Home

Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

This is a discussion on Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

OVR: 0
Just use the Pacers...

Edit:
Let me expand on that. The Pacers are the number one rebounding in the NBA. However, the Pacers are consistently out rebounded by the worst teams in NBA 2K13. The game does not take in consideration height and wingspan when it determines who is suppose to get the rebound. There is never a reason why Steve Nash should be able to get a rebound over Roy Hibbert.

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 04-16-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 3
Re: Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

On the lower difficulty levels (allstar and below), i think the rebounding is fair, but still has its issues. My problem is that strength and angles do not seem to play enough of a roll in the whole process.

For example, i may have a person boxed out in front of the rim and get a rebound that bounces off to the right through an excessively high jump. Now this may be fair because i did what the game deems right to get the board, but its unrealistic.

I didnt have the angle, so all my boxing out should have been in vain.

Get rid of the floaty super-jumps. If I have a poor to average rebounder and my positioning is a poor angle, than i should remain there. however if i have an elite rebounder, there should be automated shuffling of the feet to get a better angle.

Now of course there should be user control as well. But i think this is crucial to making rebounding more realistic and seperating the good from the bad.

The strength would come in when having to move other players to get to those desired angles. no power or quickness to negate others positioning, then no rebound for you.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #11
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

2k13 rebounding is terrible for a variety of reasons.

1. Ratings. Players who have low rebounding percentages/ boards per game in real life shouldn't have rebounding ratings in the 80's and 90's and vice versa. Look at Thad Young's rebounding rating. Roy Hibbert and David West's rating. Scola's rating. Perkin and Ibaka's ratings. D jordan and blake griffin's ratings. Lamarcus Aldridge's rating. Those are just examples. There is no logic to who they give high rebounding ratings.

2. Tendencies. There should be a go after defensive, and go after offensive rebounds tendency. Players who don't rebound well shouldn't go after every rebound. On 2k13 almost ever shot that goes up there is someone attempting to grab an offensive board. Reggie Evans, and Zbo might go after every board, but most athletic bigs in the league don't go after every offensive board. If javelle mcgee went after every board like Reggie evans does then he would be in the top 5 every year in rebounding rate.

3. Animations. 2k13 has unrealistic rebounding animations. An example being the animation where players palm rebounds out of the air with one hand with the ball floating away from them. Additionally, the speed that a player is able to jump with on his first and second jump is too fast. I have seen people grab an offensive board and then go back up and dunk, before the defensive player who jumped at the same time has even touched the ground on his first jump.

4. Collision Detection. When a player is boxing out properly, it is impossible for the boxed out player to reach their maximum vertical to grab a rebound. Thus, when there is body contact in the paint it should limit the height and type of jumps that players perform when attempting to rebound.

5. Hands rating needs to be more relevant. Players with good hands should grab a ball when they touch it, and players with bad hands should not be able to rebound in traffic. Maybe they could add a rebound in traffic rating, similar to the shoot in traffic rating.

If you go back to 2k11 you will see alot more boxing out, less offensive rebounding, and fewer rebounding issues. I honestly don't even remember rebounding in 2k12, but I do remember it not being this inconsistent.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 02:11 PM   #12
All Star

turty11's Arena

OVR: 27

agree with everything you said alabama.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
MVP

OVR: 1
Rebounding is much better than it was on release. AI teammates even box out with some consistency-- even the guys that don't in real life. Maybe there needs to be a box out tendency if there isn't one already. Guys like David Lee snag a bunch of rebounds but rarely box out. Guys like Epke Udoh box out to the detriment of their own rebounding numbers but help the team. Guys like Kevin Love do both.

I'm getting good rebounding stats for the Warriors with custom sliders and roster, so I don't know much that skews things but it's not horrible.

It does feel a bit scripted an not very live. Tips almost never go to the team that tips it. The tip recovery animation is so long and uninterruptible that once you tip it you're pretty much out of the contest. There should be some strategy to timing and tipping-- it keeps the ball alive for a second attempt and shouldn't just be an automatic failure. Overall rebounding needs to allow more scrambles.

Also tipping to teammates is absent in this game. There should be a way to bat the ball to a teammate or the perimeter.

There is also the usual issue with the CPU snagging the ball out of your hands occasionally, and teammates just letting the ball bounce next to them without scrambling for it. They should always reach, scramble, dive for the ball. They might miss or not be able to corral it in but they should never just watch it bounce between them.

Lastly, you should be able to attempt rebounds on some missed shots. Missed gimmes with long recovery animations take you out of the rebounding contest completely when you have at least a chance to go up and rebound it for a second attempt in real life.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Rookie

OVR: 1

When Reggie Evans is in position for a rebound and Nate Robinson is able to get the rebound over Evans back... Your gonna have a bad time rebounding.
Old 04-16-2013, 04:41 PM   #15
MVP

Taer's Arena

OVR: 7

Rebounding from a statistical POV:

Perimeter players in general seem to be achieving their statistical averages... despite individual performances and individual plays that stick out in the memory that make it seem that at times Steve Nash out rebounds Howard. Looking at a 5 year average, most every player examined shows these players at or near their real life NBA numbers.

Inside players are a mixed bag - poor to average rebounders are making their NBA averages while the "good players are problematic. For example: Javale McGee averaged around 7.1 rebounds a game which while a little low is still within acceptable variances.

If you look at Dwight Howard, you see where 2k's algorithms fail. Howard over the 5 year period averaged 10 rebounds per game. That is better then the average for the league, but still not as good as it should be for a rebounder of Howard's real life ability.

This problem exists for all the "elite" rebounders such as Kevin Love and Blake Griffin and all of them are averaging 3-5 rebounds a game less then their real NBA numbers. This is the same issue that exists for Blocking.

For MyPlayer and Association gamers, this is a problem because there is no incentive to pay or trade for the "better" rebounders - a Javale McGee makes a lot more sense to have on your team then a Dwight Howard. This should not be the case.

Rebounding from a playing perspective: It seems to me that the better gamer can rebound better using any player then an average gamer using a Dwight Howard type of player. A really good 2k gamer can use Eric Gordon to out rebound an average 2k gamer using Blake Griffin.

Boxing out in 2k13 to me seems a lot more "hit or miss" - when it works, it works really well, but when it fails, it makes the 2k experience worse then a pick up game at the local park's courts. The mechanic needs to be able to allow bigger men to overcome the efforts of the smaller guys. As it is right now, Steve Nash can box out Blake Griffin quite well - again this should not be.

I'll add more later if I come up with more observations.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-16-2013, 06:16 PM   #16
Rookie

Icxikul's Arena

OVR: 0

Most of the problems of rebounding everyone has touched on already. I really hate that one hand rebound in front of your face where you clearly had the advantage of getting the rebound. Your guy is directly under the basket and the opponent sticks his arm out to grab the rebound because your guy has to move in slow motion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »