Home

Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

This is a discussion on Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-18-2013, 05:55 PM   #33
Rookie

MacksHeadroom's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

In association with good sliders the rebounding is fine. But in my career where I cant adjust sliders the rebounding is atrocious. The other team is always guaranteed to triple my offensive rebounds no matter what team i play for.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #34
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

I agree with you that sliders help. However, I think it is unrealistic to lower sliders that affect player ratings. Once you do that you are givinig an unfair advantage to certain teams. For instance, if you lower the offensive rebounding slider it helps a team like the Celtics who has no offensive rebounding. It would hurt a team like the Nuggets or Grizzlies whose offense is boosted by offensive rebounding.

I think that adjusting certain sliders are good, but not rating sliders that will give an unfair advantage to one team or another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacksHeadroom
In association with good sliders the rebounding is fine. But in my career where I cant adjust sliders the rebounding is atrocious. The other team is always guaranteed to triple my offensive rebounds no matter what team i play for.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 04-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #35
MVP

thedream2k13's Arena

I hate to bring up older games but 2k11 had it almost perfect. the guys that were supposed to get the rebounds were.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 10:49 PM   #36
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Czar,

A few things if 2K wants to improve the rebounding they need to come up with a way to differentiate rebounder types. The only thing I can suggest is they need to record different NBA games of different player types who are good at rebounding. Rebounding almost needs like sig skills or tendencies to separate why players are good and what makes them good, or give us more control in rebounding. Guys very rarely have to chasedown a rebound. Everything appears to be designed to go to one specific person without much movement. More random bounces are definitely needed with some live ball. Too many rebounds land exactly in the paint as player wait for the ball to come off the rim.
  1. Relentless energy Rebounder/husler: guys that can run all over the court quick second jumps endless motor like a Faried. More likely to crash for Oreb's possibly guess wrong but will still try. Truthfully there are not a lot of rebounders like him in the NBA. He should be able to do this without losing a lot of stamina.
  2. Box-out/positional guys: Love, Randolph, Evans, Noah who box out the best and control their area without using plenty of vertical to do so. When around a good box out guy you don't jump as high due to the contact.
  3. Athletic vertical leapers: Jordan, Griffin, LeBron, Mcgee use verticals more than boxing out
  4. Tap out artists: Guys that are good at keeping balls alive by tapping it out for long rebounds for resets like Chandler, Varejao, Collins
  5. Quick second jumpers: Love, Melo, Marion are good at attempting a shot and jumping again quick to get a rebound in the paint. Love gets plenty of rebounds like this. Melo does it when he sort of bullies his way in the paint
  6. PG's all except Rondo: Rondo needs like some tendency to not crash all the time but linger around the paint for O boards. He is one of the few PG's that doesn't mind mixing it up in the paint. The majority of PG rebounds only should be coming from long rebounds. I notice that sometimes KG and most of the team will head back down on offense/defense as Rondo stays back. I don't want to see Steve Nash getting an offensive rebound in the paint over a big.
  7. Length: A guy like Gasol who I wouldn't say is a elite jumper or box out guy gets rebounds by using his long length
You will notice that there are guys in the NBA that fall in multiple categories. Another thing is I shouldn't be able to turn bad rebounding teams into good rebounding teams just by turning up the crash board coach profile setting.

Last edited by stillfeelme; 04-18-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:51 PM   #37
Rookie

Offensive rebounds are too frequent imo.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 6

I find that your AI teammates will almost never box out which is a big problem seeing as it is one of the simplest fundamentals in basketball.

Also, the spacing is so messed up, if someone were to put up a three with Luol Deng, and I see the AI put three of my players and their defenders in the paint at the same time, something's bound to happen because none of my players are in front of their man to box out (since they are looking to get the ball).

Even when I do get an offensive rebound, it looks so unrealistic. It's the most random crap. My guy will simply put two hands up while the four players in front of him are all bumping each other (in other words, making each other slide, since bumps only occur in specific animations) and one of those four will touch the ball, but he lets go of it as he is sliding, and it lands in your guys hands.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #39
NBA 2K Gameplay Producer, Offensive AI System - SIM NATION

Da_Czar's Arena

OVR: 61

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacksHeadroom
Understood on the sliders. But for the reason you specified it would be great to get the rebounding working better out of the box.

Thanks to all who posted I will be referring back to this thread when trying to assist with this area. I of course have an opinion but always want to hear what you guys are seeing on specific areas. #SimNation!

For certain we have to get the ratings relating to real life rebounding numbers. If I am successful in getting them to look at that. What do you guys think should be the main real life numbers you believe the rebound rating should be based on ? O and D rebound rate per 40 ? 32? or something else ? What makes the most sense ?
Catch me on that #SimNation #SimHangOut Friday's @ 10:00 pm est https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...N7yxMiElOpMl_B
Old 04-20-2013, 11:16 AM   #40
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

I think they should use a hybrid system including a few things (at least).

1. I agree that rebounding rate/percentage is a much better number to use than rebounds per game. Per game numbers can be misleading for a variety of reasons. They should start every rebounding rating off by looking at the rebounding rate/percentage. However, this should not always be the end all be all of a players ratings.

2. They should tweak the rating up if the player is playing along side another dominate rebounder. Example being Marc or Pau Gasol. They are playing alongside zbo and D Howard so they should get a slight increase in rebounding ratings, because there are less rebounds to be had. >>

3. They should tweak the rating up or down based off that players rebounding rate/percentage in the playoffs (if they made it), against top teams during the regular season, or other against other elite or top 20 rebounders in the regular season. Example being that if Blake Griffin had a 17.8 rebounding rate (10.9 rpg) in the 2011-2012 reg season and in the playoffs versus the spurs (duncan and splitter), and grizz (zbo) his rebounding rate went down to 11.9 (6.9 rpg) then that should be reflected in his rating. Every player has a game log so it is very easy to track what teams and players a rebounder rebounded well against.

This would also help with the signature skills, clutch and hustle ratings. If Garnett was 10 rebounds a game or had a 18 rebounding rate in the playoffs, or against elite competition, then dropped down to a 12 reb rate or 6 boards a game against bum squads, then you could create some type of elite level or big game sig skill, or give him a boost in clutch ratings when playing elite competition. >>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Understood on the sliders. But for the reason you specified it would be great to get the rebounding working better out of the box.

Thanks to all who posted I will be referring back to this thread when trying to assist with this area. I of course have an opinion but always want to hear what you guys are seeing on specific areas. #SimNation!

For certain we have to get the ratings relating to real life rebounding numbers. If I am successful in getting them to look at that. What do you guys think should be the main real life numbers you believe the rebound rating should be based on ? O and D rebound rate per 40 ? 32? or something else ? What makes the most sense ?

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »