Home

HyperBaller/DC NBA 2k13 Signature Skills Project

This is a discussion on HyperBaller/DC NBA 2k13 Signature Skills Project within the NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 09-14-2012, 08:27 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 5
Re: HyperBaller/DC NBA 2k13 Signature Skills Project

I admit that people in that sig skill thread were getting a little carried away, but at the same time, I believe, or rather...I guarantee that 2k will be much more generous in distributing the sig skills compared to this current list.

A lot of people seem to be advocating that a role player shouldn't be getting more than 1 or 2 sig skills, if any AT ALL. Which is silly to me. Sig skills are just that, signature skills. A role playing bigman that has scrapper, hustle points, bruiser and brick wall isn't necessarily better than a Starter with only 1 or 2 sig skills like Shot Creator and Finisher. Now, that doesn't necessarily mean Starter is a worse player or even that he's more deserving of the sig skills. Sig skills should be assigned based on description. If a guy like Kendrick Perkins has 3-4 sig skils, I wouldn't care as long as they are accurate to his abilities in real life.

Bottom line imo, sig skills should not be assigned based on how "good" a player is but based on fit. If you still think I'm crazy, well then I forgot to mention that many of the sig skills have levels. Its perfectly fine to assign something like floor general to a good PG at Level 1 because he wont be nearly as effective as a guy like Steve Nash who will likely have Floor General at Level 3. I agree that rookies need prove themselves though.

Anyway, I feel like the following skills are all reasonable for the Pistons:

Rodney Stuckey - Finisher, Acrobat, Shot Creator
If you watch Rodney or check out a youtube mix, you'll quickly see that his biggest strengths are getting into the lane off the dribble with his combination of quickness and strength to take hits and finish. He's always near the top of the league in and1s every season and he's able to finish with both hands, double clutch, switch hands, contort in mid air ect...

Tayshaun Prince - Anti-freeze
He was a lockdown defender at one point in his career but he's past his prime. Anyway, Tayshaun is Mr. Consistent, the glue guy that you can count on night in and night out whereas a guy like J.R. Smith can score 40 one game and then single digits the next.

Greg Monroe - Post Playmaker, Hustle points, Active Hands
Post playmaker is self-explanatory. That's what G-Mon is known for. Active hands: he averages 1.5spg per 36mins for his career. He doesn't block a lot of shots, but he has incredibly quick hands for a big man. Hustle points because well....a lot of the points he gets are from getting offensive boards and then converting. In fact, that was pretty much his entire rookie season. That's why you see scoring on such few shot attempts.

Jonas Jerebko - Scrapper
Shouldn't need an explanation...

Jason Maxiell - Highlight film, Eraser
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcREdq3CGfA
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-OZk...feature=fvwrel

Andre Drummond - Eraser
If there's one thing Drummond is really good at, it's blocking shots emphatically. Could possibly have highlight film later on in the year

If your still reading, I applaud you...
Old 09-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
MVP

OVR: 1

I may be biased but I believe the Warriors are being way underchanged in Sig Skills especially with their star players.

Steph Curry doesn't have a single sig skill when I believe he should have Heat Retention (as does 2K), Shot Creator, Break Starter. He doesn't rely on speed but on savvy handles to get himself open step backs so I believe Shot Creator is justified. It's also been said he's better at passing on the break than in the half court set, and has connected on some amazing long distance alley oops last season. If Monta Ellis can have 3 sig skills (that I think he deserves), then I think the other player many argue is better can have a few.

Steph's step back to jumper. The Nike video's even called Signature Moves (and featured guys like Wade, Manu, Westbrook, and Kobe):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hR-XrQBN8_0

Same series, combo crossover to floater:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9EOcZ1qMXs

Same, behind the legs to jumper:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFYt4...feature=relmfu

Steph's 13-16, 6-9 threes, 36-point game vs Denver justifying Heat Retention (shot creation at 1:30, 2:00, 2:42):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqSGKfKBqQY

Curry's 36 point game vs Grizzlies 13-22 (not bad), 6-9 3's, (shot creation at 1:00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0IMEvF1-s

Curry's 32 point game vs Blazers, 6-8 3's, (shot creation at 0:08):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zr0IMEvF1-s

Steph Curry's full court passes off the break in Top Plays 6, 5, and 1. There were at least a few other half court alley oops to Lee and Dorell Wright last season that didn't make the list.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UJRxCG7Kk

Keep in mind that Curry only had 1/3 of a shortened season and were able to achieve the above games and highlights.

Andrew Bogut was considered on of the best defensive centers of the league and it isn't just from drawing charges. His highlight skill should be Defensive Anchor because he's vocal, coordinates defense and is known to physically push teammates to where they're supposed to be. The Bucks went from one of the best defensive teams to one of the worst with his injury. I can understand not wanting to overrate him because he's coming off an ankle fracture but I don't think he's going to forget the mental/leadership aspect of playing team defense. He also lead the league in blocks the year before he was injured, but I can live with him not getting Eraser right off an injury. Bogut is also one of the better passing big men, and analysts have the Warriors with one of the best if not best passing front court tandem with David Lee. He should have: Charge Card, Defensive Anchor, Post Playmaker Last season (12 games), 2.6 assists. 2.0 previous year. Career 2.2.

Bogut's post playmaking:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MU-jB7gQLTI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwlV3RGrZPg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LVkF0idZiY

After watching this I almost want to give him Posterize. lol:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=TezjWy50Uu0

David Lee: Post Playmaker, Hustle Points Lee is an elite garbage man, so at the very least I think he should have the skill we paid him 80 million over 6 years for. He's also quite a good Playmaker in the post and a very underrated passer. I don't think you can be considered potentially the best passing front court in the league without having two players that both deserve the Post Playmaker sig skill. When fans were asked by Warriors analyst Matt Stienmetz (who's definitely not a homer) to list big men who were as good or better passers than Lee, the list was short: Pau Gasol (who you do have as Post Playmaker), and Chris Webber (retired!), amongst one or two others. Lee's assists numbers the last few years (3.6 NY, 3.2, 2.8 with GSW). Monroe: 2.2, Pau: 3.7. Compares favorably to other passing big men.

David Lee's interior/post passing in Top Plays 2 and 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-UJRxCG7Kk

Brandon Rush: Spot Up Shooter, Corner Man, Chase Down Blocks I was really happy 2K noticed Rush's ability and tendency to chase down blocks. I think he deserves the sig skill, especially since they made him one of the examples for the skill not named Lebron. I would even take Spot Up Shooter away from Rush if the addition of Chase Down Blocks makes him overpowered (but Corner Man should stay).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUPyS1zlNso

A slew of Rush blocks starting at 0:09:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7S92jlL6a9g

Dominic McGuire: Consider Lock Down Defender. He's on the Raptors now but his defense was pretty much why we kept him around. He's a 3 but we had him play every position from 1-4 on defense and was the guy we put on opposing star players in must stop situations in close games.

Klay Thompson: 2K has him with Dead Eye, maybe because late closing defenses affect him less because of his height at the 2. I could go with that, or with Microwave as you have him with.

That was probably more than you wanted, but hope I could help.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-15-2012 at 01:38 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:16 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 10

These are ALL great, and thorough suggestions. Keep them coming!!!

We also have the CLASSIC team tab also for those you are into the legends.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 09:25 PM   #12
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundown
Andrew Bogut was considered on of the best defensive centers of the league and it isn't just from drawing charges. His highlight skill should be Defensive Anchor because he's vocal, coordinates defense and is known to physically push teammates to where they're supposed to be. I can understand not wanting to overrate him because he's coming off an injury but I don't think he's going to forget the mental/leadership aspect of playing team defense. He also lead the league in blocks the year before he was injured, but I can live with him not getting Eraser right off an injury. Bogut is also one of the better passing big men, and analysts have the Warriors with one of the best if not best passing front court tandem with David Lee. He should have: Charge Card, Defensive Anchor, Post Playmaker
We don't want BAD teams (historically), to have a defensive anchor because they we don't want them getting boosts that could potentially help them be better than what they are. So we agree with his ability, but we are against giving Bogut Anchor
Old 09-14-2012, 10:01 PM   #13
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
Great News Hyper!

Im also eager to see y'alls mini-dunk package edits as well as I know how happy you were to learn that they're in the game this year.
YES!! Once we get more info on EXACTLY how these mini-packages work, that is probably the next project we will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k10Fonzarelli
@Hyperballer > If recent MyCareer Videos have shown anything regarding SSs, its that they come in different increments(L1-L3)
If this Level system translates over to the rest of the game, how will that affect your editing philosophy?
I get the feeling that those levels are strictly for MyCareer mode only. I have not seen any indication for it being for regular players. Either way, skills will only be given out to the ELITE players of that PARTICULAR skill.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:12 PM   #14
MVP

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperballer21
We don't want BAD teams (historically), to have a defensive anchor because they we don't want them getting boosts that could potentially help them be better than what they are. So we agree with his ability, but we are against giving Bogut Anchor

Wait. Isn't the point of bad teams acquiring missing pieces and culture changing impact players in the first place-- so that they can become better teams? That would be like taking Floor General away from Chris Paul because the Clippers were a sub .500 team for years before they signed him. The Bucks were also terrible without Bogut. If he obviously makes the Bucks better, why can't he do it for another team that's at least as talented this season? The Warriors were historically bad because they were historically small, wasted talent in drafts and trades, and didn't have a true center to anchor the defense since, what, Nate Thurmond? I'm not sure it makes sense to deny them their missing piece just because they've always been missing that piece.

Plus with our crappy defenders, a justified boost would just make a few of them just a little less crappy. With our coaches' focus on defense, and with the Warriors being smart teachable guys, I would at least expect improved defense even if most of the guys still won't be stellar. I'd rather see this playtested than deny Bogut his most important signature skill just because the Warriors picked him up. After all, we did give up Ellis and Udoh for that "sig skill".

If you'd like things to play out realistically, I would suggest making changes so other areas are in line rather and play well with Bogut's influence rather than taking the core identity away from a player that's been the biggest Warriors acquisition in decades.

Last edited by Sundown; 09-14-2012 at 10:18 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #15
Pro

Matty Aqua's Arena

OVR: 7

Hey Hyperballer!
Appreciate and enjoy your work!...
I will focus on the Toronto Raptors cuz i follow them & once the season begins and i can see exactly what each ability does & how the sig skills affect gameplay so I will only give abilities i think are 100% deserving!...

My view on the sig skills is that they are there to help define Role players aswell as superstar players!

Obviously i havent seen much of Valanciunas,Ross and Acy and not a great deal of Kyle Lowry YET!!!
....so might have to wait to see how these players go before i state they deserve a certain ability!

The ones that quickly come to mind tho are:
Andrea Bargnani
SPOT UP SHOOTER:I watch alot of Raptor games sure he has had cold streaks early in his career but as he has matured if you leave him open he will make you pay!,has also improved his shot off the dribble!

HEAT RETENTION:It does not take much to get Andrea going,this is his true stregnth.This is who we play through.Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't...but if Andrea is hot he is going to knock down alot of shot!

Jose Calderon
Floor General: Jose cops a lot of crap...he struggles to defend the point guard position no doubt and he is not flashy passer.... but he runs half court game so well.
Jose is a smart passer makes smart plays and like it or not he is a good 'Floor General'...

Last edited by Matty Aqua; 09-14-2012 at 10:34 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2012, 10:18 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 17

CP3 deserves active hands or pick pockets he led the NBA in steals

Kris Humphries Scraper he avg 11 Reb a game being undersize a PF most his Rebs we from pure hustle.

Mike Miller spot up shooter that's all he does now in days

Judging by the list you're not a fan of ankle breaker and closer lol. Good luck with the project.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Last Gen > NBA 2K Last Gen Rosters »