Home

Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

This is a discussion on Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #1
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61
Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

What's good family ?

Just wanted to check in to see what the real hoop heads consensus was concerning rebounding in 2K13 and what you think should be done to improve it.

In general is the rebounding better than 2k12 and if so how, Same thing for if it is worse in your opinion. I am talking everything from rebounding controls to stats in the sim engine.

I have heard reports all over the board from good to terrible. What say ye ?
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
What's good family ?

Just wanted to check in to see what the real hoop heads consensus was concerning rebounding in 2K13 and what you think should be done to improve it.

In general is the rebounding better than 2k12 and if so how, Same thing for if it is worse in your opinion. I am talking everything from rebounding controls to stats in the sim engine.

I have heard reports all over the board from good to terrible. What say ye ?
Rebounding in 2K13 is atrocious, it's confuses me on how someone with high rated rebounding attributes grab 2-4 boards on 5 Min Quarters.
Old 04-16-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21
Re: Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

I play Association with custom roster and sliders, so the fact that my positive results (solid in game stats / solid sim stats / decent level of "control" over player in game / etc) are prob influenced by those customizations...

The only thing that really stands out and bugs me is the few to handful of times per game that either offence gets locked into a 3 OREB / Volleyball looking series of animations that usually result in a made basket...

Otherwise:

All the L2 / box out stuff works pretty well...

Overall, a very solid effort by 2k, IMHO...
Old 04-16-2013, 12:45 PM   #4
MVP

blues rocker's Arena

OVR: 14

the rebounding is pretty bad in my opinion, for various reasons.

the main problem i have with the rebounding is that my AI teammates are just stupid when it comes to going after rebounds. they fail to box out, even when they are in position. they fail to go after the ball even when they are the closest player to it...just allowing an opposing player to run past them and grab it while they stand still or jump way too late. The rebounding really seems skewed in favor of your opponent at times. I have also seen multiple situations where a CPU player runs up from behind and physically nudges my player aside in mid air, when my player was in position to grab it...to me this should be over-the-back, but in many cases the CPU player isn't called for it. So, there is not a consistent philosophy behind the rebounding right now. The rules seem to change throughout the game...over the course of a game, sometimes the rebounding seems fair, sometimes it's cheesy as hell. i don't know if it's random, or if the game starts pulling these tricks when it wants certain things to happen.

It's most obvious when a shot goes up and you have like 4 players surrounding the hoop, no opposing players in the paint....but somehow one CPU guy flies in from the perimeter, nudges all of your players aside and snatches the rebound over all of them...meanwhile none of your players boxed him out or even knocked him back with incidental contact...and the ones that did bother to jump jumped way too slow or too late...it's during these situations that you really start to wonder if something fishy is going on.

It could also be 2k's way of differentiating "elite rebounders"....but, if so, it's not being done in a realistic way. I understand that Ibaka is a good rebounder, but if an inferior player is in better position and/or is blocking him out, then the other player should get it. most of the time better positioning or boxing out should trump "rebounding ability".

Then there is the rebounding control for the user. The animations you get sometimes are just dumb - your player will be in perfect position to grab it, but the canned rebound animation causes his hands to retract too early and he just lets the ball fall right in front of his face...whereas if he had just kept his hand outstretched, he would have been able to grab it. this doesn't happen a ton, but probably once or twice a game. So this is a contextual animation issue and a ball tracking issue. They need to make the rebounding animations more dynamic, so that players can bend/straighten their arms and rotate their bodies dynamically, rather than being tied down by a canned rebound animation which sometimes doesn't give you the proper arm movement or body movement...similar to when they added the dynamic ball tracking to the shot blocking a couple of years ago.

the box out control can be frustrating as well. sometimes it works, other times you go to box a guy out and your player moves the wrong way and completely sidesteps the player rather than boxing him out. sometimes I'll try to box a guy out, but my player will oddly rotate completely the wrong way and just miss the guy entirely. This may be tied to the timing of when you try to box out, like if you try to box out too late..but many times it seems to me that my player is in good position to box out, but he just moved the wrong way and let the other guy run past him.

the result of all of this is that the CPU will often have a ridiculous advantage on the offensive glass. sometimes they beat me like 9-1 on the offensive glass...but it wasn't earned. many of their offensive boards were cheese rebounds that my players should've been able to get but didn't, for various reasons stated above.

Last edited by blues rocker; 04-22-2013 at 12:41 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #5
MVP

jayman504's Arena

OVR: 5

I find boxing out non-exisitant. When the shot goes up I find the animation that actually starts the box-out waaaaay to slow and the CPU is already in postion to grab the rebound. And when you acutally DO box out, either 1 or 2 things occur...

1. Tip, Tip, Tip til the CPU grabs it
2. Warping of the ball to a CPU player

I'm not a programmer or even have the slighest idea how they make these games, but Rebounding need a HUGE improvement for 2k14.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 12:49 PM   #6
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

rebounding in 2k13 is 100% scripted, just sit and watch the cpu will tell u if a shot is going in or not before it even nears the rim because if its going in they wont go for rebounding positions. not to mention the ball warps right into players hands
Old 04-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #7
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

It feels scripted at times. Yes I manually box out . But there are times where I replay and the ball zips to the other guy. Or I have 3 guys around the rim and the point guard with low vertical jumps over my center .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 04-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mars5541
It feels scripted at times. Yes I manually box out . But there are times where I replay and the ball zips to the other guy. Or I have 3 guys around the rim and the point guard with low vertical jumps over my center .
it all stems back to shots being scripted

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »