Home

MLB The Show 24 Gameplay Improvements and Trailer Revealed

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 24 Gameplay Improvements and Trailer Revealed within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-28-2024, 10:48 PM   #201
MVP

strawberryshortcake's Arena

OVR: 3
Re: MLB The Show 24 Gameplay Improvements and Trailer Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
They’ll eventually get it right, but I’d imagine it’s not easy to do mo-cap for pitchers because you aren’t going to get a guy throwing 100% just for a video game. With 2k pulling in animations from real games, the hope is that similar tech can be used for other games so we get much more realistic animations from the individuals themselves.
My take is that if they couldn’t get Shohei Othani to actually get the pitching motion down properly (full wind up and stretch) when he was invited down to San Diego studios years ago in mo-cap uniform, then unfortunately I wouldn’t expect them to ever truly get it right in future releases. I guess, it is what it is if they haven’t been able to capture the essence of pitching a baseball up to this point.

Shohei Othani’s pitching motion (wind up/stretch), broadcast view (2 video games, and 2 different baseball leagues: Japan/NPB vs MLB)
Spoiler

Even with just any college baseball athlete, or anyone here on operation sports, there is a certain way the body forcefully contorts or moves when throwing a pitch whether that be 60 mph or 90 mph. And unfortunately I don’t see it with MLB the Show pitchers — that’s just me. Others may disagree. Highly unlikely that it’ll be any different, but I guess we could always see how it goes when it becomes a PS5/Xbox (whatever number they’re on) exclusive.
Madden/Live Animations Walking, Throwing
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-28-2024, 11:23 PM   #202
Pro

IndianSummer's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: MLB The Show 24 Gameplay Details and Trailer Revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
Hold my beer.
Your not going to weigh that beer before you hand it to me are you?
Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 PM   #203
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by desouza7
They’ll eventually get it right, but I’d imagine it’s not easy to do mo-cap for pitchers because you aren’t going to get a guy throwing 100% just for a video game. With 2k pulling in animations from real games, the hope is that similar tech can be used for other games so we get much more realistic animations from the individuals themselves.
This seems more like a rig issue. The Show models can't bend like a real person because they are not built to have the flexibility in certain parts of the body. His torso staying that straight would be a limitation of that.

Even if someone wasn't throwing 100% in a mo-cap session, they'd still have form that led to their body not being as stiff as what you see in The Show, so that's what leads me to believe it's a rigging problem. The issue there means that odds are whenever they update their player rigs/skeletons, they will have to clean up or completely redo any animations in the game.

Also, with mo-cap, you don't just capture the movement and then have a clean animation ready to go. So, even if someone was a little stiff because they weren't throwing 100%, mo-caps still bring in rough animations that get cleaned up and tweaked, so the animators at SDS would have the ability to tweak the animation that was captured and add some more organic movement to it to match a pitcher throwing at full strength if the rig allowed it, so, that also leads me to believe it is just a rigging issue and they either are working behind the scenes on new models with new skeletons and rigs and are getting an updated library of animations for those, or they don't feel like it is necessary to move on from what library they have already built despite the limitations.

I hope the former, fear that it is the latter. As someone else said, if this is still an issue all these years later, it would indicate that it's not going to get fixed or it would have been already.

― Plato
Old 02-29-2024, 02:07 AM   #204
Rookie

marbury's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
Immediately seeing the screenshot of Josh Hader, unfortunately I pretty much figured pitching mechanics wouldn’t be fixed. An on going graphical animation issues that continues to linger with this series.

You simply make the best comparison videos. I could watch them all day

Let's hope Konami will surprise us with a 20th anniversary gift.
大谷 翔平 #17
Shohei Ohtani
It's ThaGreatMuta
Old 02-29-2024, 02:28 AM   #205
Rookie

Bacong's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberryshortcake
My take is that if they couldn’t get Shohei Othani to actually get the pitching motion down properly (full wind up and stretch) when he was invited down to San Diego studios years ago in mo-cap uniform, then unfortunately I wouldn’t expect them to ever truly get it right in future releases. I guess, it is what it is if they haven’t been able to capture the essence of pitching a baseball up to this point.

Shohei Othani’s pitching motion (wind up/stretch), broadcast view (2 video games, and 2 different baseball leagues: Japan/NPB vs MLB)
Spoiler

Even with just any college baseball athlete, or anyone here on operation sports, there is a certain way the body forcefully contorts or moves when throwing a pitch whether that be 60 mph or 90 mph. And unfortunately I don’t see it with MLB the Show pitchers — that’s just me. Others may disagree. Highly unlikely that it’ll be any different, but I guess we could always see how it goes when it becomes a PS5/Xbox (whatever number they’re on) exclusive.
the pitching motions have been bad in this game for more than a decade. mlb 2k series still has better animations which is pretty wild.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-29-2024, 05:57 AM   #206
Rookie

Have a feeling Heidi whatney will make her return to the game. No confirmation just speculation on my part
Old 02-29-2024, 06:06 AM   #207
Rookie

It's embarassing how bad the pitch animations are. It's like playing catch with your kids.

I didn't care 15 years ago during the PS3 cycle, but by now it's just plain laziness.
Old 02-29-2024, 06:11 AM   #208
Rookie

To me the game plays entirely different on that console compare to PS5. Just my opinion though.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »