Home

EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 04-04-2023, 02:35 AM   #65
graphic artist

C.J.S.'s Arena

OVR: 2
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

i looked at the ea play for the trial, but i'm confused because i don't see any info on whether you need the ea play pro or not to get the game after trial ends. can someone explain if you can get this for more than 10 hours, with a ea play subscription? or do you need to just buy it to play it for more than 10 hours?

Last edited by C.J.S.; 04-04-2023 at 02:39 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2023, 03:15 AM   #66
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.S.
i looked at the ea play for the trial, but i'm confused because i don't see any info on whether you need the ea play pro or not to get the game after trial ends. can someone explain if you can get this for more than 10 hours, with a ea play subscription? or do you need to just buy it to play it for more than 10 hours?
When the EA Play trial ends, your choice is to either buy the game outright, or pay for EA Pro in order to continue playing.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:56 AM   #67
MVP

ComfortablyLomb's Arena

OVR: 27

I just played through the first set of training challenges (1-30). A few snap thoughts:

- The game looks great overall and the courses are the best I've seen in a golf game.
- I haven't suffered a crash or notable bug (yet?).
- The swing lag doesn't bother me but I suspect folks use to 2k's 1:1 swing are going to complain. I don't think it's inherently a problem.
- I'm not sure the ball physics are perfect but they're fun. It seems lively.
- Short game seems so much more intuitive than in 2k.
- There is no option to wear sunglass or regular glasses? Boo.

I think it's going to be divisive with the 2k folks. This game borrows a lot of stuff but it feels very different. I think I prefer the feel but others who play 2k a lot may not. I don't think it's bad though, and actually I think it's pretty good but limited playing time of course.

I feel for the PC folks who are experiencing issues. It's becoming too common for PC ports to run like garbage on release (see also Hogwarts recently).
Old 04-04-2023, 08:04 AM   #68
Rookie

Cool Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

Game potential 9/10 Actual state of game 5/10.
Get it patched and sort the blatant issues out and it should be really good. Fail to do so and the game will die a rapid death
Old 04-04-2023, 08:12 AM   #69
Rookie

Another vote that turning off HDR allowed me to run the game on my LG CX via HDMI. Looks like that's just broken right now.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:07 AM   #70
MVP

icicle22's Arena

OVR: 7

I played about an hour on PS5 last night and thought it was "OK". The 30fps was not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. The game felt rather stale and it did not feel "next-gen" by any means....at least in the hour or so I played it. Biggest issue is the golf swing felt sluggish or heavy to me....maybe it's a latency thing.

I subbed for EA play on my PC and downloaded the trial this morning. It plays pretty damn good on the PC, max settings and all. I have a Ryzen 5600x and a RTX4070ti though. 32gb RAM. I will say that I felt as though I enjoyed the PC much more as the backswing and timing was just a little better. On the PC I used and XBOX Elite controller connected via USB. Just seemed like the timing was a bit better I think.

Regardless, the only thing on the PC version I noticed was an occasional hitch in the transitions between holes where there are Broadcast style graphics wiping across the screen, and sometimes during the flythough previews of the holes, I will see it skip a frame or something that just sticks for a tenth of a second.

I played at 2560x1440 for a bit (on my 75" 4k TV) and it was really smooth but I saw some jaggedness or shimmering on some trees. I switched to full 4k and the jaggedness and shimmering was gone and I really didn't notice any performance issues.

In all fairness I purposely did not load an FPS monitor as to not get hyper focused on the numbers. I think I will try again later.

When it is all said and done, my initial impressions, as a casual golf gamer, is that it definitely doesn't feel next gen much at all. I'd probably have to play PGA2k or Rory again to appreciate what is better about the new game. But having not played either of those in a while, this feels very similar in my mind. That alone, tells me this is nothing earth shatteringly better than those....it's an incremental improvement maybe but being this is a next gen exclusive, I was hoping for something jaw dropping visually.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:18 AM   #71
Rookie

Played one round with Harold Varner III at Augusta, tournament presentation.

A few first impressions:

Performance: Getting a smooth 70-90FPS depending on the scene, no performance concerns using the ultra preset at 4k. The only visual that was a bit stuttery oddly enough was the Masters broadcast-like animation that plays between shots/holes sometimes. I have an i9 10900k @ 5.1Ghz, RTX4080, 32GB Ram.

I played on tour difficulty and made a couple of tweaks. Shot a +10 on my first 18 at Augusta. Short game was definitely my largest issue. Didn't have much of a problem keeping full shots straight (though I did pump a couple of tee shots into the crowd). My biggest challenge has been trying to time to top of the swing...I kept stopping short or going long. I'm sure I'll get used to it.

Overall I had great first impressions. Not too easy and I have some room to make it more difficult as I settle in. No performance concerns, and the game looks and sounds amazing. A keeper for me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-04-2023, 12:06 PM   #72
Just started!

Does this game not work at ultrawide resolution? I'm at 5120x1440. Can't select it.

The lack of mouse support is baffling. Navigating the menus is annoying as hell.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »