Home

MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 24 Impressions Thread within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-15-2024, 04:54 AM   #41
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26
Re: MLB The Show 24 impressions thread

Say what you want about SDS, but this Jeter storylines mode is freakin FANTASTIC. I got chills watching the interviews and highlight videos.

Way to take me back to my childhood. Wow
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 05:13 AM   #42
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48

Game is as solid on the field as it ever was. My first game was kind of a blowout, a 9-2 win over the Cardinals in a Franchise game I just picked at random. I teed off on Sonny Gray and then Matt Liberatore after he left, hitting 4 homers and just pretty much putting the game out of reach in the first three innings. I had games like that for sure last year and plenty of lower scoring ones on the same settings, so I'm not going to read much into one game. It feels very familiar as I was able to work counts and draw walks like I've always been able to. I used pinpoint pitching and throwing sinkers are definitely going to take more getting used to this year - that stick motion is a beast.

The MLB experience presentation-wise is fine so far - Boog and Singleton do what you'd expect, and I like the scorebug and other graphic redesigns in-game (though I didn't see any of the special stuff like Drone/Ump cam, that sort of thing). I played a bit of a minor league game and...was a bit underwhelmed. The graphic presentation is fine as it's a little more simplified, and it's nice to see that be so differentiated from the MLB ones. But I'm not a fan of Gellman's solo commentary. It's not very exciting and it's also not stitched together very well - it kinda sounds like the older days of The Show's commentary. But the thing that bothers me the most about it isn't Gellman himself - it's the fact that he clearly has a smaller database of names to say. That means you'll be hearing "Number __" far more than you would with Boog and Chris. They have many more names in the database, and if you take some players out of the minors and put them onto the Major League team, Boog and Chris actually will say their names (Brennen Davis is an example of this). I don't think making the MLB and Minors presentations different is a bad thing, but I feel like this implementation is a rare miss from the presentations team.

My bigger concern is what may have been removed from the game to make space for Gellman's commentary - it didn't take long after finishing that Cubs/Cardinals franchise game to realize that Justin Allegri's Inside the Show segment has been removed. There's no option for it in Audio/Video anymore, which means it not playing after the day's games are completed isn't a bug. That's a bummer as I would often listen to the whole thing to see what was going on around the rest of the league. I can't really think of a reason to remove that except to clear space for Gellman's commentary (or if he no longer had a contract with them), and the fact that I'm kind of disappointed by it makes it worse.

I'll always be gameplay first and that's where this game has always shined IMO, but I'm surprised to have negatives coming from the presentation side this early.

Last edited by bcruise; 03-15-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 05:29 AM   #43
All Star

Gosens6's Arena

OVR: 26

Playing my first exhibition game right now, am I imagining things in thinking pitch speeds have been slowed down a bit? I'm playing on HOF and I'm early as hell on fastballs. Seems a bit toned down on the speed from last year.

Could be me just imagining things
Old 03-15-2024, 07:08 AM   #44
Rookie

OVR: 4

Ever since they started doing real minor leaguers I have not been a wait for rosters kind of guy, but for some reason Marcelo Mayer isn’t in this year’s game?
Old 03-15-2024, 07:30 AM   #45
MVP

LastActionHero's Arena

OVR: 6
MLB The Show 24 impressions thread

3 games under my belt.
-Gameplay as good as ever and batting feels even tighter.
-Derek Jeter Storyline done super well! Hope we get more player storylines this year!
-Lighting looks exactly the same to me, maybe even more bland…no idea what they changed but its definitely less vibrant. So where they went in the right direction with ‘23 they went backwards in 24 again

The Show 24

The Show 23 (exact same month/time/inning)

Target field in 23 (look how vibrant the grass is)

Looks close to real life if you ask me:

And than the bland colour in 24:

-Font choice in some (crucial) places js a head-scratcher to me. Regional theme definitely better!

The Show theme:

I’ve never been a fan of the circles (so hard to read the filled outer line) but now with this font And the white colour it’s like impossible to read. Who okay’d this?!

Regional theme:

Wayyy better with the bars and the normal font en yellow colour

Last edited by LastActionHero; 03-15-2024 at 10:56 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-15-2024, 07:44 AM   #46
Pro

OVR: 0

Delete - meant for Q&A thread

Last edited by mpklub; 03-15-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:45 AM   #47
Pro

Delete - meant for Q&A thread

Last edited by mpklub; 03-15-2024 at 07:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2024, 08:31 AM   #48
MVP

TripleCrown's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB
For me, I'm just begging for a "dark mode" of sorts more than anything. I feel the menus are burning my retinas.
it's terrible when playing at night on low lighting. And the fonts.....terrible choice. Regional theme is better.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »