Home

Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

This is a discussion on Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #41
Text Battle Rec: 36-4

JerzeyReign's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

My only real concern with rebounding is the numerous 'tip drills' you see on rebounds. Most of the time the person who tips it does it for no real reason as he could have easily grabbed the rebound. I'd rather see that animation replaced with guys tapping it back out to the perimeter as that seems to be a more common thing in today's NBA.

As far as stats go, it all depends on settings/pace of the user playing. I've personally gotten realistic stats in this area but I attempt to play a more slower paced game attempting to keep my Field Goal Attempts under 90 as I play on 12 minute quarters.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #42
Pro

yungsta404's Arena

OVR: 0

there should be a sig skill for defensive rebounding just like there is 1 for offensive rebounding.

It should a sig skill that makes players around them better defensive rebounders because there are players that dont have good raw rebounding numbers but increase the teams rebounding rate when they are on the floor.

For example. Roy hibbert doesnt have great raw rebounding numbers but he creates defensive rebounding opportunities for his teammates because he is such a wide body and blocks out.

Same with a guy like brook lopez.
Same with a guy like marc gasol.

This should help balance the game so athletic bigs wont be so damn dominate and unathletic bigs wont be at such a disadvantage in terms of rebounding.
Old 04-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #43
MVP

stillfeelme's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Czar
Understood on the sliders. But for the reason you specified it would be great to get the rebounding working better out of the box.

Thanks to all who posted I will be referring back to this thread when trying to assist with this area. I of course have an opinion but always want to hear what you guys are seeing on specific areas. #SimNation!

For certain we have to get the ratings relating to real life rebounding numbers. If I am successful in getting them to look at that. What do you guys think should be the main real life numbers you believe the rebound rating should be based on ? O and D rebound rate per 40 ? 32? or something else ? What makes the most sense ?
I think you should go by rebound rate. It already includes the player minutes and ratio's it to the team minutes. You may have to question this stat or filter it if players play less than 20 games and play low minutes like less than 15 mnutes
Old 04-20-2013, 08:08 PM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 1

i play a lot of team up, so my experiences may be different
but i think rebounding is great.. its all about timing and position .. if i am playing pf/c and i miss a board i know its either:
a. i mis-timed the jump or
b. i didnt establish a good enough position or
c. the other players werent boxing out either
Old 04-20-2013, 09:03 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 33

Quote:
Understood on the sliders. But for the reason you specified it would be great to get the rebounding working better out of the box.

Thanks to all who posted I will be referring back to this thread when trying to assist with this area. I of course have an opinion but always want to hear what you guys are seeing on specific areas. #SimNation!

For certain we have to get the ratings relating to real life rebounding numbers. If I am successful in getting them to look at that. What do you guys think should be the main real life numbers you believe the rebound rating should be based on ? O and D rebound rate per 40 ? 32? or something else ? What makes the most sense ?
Rebounding rate, as well as for any other variable that can be meassured with a rate, should be the norm ... this approach is not biased by the tempo (amount of possesions) ... also, per game numbers are evidently biased by playing time (which is a variable out of the player control, not alike what they do when they play).

Btw, THANKS !
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-22-2013, 10:47 AM   #46
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Understood on the sliders. But for the reason you specified it would be great to get the rebounding working better out of the box. ...
Czar,

Here are a couple more observations:

1. One of the areas to look at for MyCareer/Association improvement would be the role that the momentum mechanic plays in rebounding. I don't think this affects the sim part of these modes, only when the gamer plays an actual game. Momentum can lead to one team getting 5 or 6 rebounds before putting the ball in the net and the other none.
  2. More importantly, the AI player positioning really should be looked at. When looking at NBA basketball, and the person possessing the ball is posting up or driving, his teammates will often be positioned a lot differently then in 2k13. An example that comes to my mind often is when Howard has the ball, Gasol and Metta World Peace will be positioned on the opposite side of the basket of Howard - most of the time in 2k one or none are positioned correctly. It is not a matter of boxing out, but rather where they are positioned during the play.
As to what standard to use: I don't know. Rob Mahoney (the guy at SI) had a really great article on rebounding a few weeks ago and he used several different stats and indicators. The way he did it, it seemed really logical and convincing but it was a mix of rebounding and useage rates among others and I'm not sure this would be doable in 2k code. It still should be worth a look though.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:12 PM   #47
MVP

OVR: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakersForLife
Rebounding in 2K13 is atrocious, it's confuses me on how someone with high rated rebounding attributes grab 2-4 boards on 5 Min Quarters.
4 rebounds on 5 min quarters would equal out to about 8-10 rebounds per game for a 48 min game... I think the stats you get and the game itself is geared toward the full 48 minutes...

Problem with that is that not everyone likes to, or has the time to play on 12 min quarters so their stats will always be off when compared to the rest of the league.

psn - CeeGee
Old 04-22-2013, 02:36 PM   #48
Rookie

R0ver's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by turty11
rebounding in 2k13 is 100% scripted, just sit and watch the cpu will tell u if a shot is going in or not before it even nears the rim because if its going in they wont go for rebounding positions. not to mention the ball warps right into players hands
I notice this a lot in myCareer, I wouldn't be surprised at all if rebounding is somewhat scripted, because two things basically happen when your player is under the basket. Either he gets boxed out, and you're moving against that 'invisible wall', that's when the shot misses. But when your player goes under the rim with no resistance, the shot goes in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »