Home

MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2024, 11:55 AM   #73
Rookie

Stout's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 24 impressions thread

Gonna play some more later, some very early thoughts after a couple innings and browsing the menus and such.

* First Day 1 purchase for me since 2016 when I was still in college. Jeez. That alone is enough to hurt. Didn’t play 23, played 22 after getting it cheap on PS4. First time on next-gen (Series S).

* Didn’t like the opening intro, rolled my eyes. Good thing it, like so many intros, are skippable.

* Really miss Sounds of the Show, good thing for Spotify and my Alexa.

* Menus give off almost like a Miami/Vice City vibe. Very colorful. Trust me I’m not missing the menus from MLB 14!

* Player models look good, I did expect a bit more on the hair front. Some of the beards still look weird. Haven’t messed around with player creator yet so don’t know how it’ll look on CAPs. Also don’t know if there’s a patch coming early next week. When I say weird, I mean they still look like they’re from PS4, when I got the sense from recent news that they were really upsclaing hair this year. So did certain guys (Vladdy) get priority and it’s gonna be a full rollout in 2025?

* My first show was 07 on PS2, which I bring up for three reasons. 1: the game’s evolution over time graphically. 2: how much better parts of the game feel compared to those early iterations despite likely featuring a lot of the same code and 3: Rich Hill is in both games 🤣

* it’s so weird having so many highly-rated free agents on the base roster from an overall standpoint. Snell is a 91, I think Matt Chapman was an 82. Not sure how many times the game has launched with a 90 OVR+ free agent. Did 19 launch with Harper as a FA?

Gonna dip my toe into franchise later, thinking of a fantasy draft with some of the new simulation tools. I’m almost exclusively a franchise player so I won’t have many if any thoughts on RTTS or DD.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:14 PM   #74
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
played briefly last night, first impressions are not good.

1. Menus are super slow and clunky
2. Online was not working
3. Barely any new equipment added, only new things i can recall are the Bruce Bolt Items.
4. Same colors available to choose when editing gear and the same issues that plague the series are still there such as primary and secondary colors being reversed and logos not changing color despite changing the colors.

5. The laziness of the art dev team are still there as the Padres are now in year 4 of wearing brown and yellow and the entire crowd is still in blue and white and the old gear.

6. Game play is nearly identical.
7. Pinpoint pitching does have some new motions but still very easy to hit.
8. Pitching is still very easy, played 1 game on default Hall of Fame setting. Allowed 0 runs and struck out 14.

9. Same old commentary lines. Still asking Boog if he can draw a walk.

Will dive more into it tonight, i only played 1 exhibition game and browsed menus as i had to go into work today and didn't stay up all night playing.
Menus are snappy fast for me. It actually reminded of what life was like back in the cartridge days. It's one of the first things I noticed. If you want to see slow menus, log into NHL 23 HUT and try doing stuff...
Old 03-15-2024, 12:16 PM   #75
"ADAPT OR DIE"

jcar0725's Arena

OVR: 3

Someone asked about any issues with high CPU strikouts or punchless CPU offense, similar to issues last year in '23.....

I played one franchise game, Marlins vs Pirates. Won the game 7-6. CPU offense was good. My bullpen almost blew the game. Pirates stuck out 8 times in the game and had 11 hits.

It's only one game but a good start.

This is on HOF pitching and hitting with zero slider adjustments.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #76
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
May seem like a silly complaint but I wish we could disable the catcher pitch com animation and go back to him putting down signs.

IMO it looks stupid especially since there is no communication (pitch called)being relayed to the pitcher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you turn on the option to have the catcher call pitches then after they do this animation the pitch type is flashing and the catcher mitt appears where they suggest you throw the pitch. I agree though that signs are way better.
Old 03-15-2024, 12:48 PM   #77
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by franch1se
played briefly last night, first impressions are not good.

1. Menus are super slow and clunky
2. Online was not working
3. Barely any new equipment added, only new things i can recall are the Bruce Bolt Items.
4. Same colors available to choose when editing gear and the same issues that plague the series are still there such as primary and secondary colors being reversed and logos not changing color despite changing the colors.

5. The laziness of the art dev team are still there as the Padres are now in year 4 of wearing brown and yellow and the entire crowd is still in blue and white and the old gear.

6. Game play is nearly identical.
7. Pinpoint pitching does have some new motions but still very easy to hit.
8. Pitching is still very easy, played 1 game on default Hall of Fame setting. Allowed 0 runs and struck out 14.

9. Same old commentary lines. Still asking Boog if he can draw a walk.

Will dive more into it tonight, i only played 1 exhibition game and browsed menus as i had to go into work today and didn't stay up all night playing.

Thank you for the honest opinion here
Old 03-15-2024, 01:14 PM   #78
Rookie

MikeAK79's Arena

The menus and background are way too bright. I can see a lot of people having issues with eye strain and migraines. Especially Franchise and RTTS players who spend a lot of time off the field. I don't know what it is with some developers and using these bright menus and backgrounds but it makes me think they don't play their own game. I'm really not liking how white the menus and backgrounds are. In my opinion it is a terrible change.
Old 03-15-2024, 01:24 PM   #79
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Finally got in to play.

The new menus do not bother me as much as I thought they would. Kinda like the new colors. The players face look GREAT. Senga looks amazing, They even finally fixed Baty face. LOVE IT LOVE IT

I am really impressed with what I have seen so far. I was willing to pay just for a roster update and I see some rosters do need some work but I am waiting for first update anyway to start franchise

But Loving the facial updates.
NHL: Philadelphia Flyers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-15-2024, 01:31 PM   #80
MVP

Lisac's Arena

My early Opinion on the game

Pros-
On Field felt really good
Was nice seeing CPU destroy a couple hanging curves in zone
Player models def look better
Pace of game was really good with the Pitch clock

Cons-
Hate the menus screen (Dont know why they mess with these)
Still has dumb blue circle around fielder, Total eye sore
My biggest grip being a Roster Creator
Some of the player models are still bad
(Justin Steele, PCA, Josh Lowe of Rays are some examples)

Still on Fence cause alot of editing needs to be done
If they dont want to give is year to year saves for Franchise at least give us ability to upload players from old versions

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »