Home

Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

This is a discussion on Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4? within the NFL 2K forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 05-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #9
Moderator/Writer

PVarck31's Arena

OVR: 46
Re: Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

Got the Dreamcast on day one, and played the first one up until 2K5. Release day purchase every year.
Old 05-17-2022, 08:21 PM   #10
MVP

Mos1ted's Arena

OVR: 21

My best friend in high school owned a Dreamcast--I graduated in 2001--so I was able to play NFL 2K and 2K1 at his house., along with NBA 2K and 2K1. It wasn't until 2K3 that I was able to own an NFL 2K. By that time, 2K was available on consoles other than the Dreamcast. (I had a PS2.)

The first time I saw 2K3 in action was when I was visiting an EB Games store. It was playing on one of their displays. I was blown away by its TV style presentation, not knowing that it would be surpassed with 2K5. I could not leave the store without buying that game.

Being able to play the series whenever I wanted instead of having to go to a friend's house made me truly appreciate the series (along with NBA 2K). I still bought Madden and NCAA too, so I had different football options depending on my mood. I miss those days.
Old 05-18-2022, 04:37 AM   #11
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16

Still got them , still play them. I know many didn't care for the 2K NCAA games , but I like them.

2K football by Joe D, on Flickr
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-18-2022, 11:59 AM   #12
Banned

OVR: 0

I came to the Dreamcast late, but bought it specifically for NFL2K1. I didn’t move on to other consoles until the GameCube got 2K3.

FWIW, I felt like this was an acceptable dipping of my toes into the kiddie football games. I put up with the complete lack of sim quality gameplay because it looked so good. I chose a GameCube over the Xbox because my kid had just gotten old enough to play games.

I mean, I had to get over the fact that kids were calling a game a sim, while using a controller to do spins. The leagues I had been running had custom plays and playbooks, as well as rosters. But 2K was fun in a “dressed up TECMO for adults” kind of way.

But then, I escaped Madden and console football for FBPro. And while 2K was better than Madden, it was always odd to see folks revere it so much as sim, even with 2K5 on the Xbox. Loved playing it, and ran leagues. Never ever felt sim, to me.

It’s why I found it easy to enjoy Madden once it really started to improve around Madden 15. I was never looking for a sim, but just a fun “dressed up TECMO for adults.” It’s why a next gen version of 2K8, with current and past stars sounds like an awesome game, to me.

I loved 2K, and was pretty bitter at EA, but it never made me pretend 2K was ever more than it was. It was my third most played football franchise, behind FBPro and Madden (with this recent run of games). But it’s ahead of the text based games like Action PC Football.
Old 05-19-2022, 09:17 AM   #13
MVP

49UNCFan's Arena

OVR: 2

1st Day Dreamcast. 1st Day for NFL and NBA 2k with the VMU

Subscribe and Follow! Thanks!
Old 05-19-2022, 10:52 AM   #14
All Star

TarHeelPhenom's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD
Still got them , still play them. I know many didn't care for the 2K NCAA games , but I like them.

2K football by Joe D, on Flickr
I never got a chance to play the college game with Drew on the cover; but the one with Eric Crouch was rough. It's cool that you were able to enjoy it.
Old 05-21-2022, 09:04 PM   #15
MVP

OVR: 3
Anyone played any NFL 2K game before 2K4?

I used to get a magazine (yikes) called Next Generation. One issue, it had a preview of the 2k football game coming to PS2 for the 1st time. I think Brian Urlacher was on the cover. It showed a picture Jerry Rice but didn’t identify him. The caption noted you tell who the player was just by looking at the face. I was impressed because Madden players were pretty generic. I’m in a video store (yikes again) and I see the game. I thought I’d rent it but planned to get Madden no matter what.

I’m playing as the Packers & see Favre turn his head while he’s at the line and then planted his foot on drop backs. That alone impressed me. The throwing felt so sharp. Every player felt like there was weight. I was loving the game. I took it back and was going to pick up Madden the next week. It was tradition. I decided at the last second to get 2k. It felt so weird but man it was the most fun I’d had in a while. Didn’t buy another Madden until 2015.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by jmarcguy; 06-12-2022 at 08:55 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-22-2022, 11:01 PM   #16
Resident film pundit

Blzer's Arena

OVR: 55

I played the **** out of 2K2 when I got it on PS2 for Christmas that year. I remember creating myself as a receiver and just obliterating the competition. I loved that SEGA Sports presentation as well.

I believe that it was in 2K3 when they introduced sliders, however. That was the first time in sports video gaming that I learned to play for "realism." I don't remember how good of sliders I was able to cook up, but joining OS later helped for that, especially when 2K4 came around. Putting ESPN in the game was super awesome. Seeing APF 2K8 without the ESPN license was disheartening.
Samsung PN60F8500 PDP / Anthem MRX 720 / Klipsch RC-62 II / Klipsch RF-82 II (x2) / Insignia NS-B2111 (x2) / SVS PC13-Ultra / SVS SB-2000 / Sony MDR-7506 Professional / Audio-Technica ATH-R70x / Sony PS3 & PS4 / DirecTV HR44-500 / DarbeeVision DVP-5000 / Panamax M5400-PM / Elgato HD60

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K »