Home

EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

This is a discussion on EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC) within the Golf forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-29-2024, 11:51 AM   #297
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: EA Sports PGA TOUR Impressions (PC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scagwi
So neither of us have done a single thing with any tokens to this point.

It depends what you're looking for but I claim my pro-pass tokens. Lots of coins in there so you can buy clothing and equipment. And equipment is purely cosmetic, it won't make you better.
Old 02-29-2024, 04:17 PM   #298
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
It depends what you're looking for but I claim my pro-pass tokens. Lots of coins in there so you can buy clothing and equipment. And equipment is purely cosmetic, it won't make you better.

That's a good, and fun, idea for using them!
Old 02-29-2024, 05:44 PM   #299
All Star

OVR: 13

Quote:
It's been a few more nights and my uncle and I are still having an ok time, but I'll admit the shine is coming off a little bit

This game has a strange way of making me feel like I'm only "kind of" in control of what is happening. It's so weird, but we both can almost "feel" the game logic doing stuff in the background.

I don't know if I'd say it's "bad" -- it just is pretty different from something like PG, where whatever happens out there, great, bad, horrendous -- you know is coming from your actions.

Not sure what this will mean for us long term honestly.

Graphics are great and we are enjoying that still
EA games in a nutshell - looks pretty (in still photos), but you quickly come to realize the coat of paint is about 0.00001mm thick and beneath it is a pretty clunky rust-bucket.

I put a lot of hours into the game so I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth, but at least 1/3 of the time was trying to figure out how to make the game reasonably close to what I want. After a season or two of career mode, though, there's not much left to do with the game, since I don't play online.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbd345
It’s honestly starting to feel like Madden to me. Scripted animation based gameplay. Especially with the putting.
100%. All EA games devolve to this state quickly, unfortunately. It's like your inputs only kind of matter to the ultimate outcome, and mostly you're just watching stuff happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.S.
it's RNG golf.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkev
Online play... like somebody else said, online could be (or is) the biggest reason gaming is ruined. RNG is making it more difficult for cheaters, straight shooters or whatever you want to call them, to win. Sadly, it's also making the game more unrealistic for the rest of us who want a realistic game.
I don't mind some variability built into the shots, but it should be tune-able, and honestly, I'd just rather the game's swing mechanism were accurate and complex enough to not need to build in randomized outcomes, but rather have the ability to reflect a much wider array of mis-hits/off-center hits than the game currently does. The core problem is that the swing mechanism is very close to binary at the moment (even moreso with the analog stick swing, amazingly), which is to say there are really only 2 outcomes: a perfectly hit shot or a right/left mis-hit. There should be a much broader range of "mis-hit", from slightly off-plane / off-tempo (resulting in slighter mis-hits), to significantly off-plane/off-center, which high-face-mis-hits causing pop-flies and low-face-mis-hits causing worm-burners, etc. etc. and everything in between.

We're allegedly in this ultra-modern next-gen gaming environment, yet other than the graphics being (slightly) better, the game mechanisms haven't moved an inch beyond where we were in the 1980's (e.g. 3-click swings and "analog" swings that are less precise than 3-click).

Last edited by pietasterp; 02-29-2024 at 05:47 PM. Reason: Added hyphens to "mis-hit" because if I don't, the auto-swearing-nanny interprets the middle letters as an expletive :D
Old 02-29-2024, 06:03 PM   #300
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
That's a good, and fun, idea for using them!
Just as an FYI - there are multiple forms of "currency" in the game, and each do different things:

Silver shield "Tokens" - used to level up in the Pro Pass...after you earn a certain amount, the next level in the Pass is unlocked. You have to manually go into the Pass to claim that level's reward. There's a free reward, and a Premium one that requires you to pay actual money to unlock.

Gold coin "Reward Points" - spend on gear/clothes and on daily tournament entry fees

Red triangle "Tickets" - used to enter tournaments only

Yellow hexagon "Skill Points" - used to level up the attributes of your golfer

Green diamond "Points" - these are only obtained by spending real money on them...some items in the Store are available to be purchased only with this currency.

So like bigkev said, you can level up in the Pro Pass, earn those rewards, and then spend the coin "reward points" on gear and such in the Store tab and not mess with your attributes. Only the "Skill Points" will affect your golfer's abilities, and those are used under the "Golfer" tab.

Here's a video on the currencies: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6V75PlEWxI
Old 03-01-2024, 12:45 AM   #301
graphic artist

C.J.S.'s Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
EA games in a nutshell - looks pretty (in still photos), but you quickly come to realize the coat of paint is about 0.00001mm thick and beneath it is a pretty clunky rust-bucket.

I put a lot of hours into the game so I can't say I haven't gotten my money's worth, but at least 1/3 of the time was trying to figure out how to make the game reasonably close to what I want. After a season or two of career mode, though, there's not much left to do with the game, since I don't play online.

100%. All EA games devolve to this state quickly, unfortunately. It's like your inputs only kind of matter to the ultimate outcome, and mostly you're just watching stuff happen.

I don't mind some variability built into the shots, but it should be tune-able, and honestly, I'd just rather the game's swing mechanism were accurate and complex enough to not need to build in randomized outcomes, but rather have the ability to reflect a much wider array of mis-hits/off-center hits than the game currently does. The core problem is that the swing mechanism is very close to binary at the moment (even moreso with the analog stick swing, amazingly), which is to say there are really only 2 outcomes: a perfectly hit shot or a right/left mis-hit. There should be a much broader range of "mis-hit", from slightly off-plane / off-tempo (resulting in slighter mis-hits), to significantly off-plane/off-center, which high-face-mis-hits causing pop-flies and low-face-mis-hits causing worm-burners, etc. etc. and everything in between.

We're allegedly in this ultra-modern next-gen gaming environment, yet other than the graphics being (slightly) better, the game mechanisms haven't moved an inch beyond where we were in the 1980's (e.g. 3-click swings and "analog" swings that are less precise than 3-click).
this is because in game development the real genius is new ways to interact with it. what kills me is the developers don't even know what's better, TW 08 and Perfect Golf have the best idea on this but they don't realize it. Making sports games number one rule should be how to make the gamer get more control over the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-01-2024, 11:38 AM   #302
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.J.S.
this is because in game development the real genius is new ways to interact with it. what kills me is the developers don't even know what's better, TW 08 and Perfect Golf have the best idea on this but they don't realize it. Making sports games number one rule should be how to make the gamer get more control over the game.

Speaking of Perfect Golf

My uncle and I went back last night and I think that's where we are staying.

We had way more "fun". Granted, we are used to it, but it's so de-bloated and just focused on "golf" and you controlling what happens -- simply, but powerfully..

And for me, oh my god I loved having my RTS-M back

It's so good.

EA/2k should both try to clone it for a mouse swing. It would be a game changer for those who prefer mouse swings. This should even be possible on consoles I would think!?

A fun week of enjoying the visuals on the EA game .. and I guess we donated $40 to the EA cause, oh well -- Maybe they can use that to help with the next version

I'd sum up EA PGA 2023 as:
"Beautiful house with an interior that is a bit lacking"

Last edited by scagwi; 03-01-2024 at 11:57 AM.
Old 03-03-2024, 10:39 AM   #303
Rookie

I'm actually finding it to be night and day depending on the controller I use. My 8bitdo which is perfect for The Show and the precision needed on locating a pitch was just way too sensitive for this golf game and my 75 rated golfer, even with the majority of short game/putting bumped up. My older, less sensitive, EasySMX is more forgiving, but not to the point where breaking 80 isn't gonna be tough. I think a max of 80 on the golfer is my new allowance.

I also worked in my own putting guide so that you can't cheat the downhill fast putts and never overhit. So I'm doing the following (putt distances on the left; what you add to that individual putt distance on the right .... the further away, the harder it should be):

1-3 ft. ~~~~ +2
4-6 ft. ~~~~ +3
7-10 ft. ~~~~ +4
11-15 ft. ~~~~ +5
16-20 ft. ~~~~ +6
21-25 ft. ~~~~ +8
26-30 ft. ~~~~ +10
31-36 ft. ~~~~ +12
37-45 ft. ~~~~ +14
46-55 ft. ~~~~ +18
56-70 ft. ~~~~ +20
71-95 ft. ~~~~ +30
(e.g., if the putt is 23 ft, set distance arrow to 31 ft; if the putt is 25 ft, set distance arrow to 33 ft, etc.)

You don't wanna do this when putting:
https://www.facebook.com/reel/1057953678691070
Old 03-08-2024, 11:37 AM   #304
MVP

Game is down to $13.99 now

Wow

https://www.reddit.com/r/EASportsPGA..._pc_sale_1399/

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Golf »