Home

Tendency edits that are game changers for realism?

This is a discussion on Tendency edits that are game changers for realism? within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 11-02-2017, 12:48 PM   #17
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Tendency edits that are game changers for realism?

Quote:
Originally Posted by talucchesi
Van, are you gonna post your tendency edits somewhere? (spreadsheet, blog, etc). I',m using ciaco's rosters and I'm not sure he'll update his all in one roster with your tendency changes so I was just gonna do them mentally. I hate seeing players hold the ball doing nothing at the top of the key
No, I'm not a spread sheet numbers guy or let alone a roster share guy or roster maker. I keep my rosters and sliders to my personal preferences. I'm a numbers guy with global changes and then go off feel, looks test, and testing with all players playing like themselves. I am by no means a roster wizard, guru, or czar like others are. I do know playbooks and real basketball and what that should look like though from 20 years of coaching and 17 years of playing the game... The above post gives you an idea though. All these will be in the playbook roster though (xbox).
Old 11-02-2017, 12:54 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 15

Really good stuff in this thread. I agree, the and 1 dribbling by alot of the players have annoyed me for years in 2K. Also I love the classic teams but it drives me nuts how off the tendencies are for alot of the players. I've been meaning to add Sonic's tendency edits to my personal roster for the classic players but always wondered where some of his tendencies,especially (mid range shooting tendency and 3 Point tendency were to low for it to translate over to real gameplay look wise. I know for sure I am going to look at changing the post fade-away tendencies and the dribbling tendencies in the classic and current players. Like Vann, mentioned 2K just went overboard on some of these tendencies and it doesn't look good during gameplay at all.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:36 PM   #19
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Good stuff! Funny you just posted this because I have spent the last 3 days just editing small tweaks like this in my personal file and like you HUGE difference. I think it's funny we don't share these things here and talk about them??? Anyways, I'm like you in looking for realism and to make CPU tougher. Thanks to Leftos for the mass editing tool!

1 big change for gameplay for me is dribble right tendency. Most guys are at 85-95 to go right and vice versa for lefties. I globally chnaged that to 50 for everyone then changed the bigs to 60 and lefties to 40-45. They will now look to attack both ways and take what defense gives them rather than force there way through to the 1 direction they can go. I mean this is the NBA and these guys can dribble both ways! All PG's left at 50. Now you see everyone go both ways off ball screens or over shading them 1 way. SO much better.

Its crazy cuz as I was reading this I was in the process ofediting this exact thing myself. kept trying to figure out why guys kept would do a move and have someone beat but dribble right back into the defender. frustrating when you start going into editing things and realize just how lazy 2k is when it comes to this stuff.

I redid the right and left fade aways and hooks for the whole league and put in the proper direction. Looks 1000x better! Not sure why this is backwards out of the box. Using their dominant hand an turning to proper shoulder 1st more often looks 1000x better and more realistic (they still use other moves). I eliminated the post hop shot. Looks horrible and just use setback for those players instead. Not sure how I feel about face up's yet either. As of now I put higher back downs to get them from facing up. I have seen some nice drives from post out of back down but the face up idle I don't like... Testing that still...

Problem I'm having with post play is how quick they are to shoot the fade no matter where they are, like Blake catching a High post from near the 3 and just fading after one post dribble. uuugghhh Hate it. and another thing is that ball fake which is so overused and always used in the worst spot when the finally do successful back down. He pumps gets me to bite and instead of shooting here comes that damn ball fake which allows me to recover. and then theres a big with a mismatch on a guard or something they don't take advantage or do a fade. you think post adavantages could or might tie into the iso vs weak, average, elite etc. Still trying to figure that one out.

The no dribble moves was a nightmare. Al most like some teams were not even edited. I think T. Thompson had 0, Lebron 10, etc so they would do the and 1 moves. I eliminated the in and out globally along with double cross and behind back except low for superstars or elite PG's & wings. The stepbacks and spins look great on drives and the basic crossovers used 90% of the time irl... I don't really like the pull up's in game either. It's sluggish for a lot of guys. They go into weird hop. I prefer setback mid rage jumpers as most guys are doing this now too pretty universally across the NBA as it's a move worked on by everyone. Animates better IMO.

for the stepbacks and spins etc whats your base number. Also another thing that's bugging me is guys going in for weak layups. Doesn't seem like the drive hard enough a lot or really ATTACK like they should unless they are pre contacted. Are you having this problem.

I'm actually surprised to hear a couple of you guys having this problem but I think I figured out why. Maybe because my sliders have cpu at 90 attack basket?? I really don't get the and 1 thing usually a move or two to create space and then a drive.

I redid the setup tendencies too. No setup, hesitation, or size up for the whole league. Made that add to 100. Same with Jab step and pump fake. Now you see the jabs and pump fakes like irl and less idle stuff and just standing. I then globally changed everyones idle. All PG's & wings have 0 idle so they either shoot or attack or pass, or shot fake and no just standing. The bigs have 0 if they are attacking or shooting bigs. The guys like J. Noah, etc I put to 15 idle. This was a big change but huge difference in realism.

I'm still finding balance in a few areas like the play discipline. I wouldn't go as low as 40 for everyone personally. I put the low shooting players between 75-85. JR Smiths at 20-25, and then 35-45 for superstars, then 65-75 for all role players depending on players. Need to test more in a few things and I will be tweaking the floaters as well as it's overdone Imo. I don't want to see everyone in the league doing this. Still finding right balance of attack and dish to open man but I'm close. 1 thing I have tried not to touch yet (but will) is player ratings but shot IQ, pass vision, and passing IQ will need to be edited too.

I will say one of my favorite things so far has been watching Boogie Cousins run the break and take it coast to coast. ISO and using his setup to attack strong to the rack and using spin move for a dunk. I have saved some clips and it's incredible! He had 22 in 1st quarter CPU vs CPU and I was like uh oh did I over do it?! LOL I did put higher ISO tendencies for superstars too like boogie where I put 95-75-55-40 for ISO vs Poor, Good, Average, and elite defenders to get them to use more during a game. Again, just went that high for superstar guys like Boogie or high ISO players like Melo...

This is my next thing. If you can keep posted this one, I really want to make an emphasis on star players abusing weaker defenders

Lastly making sure shot and drive off screen is balanced so guys are doing 1 or the other from mid and 3. As an example I got Tony ALLen at 100 drive off screen and 0 shoot so it acts as a cut.

I like your thinking with this one, never thought about it that way, defintly gonna use this for future.

Everything else is really player specific things to get them playing as themselves but all those tweaks above really has them playing great basketball and looks like something you see on tv without all the sauce. That's all I got for now. Hope it help's people. I'd love to hear other guys theories but I won't hold my breath...
I honestly think maybe some guys want to but really don't feel like taking the time to type out ppsts. I was like that but after using your playbooks and tweaks plus some of my own tweaks and seeing the drastic difference, Felt like I had no choice but to try to contribute to keep this alive and going.
Also thanks for your feedback. Sorry if I'm asking a lot but this game has beome more exciting and enjoyable and the more I delve into editing and seeing the results the more exciting its.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:38 PM   #20
Rookie

looks like I made a mistake there, my response are in your quote. lol sorry still getting used to this.
Old 11-02-2017, 02:42 PM   #21
Rookie

also wanted to add ive done this. tuned down speed, vertical, lateral quickness, acceleration, vertical, strength, rebounding for both user and cpu. tuned down obd and hd to 25 for user and onbd and hd to 95 for cpu. really creates a challenge and opens up more floor space so guys aren't always everywhere at once
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2017, 03:00 PM   #22
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

The game was good out of the box and probably 1 of the best out of box games ever released besides 2k11, but it is a truly amazing game when edited properly and playbooks done!

Quote:
Problem I'm having with post play is how quick they are to shoot the fade no matter where they are, like Blake catching a High post from near the 3 and just fading after one post dribble. uuugghhh Hate it. and another thing is that ball fake which is so overused and always used in the worst spot when the finally do successful back down. He pumps gets me to bite and instead of shooting here comes that damn ball fake which allows me to recover. and then theres a big with a mismatch on a guard or something they don't take advantage or do a fade. you think post adavantages could or might tie into the iso vs weak, average, elite etc. Still trying to figure that one out.
I am having this same problem... Let me know what or if you find something here. Might tie into idle tendency? If so could put those higher for post players or guard posts? I'll test...

Quote:
Its crazy cuz as I was reading this I was in the process ofediting this exact thing myself. kept trying to figure out why guys kept would do a move and have someone beat but dribble right back into the defender.
Yes this one was a big one. It was bugging me. I saw some guys make right read and wondered why others were forcing things and not taking what the defense was giving them then voila there it was obvious and glaring at you. I love this done and it's an easy edit too with the global edit feature...

Quote:
for the stepbacks and spins etc whats your base number. Also another thing that's bugging me is guys going in for weak layups. Doesn't seem like the drive hard enough a lot or really ATTACK like they should unless they are pre contacted. Are you having this problem.
I had that problem until I hit finish strong higher (but it also makes guys dribble too much and try to force way to basket when it's not there which has bugged me for certain guys like Jaylen Brown) for certain guys and got rid of floaters for a lot of guys. Then Westbrook, Wall, etc started finishing strong. I think the key here with guys like that if going higher in that area is also putting pass to open man higher as well as see floor passing attribute?

I don't really have a set number for dribble edits. I just go in after putting 0 to half spins etc then just go highest is basic cross and then drop next move by 10 and so on to moves players use irl.
Old 11-02-2017, 03:04 PM   #23
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Another thing that's really bugged me is fast breaks and guys criss crossing and running to opposite side of floor as I'm bringing the ball up the middle of the floor on a fast break. Editing transition spot up helps here. Need to redo that one as well... I already did it for shooters like Reddick but this needs to be globally done for others too... Fast break logic needs work...
Old 11-02-2017, 03:14 PM   #24
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
I will say one of my favorite things so far has been watching Boogie Cousins run the break and take it coast to coast. ISO and using his setup to attack strong to the rack and using spin move for a dunk. I have saved some clips and it's incredible! He had 22 in 1st quarter CPU vs CPU and I was like uh oh did I over do it?! LOL I did put higher ISO tendencies for superstars too like boogie where I put 95-75-55-40 for ISO vs Poor, Good, Average, and elite defenders to get them to use more during a game. Again, just went that high for superstar guys like Boogie or high ISO players like Melo...

This is my next thing. If you can keep posted this one, I really want to make an emphasis on star players abusing weaker defenders
Sorry didn't see this part. I did it exactly as I posted. I think 2k had it 75-55-35-15 for all ISO guys. For Boogie & Melo I put 95-75-55-40 for ISO vs Poor, Good, Average, and elite defenders to get them to use more during a game. For other guys I went 85-65-50-35 & 80-60-45-30... Here I see them more often but not overdone...

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »