Home

Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

This is a discussion on Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse within the NBA 2K Last Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #25
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5
Re: Rebounding in 2K13 Better or Worse

I would recommend anyone who thinks that rebounding is ok to play HOF sim 12 min quarters against the clippers and Thunder and let me know what the results are versus their real life numbers. Blake gets 8 borads per. D Jordan 7. Ibaka 8. Perkins 6. Collison 4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
Rebounding has always been one of the most poorly represented aspects of videogame basketball. It has seemed mostly random, scripted, or purely ratings based (and not always on the right ratings) for the entire history of the genre.

That being said, it's one area that I feel has improved constantly, with no memorable steps backwards.

If I nitpick animations, I can drive myself crazy and have to stay away from the game for a while. But, from an impressionistic point of view, rebounding normally works very well for me in 2K13. My best rebounding games, whether PvP or vs. the CPU, have been with guys like Noah, Faried, and Hickson. I recently played a game with the Raptors in which Aaron Gray earned himself extra time by being extremely effective at boxing out and grabbing every rebound in his area (he had 10 in 20 minutes). I didn't check his ratings, but it felt like size trumped vertical in that game at least.

Has anyone actually tried tracking some game(s) to see how many rebounds are going to players they clearly shouldn't? You'd have to forgive a few of the uglier looking animations and concentrate only on players' position/timing and the trajectory of the ball. I feel like the results wouldn't show more than 2-3 glaring errors in an average 48 minute game.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-17-2013, 06:25 PM   #26
Rookie

VoltronViking's Arena

OVR: 2

From what I've been seeing in 2K series is that the rebound trajectory on 3pt misses seem to be way off and unrealistic. I've rarely see a guard run down and grab a rebound from a long rebound bounce.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:05 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 1

Along with all the other complaints about rebounding that have been covered here, something I've always wanted changed is that players attempting putbacks are given a great advantage, both on putback shots and dunks(especially dunks, where they sometimes plow through guys). When the putback animation occurs they seem to jump a foot higher than they usually do and the guy they jump over is essentially helpless. Sometimes when they shove a guy in front of them out of the way on a putback its a clear case of over-the-back.

This is not just a 2k13 problem. Its been going on as far back as I remember.
Old 04-17-2013, 09:52 PM   #28
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by alabamarob
I would recommend anyone who thinks that rebounding is ok to play HOF sim 12 min quarters against the clippers and Thunder and let me know what the results are versus their real life numbers. Blake gets 8 borads per. D Jordan 7. Ibaka 8. Perkins 6. Collison 4.
Could you elaborate please?

It looks like you're saying the CPU players get those reduced numbers even with the HOF ratings increase? So for you, is rebounding overpowered in favor of human controlled teams? Is the problem just that they're spread out too equally, or are you seeing guards regularly achieve the double-digit numbers that bigs should be pulling down?

This is why I want to examine each rebound for at least one full game. How many are really going to a player other than the one most likely to grab it based on trajectory/timing/positioning? How much control does the game give you over those factors? Is it possible to concentrate entirely on rebounding and see meaningful results?

I notice plenty of animations that don't look right initially/at full speed, but when viewed in slo-mo from multiple angles they do appear to lead to the proper result, just not in an aesthetically pleasing way. I think we need to separate those from the ones that actually inhibit proper functionality, otherwise it becomes too easy to blame the game for everything.

I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting rebounding doesn't need improvement. It's important to know that if history is a reliable indicator, it can and will get better at a steady rate. I just worry that if people think it's "broken" they will require a quantum leap (that isn't likely to occur) to be happy. I'm probably satisfied because I'm comparing it to what's come before rather than real basketball or an unknown possibility, but I also understand that everyone doesn't have the last decade+ of games at their immediate disposal to make comparisons.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:34 AM   #29
Pro

Biizz713's Arena

the most frustrating thing in the game to me is when all of your CPU rebounders slowly walk into the paint as the rebound goes right over their heads and back to one of the apposing guards. the ai on long rebounds is awful, that's why you see people shooting 40+ 3's in 5 minute quarter ranked and my team matches. they know that they are going to shoot like 30% on those 3's and then get 20+ offensive boards on the misses.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:15 AM   #30
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

My bad for not being clear. My point is that the game does not reflect most player's real life rebounding skills and numbers.

I used Griffin, Perkins, Ibaka and Collison as examples of rebounders who are overrated.

If you look at the offensive rebounding rates in the league this year D Jordan is the only clipper in the top 50 at 22, and Ibaka is at 40.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...offReboundRate
Yet Griffin, Ibaka, and Perkins will be all over the offensive glass like Reggie Evans.

An example of underrated rebounders are Andre Drummond, and al jefferson who are top 15 in def rebounding rate. Yet they have sub 80 def rebounding ratings. Whereas other players with similar size, and verticals, who don't rebound as well, have higher rebounding ratings.
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/holli...defReboundRate

2k could give each player a rebounding range/zone rating or tendency. Some players can only rebound balls that fall directly to them when boxing out. Some players can rebound balls that are in their box out area or in an area directly next to them. Whereas some players can track a rebound anywhere on the floor. D Howard in Orlando and or Rodman had unlimited rebounding range and you would see them track rebounds all over the floor. Whereas someone like Roy Hibbert has a much smaller and limited rebounding range (for a variety of reasons). I think this rebounding range,area rating or tendency could limit players from flying all over the floor to gather a rebound, when that is not what they do in real life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streaky McFloorburn
Could you elaborate please?

It looks like you're saying the CPU players get those reduced numbers even with the HOF ratings increase? So for you, is rebounding overpowered in favor of human controlled teams? Is the problem just that they're spread out too equally, or are you seeing guards regularly achieve the double-digit numbers that bigs should be pulling down?

This is why I want to examine each rebound for at least one full game. How many are really going to a player other than the one most likely to grab it based on trajectory/timing/positioning? How much control does the game give you over those factors? Is it possible to concentrate entirely on rebounding and see meaningful results?

I notice plenty of animations that don't look right initially/at full speed, but when viewed in slo-mo from multiple angles they do appear to lead to the proper result, just not in an aesthetically pleasing way. I think we need to separate those from the ones that actually inhibit proper functionality, otherwise it becomes too easy to blame the game for everything.

I want to be clear that I'm not suggesting rebounding doesn't need improvement. It's important to know that if history is a reliable indicator, it can and will get better at a steady rate. I just worry that if people think it's "broken" they will require a quantum leap (that isn't likely to occur) to be happy. I'm probably satisfied because I'm comparing it to what's come before rather than real basketball or an unknown possibility, but I also understand that everyone doesn't have the last decade+ of games at their immediate disposal to make comparisons.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes

Last edited by alabamarob; 04-18-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:36 PM   #31
All Star

ksuttonjr76's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biizz713
the most frustrating thing in the game to me is when all of your CPU rebounders slowly walk into the paint as the rebound goes right over their heads and back to one of the apposing guards. the ai on long rebounds is awful, that's why you see people shooting 40+ 3's in 5 minute quarter ranked and my team matches. they know that they are going to shoot like 30% on those 3's and then get 20+ offensive boards on the misses.
I lost to a GSW user in the same manner. I was already p*ssed that I couldn't effectively "stop" the back and forth 3PT shooting, but he was getting more chances due to the crazy offensive rebounding.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2013, 02:21 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 15

It needs work but I was happy to see more offensive rebounds in 2k13 because there was a lack of offensive rebounding in 2k12 for me.

2013 and 2015 OS NFL Pick'em Champ...somehow I won 2 in 3 years.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen »