like the Madden games from that era were a little more balanced in that area.
Man I'm so glad I'm not the only one who was frustrated by that difficulty ramp.
Old 03-17-2023, 05:28 PM   #40
Rookie

I like this thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »