Home

MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-15-2024, 01:44 PM   #81
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 24 impressions thread

Also noticed only two teams are missing the real manager

Mets and Padres

I am not sure if I can even remember the last time the Mets actually got their manager in the game. Very odd
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 01:56 PM   #82
MVP

LegendKillerOne's Arena

Ok so sue me I keep finding great things. The top 20 organization prospects and then they sort by positions as well for the entire league. GREAT STUFF
NHL: New York Rangers
NCAAFOOTBALL: Miami Hurricanes
NCAABASKETBALL: Duke Blue Devils
Old 03-15-2024, 02:01 PM   #83
MVP

Archie56's Arena

So I can't remember if this was in last year bc I wasn't paying attention, but I hit a single with Parker Meadows and while he was on base, he had a sliding mitt on. Is that new? Great detail!

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk
Old 03-15-2024, 02:26 PM   #84
Rookie

JWDixon120's Arena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QHqjTPAL1GU

Turned my head after this foul ball and then heard the mitt pop and was highly confused until i watched the replay LOL.
Old 03-15-2024, 02:39 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Early thoughts on the disengagement balk rule (as it relates to vs. CPU):

Well, it's definitely in and it's pretty easy to trigger intentionally as a human pitcher. The game will warn you about it with a banner at the top of the screen on each attempt and sometimes the commentary will mention it too. Practically speaking I don't think it's going to change the gameplay very much though. That's because of two reasons. One - the CPU doesn't seem to try to push the runner advantage after a user pickoff or two. Of course it can try to steal but I don't think that the chances of that happening have changed much because of the rule, nor does it try to get an insane leadoff after the 2nd pick attempt. Two: The CPU is very cautious with its own pickoffs, and after one failed attempt at a pickoff I haven't seen it try again in the same at-bat unless the user takes a 2 extra step lead (at which point they're dead if the throw is good). It doesn't get to the third unless there's a bad throw on the 2nd one that allows the runner to get back safely. It's still very difficult to "game" this as the CPU will still utilize slide steps and pitchouts even when it can't/won't pickoff, so it's still going to come down to that guessing game + the all-important jump that the baserunner gets.

The CPU Pickoffs slider is still in, but if I had to guess this only affects the chances of the first pickoff happening now.

Unlike the pitch clock option, there doesn't appear to be any way to turn the disengagement rule off - nor would I expect there to be as it affects the CPU's pitching behavior.

Last edited by bcruise; 03-15-2024 at 02:50 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 03:12 PM   #86
Rookie

MikeAK79's Arena

The new hair physics are ridiculously good. I didn't think it would be such a big deal when I first saw mention of it but after seeing it in actual gameplay with my own eyes I can say for certain that it may be one of the biggest improvements this year. Some of the new hair styles look glorious with it. If ever there was a reason to buy the new game it would be for this. No longer does hair look like a cutout from an 80's game. The level of immersion I'm getting from this is amazing. I love it.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:29 PM   #87
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Since it's inevitably going to be a point of conversation:

Yes, Franchise Complete Games are still too high at default across the league. Yes, Manager Hook slider up (personally I max it) during simming is still the "workaround" for it. And you can still change it during played games if you don't want the hooks happening too quickly in those.

I expect that the stamina sliders still affect sims as well, though I need more time to fully confirm that.
Old 03-15-2024, 03:50 PM   #88
Rookie

Papi34's Arena

OVR: 7

FWIW, I’m an old fart and have been playing since the PS2 days. I’m coming from ‘22 on the PS5 and I just didn’t click with that game. I think I only had about 0 hrs total.
First impressions on this years game on default sliders are much better. Everything just flows better for me and I feel like I have more control over the outcome of the game. I’ve put in a good five hours today and can’t wait to get back on it tonight!
Like some have seen, the commentary and presentation was a bit weird in the first exhibition game I played. Long silences where lines were missing and some stats were all zeros. Never had any issues since.

Coming from 22 there was a noticeable step up in the lighting and animations. Like I say, just flows better.
Personally, I don’t find the menus too bright. Just wondering if it’s something to do with the HDR on different TVs?

I normally only play live exhibition games and RTTS, but have already jumped in to the moments and storylines (some of the scores in the storylines already are crazy!) and plan on giving franchise mode a go this year.

Early days and I know I’m being very general, but this years game has really clicked for me and, for some reason, it reminds of the PS2 games that I put so much time into.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »