Home

Tendency edits that are game changers for realism?

This is a discussion on Tendency edits that are game changers for realism? within the NBA 2K Basketball Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 10-05-2017, 08:52 PM   #9
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: Tendency edits that are game changers for realism?

Everybody keeping it close to the vest and everyone has the secret sauce huh, but no one wants to share it... LOL & SMH!
Old 10-05-2017, 09:06 PM   #10
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Here's something Ive just noticed. I like editing to create seperation between players. Basically good players feel good, great feel great, bad feel bad.

I dropped some of the defensive ratings of the Mavs guards (on ball, PNR IQ, def. con). What I can confirm is that this talks to the iso tendencies of the AI. I was just playing against Kemba who has a high iso rating against poor defenders. And he went iso 5 times in the first quarter. This is a cool tendency, but was overdone.

So Im going to either raise my guards def attributes back to default or reduce stars iso tendencies.
Old 10-07-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Rookie

OVR: 0

Post tendency for players are not working in a few categories. Aggressive back down creates post drives even
If you lower post drive to zero. Regular back down doesn't work at all. The player will just keep going into post up then out of post up over and over again. Kills any fun playing with classic teams with back to the basket players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-07-2017, 06:08 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

vtcrb's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
Everybody keeping it close to the vest and everyone has the secret sauce huh, but no one wants to share it... LOL & SMH!
Shooting tendencies
Drive the lane
Attack
Dish to open man

Twitter: @VTCRBTEC

Youtube Channel:https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKL...1uva35l4zFEofg

Roster Editing for Over a Decade
Old 10-07-2017, 07:51 PM   #13
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcrb
Shooting tendencies
Drive the lane
Attack
Dish to open man
I agree, but I'm looking for specific reasoning although kind of obvious with those. Id add to that dish to open man though as it's crucial in PNR scenarios and too low IMO with some PG's who don't make the read and especially with a few of the plays I added for each team that require a PG to drive hard then kick back to the fill man/shooter. The top PG's with higher passer ratings will make the pass where a lot won't. This is the NBA and most guys can run a play knowing the options in it. It also effects players making the skip pass, PNPop pass, and hammer passes. Going back to the PNR and attacking that you mentioned this also ties into the annoying and 1 dribble moves coming off PNR's. It gets too wonky at times. The other thing that seems tricky with balance is play discipline. If a guy is wide open in a play I want certain players shooting those shots instead of always running through the play. But I don't want that all the time and with certain guys so again balance with shot contest and open has to tie in I'm assuming? I'm curious where that happy medium is there...

I know a lot of you guys who have been studying and testing this game for years usually have your formulas and set numbers locked in with scales. I wouldn't even know where to begin. All I do is test and go off of feel tip I get a team right. I will say this though, I have always loved and used DC's old dribbling edits scale he did years ago of moves being 0-5-10-15-20-25, etc. Always got good great results with those edits.

On a side note I got a question, can someone go into detail on the coaching sliders specifically the Guards-Forwards & Inside-Outside? I am not sure which way to go? Just when I think I get it I'll look at a few teams and go that can't be right! Then I don't understand it... LOL! Is it for subs? Play calls favored towards players?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:26 AM   #14
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
I agree, but I'm looking for specific reasoning although kind of obvious with those. Id add to that dish to open man though as it's crucial in PNR scenarios and too low IMO with some PG's who don't make the read and especially with a few of the plays I added for each team that require a PG to drive hard then kick back to the fill man/shooter. The top PG's with higher passer ratings will make the pass where a lot won't. This is the NBA and most guys can run a play knowing the options in it. It also effects players making the skip pass, PNPop pass, and hammer passes. Going back to the PNR and attacking that you mentioned this also ties into the annoying and 1 dribble moves coming off PNR's. It gets too wonky at times. The other thing that seems tricky with balance is play discipline. If a guy is wide open in a play I want certain players shooting those shots instead of always running through the play. But I don't want that all the time and with certain guys so again balance with shot contest and open has to tie in I'm assuming? I'm curious where that happy medium is there...

I know a lot of you guys who have been studying and testing this game for years usually have your formulas and set numbers locked in with scales. I wouldn't even know where to begin. All I do is test and go off of feel tip I get a team right. I will say this though, I have always loved and used DC's old dribbling edits scale he did years ago of moves being 0-5-10-15-20-25, etc. Always got good great results with those edits.

On a side note I got a question, can someone go into detail on the coaching sliders specifically the Guards-Forwards & Inside-Outside? I am not sure which way to go? Just when I think I get it I'll look at a few teams and go that can't be right! Then I don't understand it... LOL! Is it for subs? Play calls favored towards players?
First off I wanted to tell you how great your playbook edits are. This is a thread that should be kept alive and active. With your playbooks and some tweaks to tendencies I am seeing a huge difference in gameplay. Overall pace and flow is amazing. Couple things Ive found to add to the thread which Have seen are game changers.

No dribble moves tendency and no set up dribble. dropped to 0 for everyone- might think this is abad thing and now the cpu will be break out the and 1 mixtape right? Actually no. Thing is most players who don't dribble have 0s across the board anyway and most players have low numbers in dribble categories anyway. What is does though is unhinge the cpu and allow them more ways to create space in a given opportunity. Even a guy like kyrie who i bumped up a little in each and who problem has the highest dribble tendency in the game doesnt go crazy. Yes once in a while he'll try and do a lil too much and turn it over but thats realistic and it doesn't happen as much as you would teveryonest times he does on or two moves combined with a setup to get to paint or create space just like The real kyrie but the n you'll also from time to time get one of those spectacular crossover drives kyrie is know for and boy does it like pretty.( Crossover left to right then go behind the back into a spin lay up AND get the foul. Just beautiful.) Also seeing more variety in the pick in rolls with guys, step backs, splitting, overall just better movements and quicker decisions where its not so vanilla and easy to guard like before.

Also drpped play discipline to 40 for everyone and gonna be dropping the take contested mid/3 to 50-75. It just doesn't translate well. 2k overdid it with such high numbers. Steph just chucks up shoots and just makes most players and teams waaay to easy to defend. And I know Steph chucks it up in teal life but a team like GS is also known to make the extra pass, got tired of seeing steph catch and chuck heavily defened when a open KD is literally 10 feet from the side of him wide open in the corner. Also stops the stupid drive and pull up mid range heavily contested when the drive is open or lightly to moderately protected from happening so much.

And of course the things like open man tendency, finish hard on drive and drive tendency. Have you found a good balance for these 3 for most players? Combined with the others like off screen drive, spot up etc etc.

My main goal is to make the cpu less predictable and harder to defend. I want to be punish for my mistakes not bailed out. So far I feel like im getting close to perfect with your playbooks and tweaks. But still couple things like take 6ft jumpetrs and im still getting the drive and pause stationary dribble while surrounded things sometimes. Again thanks for your work on the plays and whatever you can share is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:10 PM   #15
Pro

talucchesi's Arena

Van, are you gonna post your tendency edits somewhere? (spreadsheet, blog, etc). I',m using ciaco's rosters and I'm not sure he'll update his all in one roster with your tendency changes so I was just gonna do them mentally. I hate seeing players hold the ball doing nothing at the top of the key
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-02-2017, 12:40 PM   #16
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by J9mils
First off I wanted to tell you how great your playbook edits are. This is a thread that should be kept alive and active. With your playbooks and some tweaks to tendencies I am seeing a huge difference in gameplay. Overall pace and flow is amazing. Couple things Ive found to add to the thread which Have seen are game changers.

No dribble moves tendency and no set up dribble. dropped to 0 for everyone- might think this is abad thing and now the cpu will be break out the and 1 mixtape right? Actually no. Thing is most players who don't dribble have 0s across the board anyway and most players have low numbers in dribble categories anyway. What is does though is unhinge the cpu and allow them more ways to create space in a given opportunity. Even a guy like kyrie who i bumped up a little in each and who problem has the highest dribble tendency in the game doesnt go crazy. Yes once in a while he'll try and do a lil too much and turn it over but thats realistic and it doesn't happen as much as you would teveryonest times he does on or two moves combined with a setup to get to paint or create space just like The real kyrie but the n you'll also from time to time get one of those spectacular crossover drives kyrie is know for and boy does it like pretty.( Crossover left to right then go behind the back into a spin lay up AND get the foul. Just beautiful.) Also seeing more variety in the pick in rolls with guys, step backs, splitting, overall just better movements and quicker decisions where its not so vanilla and easy to guard like before.

Also drpped play discipline to 40 for everyone and gonna be dropping the take contested mid/3 to 50-75. It just doesn't translate well. 2k overdid it with such high numbers. Steph just chucks up shoots and just makes most players and teams waaay to easy to defend. And I know Steph chucks it up in teal life but a team like GS is also known to make the extra pass, got tired of seeing steph catch and chuck heavily defened when a open KD is literally 10 feet from the side of him wide open in the corner. Also stops the stupid drive and pull up mid range heavily contested when the drive is open or lightly to moderately protected from happening so much.

And of course the things like open man tendency, finish hard on drive and drive tendency. Have you found a good balance for these 3 for most players? Combined with the others like off screen drive, spot up etc etc.

My main goal is to make the cpu less predictable and harder to defend. I want to be punish for my mistakes not bailed out. So far I feel like im getting close to perfect with your playbooks and tweaks. But still couple things like take 6ft jumpetrs and im still getting the drive and pause stationary dribble while surrounded things sometimes. Again thanks for your work on the plays and whatever you can share is appreciated.
Good stuff! Funny you just posted this because I have spent the last 3 days just editing small tweaks like this in my personal file and like you HUGE difference. I think it's funny we don't share these things here and talk about them??? Anyways, I'm like you in looking for realism and to make CPU tougher. Thanks to Leftos for the mass editing tool!

1 big change for gameplay for me is dribble right tendency. Most guys are at 85-95 to go right and vice versa for lefties. I globally chnaged that to 50 for everyone then changed the bigs to 60 and lefties to 40-45. They will now look to attack both ways and take what defense gives them rather than force there way through to the 1 direction they can go. I mean this is the NBA and these guys can dribble both ways! All PG's left at 50. Now you see everyone go both ways off ball screens or over shading them 1 way. SO much better.

I redid the right and left fade aways and hooks for the whole league and put in the proper direction. Looks 1000x better! Not sure why this is backwards out of the box. Using their dominant hand an turning to proper shoulder 1st more often looks 1000x better and more realistic (they still use other moves). I eliminated the post hop shot. Looks horrible and just use setback for those players instead. Not sure how I feel about face up's yet either. As of now I put higher back downs to get them from facing up. I have seen some nice drives from post out of back down but the face up idle I don't like... Testing that still...

The no dribble moves was a nightmare. Al most like some teams were not even edited. I think T. Thompson had 0, Lebron 10, etc so they would do the and 1 moves. I eliminated the in and out globally along with double cross and behind back except low for superstars or elite PG's & wings. The stepbacks and spins look great on drives and the basic crossovers used 90% of the time irl... I don't really like the pull up's in game either. It's sluggish for a lot of guys. They go into weird hop. I prefer setback mid rage jumpers as most guys are doing this now too pretty universally across the NBA as it's a move worked on by everyone. Animates better IMO.

I redid the setup tendencies too. No setup, hesitation, or size up for the whole league. Made that add to 100. Same with Jab step and pump fake. Now you see the jabs and pump fakes like irl and less idle stuff and just standing. I then globally changed everyones idle. All PG's & wings have 0 idle so they either shoot or attack or pass, or shot fake and no just standing. The bigs have 0 if they are attacking or shooting bigs. The guys like J. Noah, etc I put to 15 idle. This was a big change but huge difference in realism.

I'm still finding balance in a few areas like the play discipline. I wouldn't go as low as 40 for everyone personally. I put the low shooting players between 75-85. JR Smiths at 20-25, and then 35-45 for superstars, then 65-75 for all role players depending on players. Need to test more in a few things and I will be tweaking the floaters as well as it's overdone Imo. I don't want to see everyone in the league doing this. Still finding right balance of attack and dish to open man but I'm close. 1 thing I have tried not to touch yet (but will) is player ratings but shot IQ, pass vision, and passing IQ will need to be edited too.

I will say one of my favorite things so far has been watching Boogie Cousins run the break and take it coast to coast. ISO and using his setup to attack strong to the rack and using spin move for a dunk. I have saved some clips and it's incredible! He had 22 in 1st quarter CPU vs CPU and I was like uh oh did I over do it?! LOL I did put higher ISO tendencies for superstars too like boogie where I put 95-75-55-40 for ISO vs Poor, Good, Average, and elite defenders to get them to use more during a game. Again, just went that high for superstar guys like Boogie or high ISO players like Melo...

Lastly making sure shot and drive off screen is balanced so guys are doing 1 or the other from mid and 3. As an example I got Tony ALLen at 100 drive off screen and 0 shoot so it acts as a cut.

Everything else is really player specific things to get them playing as themselves but all those tweaks above really has them playing great basketball and looks like something you see on tv without all the sauce. That's all I got for now. Hope it help's people. I'd love to hear other guys theories but I won't hold my breath...

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 11-02-2017 at 12:44 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball Rosters »