Home

Wisconsin State Porcupine Football (NCAA 14)

This is a discussion on Wisconsin State Porcupine Football (NCAA 14) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 06-04-2020, 09:51 AM   #57
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Wisconsin State Porcupine Football (NCAA 14)

FULL GAME: #14 Wisconsin State 5-2 (3-1) @ Purdue 1-5 (0-3)

Old 06-04-2020, 12:08 PM   #58
MVP

Careless Whisper's Arena

Tough loss to Purdue there, wasn't expecting that. I really like what you have going on here though, and how you've carried this across numerous versions of the game!

In the future, is there any chance we can get a short written recap of the contest? I know you provide something at the end of the stats post, but I usually skim through the videos since I don't usually have the time to watch the entirety of them.
Old 06-04-2020, 01:40 PM   #59
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Careless Whisper
Tough loss to Purdue there, wasn't expecting that. I really like what you have going on here though, and how you've carried this across numerous versions of the game!

In the future, is there any chance we can get a short written recap of the contest? I know you provide something at the end of the stats post, but I usually skim through the videos since I don't usually have the time to watch the entirety of them.
Yeah, it was tough out there. Just "one of those games" I guess, but frankly that's what I love about my sliders and house rules. The game is really challenging and its possible to get beat (and badly) by teams you're better than if you don't play well - and we did not play well.

And thanks for the kind words - it's been a long journey, one that had been paused for multiple years multiple times, but somehow it's still alive haha. I hope I can keep it going in this format for a long time.

I'll try to include a little more detailed summary of each game with the stat post. That blurb at the end is typically just kind of my thoughts on the game, but I'll see what I can do. I do understand that it takes quite a time commitment to watch a full game. I'm trying to cut down the total video length here going forward - this game took a bit longer because it had a lot of plays and we ran some hurry up trying to come back. I'd like to get it to the point where it's about 25-30 minutes for each game plus a five minute or less post game. I think that's going to mean cutting out some pre-game and halftime analysis, though - we'll see.
Old 06-04-2020, 02:11 PM   #60
Rookie

We got off on the wrong foot here, allowing Purdue to drive for a touchdown, then missing a field goal on our opening drive, resulting in a short field where Purdue made it 10-0. The offense really sputtered the entire first half, and the Boilers added another field goal to go up 13-0 before we threw a pick six (absolutely killer) to spot Purdue 7 more and make it 20-0. We did put together a good drive just before halftime to cut the lead to 20-7.

Started off the second half with a decent drive, but it stalled in the red zone and we settled for a field goal to make it 20-10. Purdue drove right down the field again to make it 27-10, really stretching their lead. We responded to cut it to 27-17, and to me the second half (and the game) shifted on the ensuing drive. We got Purdue into a 3rd & 15, trying to force a three and out early in the 4th quarter to get the ball back, but Blough threw up a jump ball 50 yards down field into double coverage and somehow his receiver came down with it. It was incredible. Jump to 27:26 in the video if you want to see me get my heart torn out. After that, we were just beaten down. Purdue scored and our comeback efforts after that were futile.

What really frustrated me more even than the interceptions (my fault) and getting away from the running game early (again my fault - both of those things I can fix), were the absolutely ridiculous 3rd & longs that Purdue seemed unstoppable on. Aside from the one I mentioned above, I think they converted 4 other 3rd downs of 10+, and as crazy as it sounds I don't think we ever stopped them on a 3rd & 10 plus. You won't win many games that way.

As frustrating as it was, I'm actually glad to see these kinds of games happen every now and then - top teams play flat all the time in real life and get beat. It happens to Ohio State at least once a year in real life - or it did under Meyer, anyway. As frustrating as it was to lose a game like this, I enjoy the realism it provides.
Old 06-04-2020, 03:20 PM   #61
Rookie

Porcupine Football Weekly - Week 9 Recap/Week 10 Preview, 2042

We go around the Big Ten, and look at an absolute SHOCKER of an upset in the Top 5. We'll reflect back on the Porcs' blowout loss to Purdue, and try to move forward to the Illinois game on Halloween night. We also get some big news on the recruiting front and preview this weekend's official visitors.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-04-2020, 03:33 PM   #62
MVP

moose141's Arena

OVR: 2

As the king of bad interceptions this season it feels like, I feel your pain on the INTs there. Turnovers will always kill you, and most teams are not gonna win a game when they lose the turnover battle 4-0. In spite of that, it seemed like you moved the ball well and I like seeing the distribution of the ball to so many receivers there as well. Impressive work on 3rd down, I think if the football just stayed in your hands a bit more that game could've been completely turned on its head, so at least you don't need to change too many things moving forward.

Pittsburgh Penguins - Pittsburgh Panthers - Pittsburgh Steelers - Pittsburgh Pirates - West Ham United
University of Pittsburgh Ice Hockey
Old 06-04-2020, 04:31 PM   #63
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose141
As the king of bad interceptions this season it feels like, I feel your pain on the INTs there. Turnovers will always kill you, and most teams are not gonna win a game when they lose the turnover battle 4-0. In spite of that, it seemed like you moved the ball well and I like seeing the distribution of the ball to so many receivers there as well. Impressive work on 3rd down, I think if the football just stayed in your hands a bit more that game could've been completely turned on its head, so at least you don't need to change too many things moving forward.
Yeah, I have never been a great passer on NCAA Football, going all the way back to when I started playing the series with like NCAA 03. I guess some things never change lol. I used to only throw like 15 times per game, but I suppose now I'm challenging myself by bringing the play selection to a more realistic balance. Hopefully I can improve as a passer going forward.
Old 06-04-2020, 05:03 PM   #64
Rookie

Porc Football Weekly - Week 9/10 - Cliff's Notes

Around the Big Ten
*Team records include the result of Week 9 games*

Iowa 5-3 (3-3) 35, Northwestern 2-6 (1-4) 21
Struggles continue for the Wildcats

#9 Ohio State 6-1 (3-1) 31, Michigan State 3-4 (2-3) 7
Buckeyes extremely impressive as they continue their quest for a B1G title and CFP berth

Indiana 2-6 (2-3) 38, Michigan 5-3 (3-3) 21
Yikes! Any thought Michigan had of contending for the division is likely gone now

Washington State 3-5 21, Wisconsin 2-5 20
Badgers led 20-0 at half, LOL!!!

Minnesota 5-3 33, #24 Mississippi State 6-3 14
Big win for the Gophers over a ranked non-conference opponent

#4 Penn State 8-0 (5-0) 44, Illinois 3-4 (2-2) 24
Despite the loss, Illini still very much in the B1G West race

Big Ten West Standings:
Wisconsin State 3-2
Illinois 2-2
Wisconsin 2-2
Iowa 3-3
Minnesota 2-3
Northwestern 1-4
*Wow, anyone's race here. The Porcs face Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota to end the year, so things will shake out starting this week.

Big Ten East Standings:
Penn State 5-0
Ohio State 3-1
Michigan 3-3
Michigan State 2-3
Indiana 2-3
Purdue 1-3
*Pretty obvious two horse race here with the Nittany Lions and Buckeyes yet to play

Around the Country

Central Michigan 4-3 38, #1 Alabama 7-1 31
And I thought Hawaii over Clemson earlier this year was the upset of the century. This is bigger. Chippewas with 21 points in the 4th quarter.

Oklahoma State 6-1 44, #11 Oklahoma 5-2 10
Cowboys dominate in Bedlam blowout to put themselves in contention for a Big 8 title

Kentucky 4-5 24, #14 Auburn 5-2 14
Tigers put up only 298 yards of offense as their playoff hopes are likely finished.

#10 Clemson 6-1 34, #20 North Carolina 5-2 16
Tarheels appear to have been a paper tiger as their 5-0 start is fading quickly

Top 25:

1 Florida State 7-0
2 Texas 8-0
3 Penn State 8-0
4 Boston College 7-0
5 Middle Tennessee State 7-0
6 USF 7-0
7 Tennessee 7-1
8 Ohio State 6-1
9 Clemson 6-1
10 Washington 7-1
11 Miami 6-1
12 Stanford 7-2
13 Alabama 7-1
14 Navy 5-1
15 Notre Dame 5-3
16 Georgia Tech 5-2
17 Oklahoma 5-2
18 Virginia Tech 7-1
19 Texas A&M 4-3
20 Oklahoma State 6-1
21 UCLA 5-3
22 Houston 5-2
23 North Carolina 5-2
24 Florida 4-3
25 Auburn 5-2
*We'll see what the CFP committee thinks of MTSU and USF when their rankings come out at the end of the year. The Blue Raiders finished #12 in the final CFP rankings last year after a 12-1 season, though the NY6 spot went to #11 Air Force who was also 12-1.
*Notably, the Porcupines drop out of the rankings.

Porc Chatter

*This is a game where you watch the film and then burn it. And that's what coach Brutus did. Literally. A quote from his Monday presser: "I watched it [the film] at the office when we got back. I took the flash drive home with me and burned it in the fire pit in my back yard. I think some graduate assistants made a copy first, but I'm done with it. If we ever need to watch it again for scout, the assistants can do it."

*Coach Brutus was asked during the press conference if he's considering bringing Mike Hyatt back in at quarter of Upshaw has had interception struggles of his own. His response was one word: "No."

*And with that, we will move on - the next four games for Wisconsin State will determine the division, as it's kind of a hodge podge of five teams very much in the race right now. This is the time where if Wisconsin State is the cream, they will rise to the top. If not, it could turn into a really disappointing season. Do or die time starts now.

*UNIFORM RUMORS: Saturday is Halloween, as Wisconsin State takes on Illinois at 8:00 PM. Rumors are floating around Kenosha that Illinois will be wearing their all orange uniforms and, get this, that Wisconsin State will be breaking out the all black threads not seen in over a decade to have the teams wearing Orange and Black for Halloween. It's a fun idea, but would require a waiver by the Big Ten in order for both teams to wear colored jerseys. Is the novelty of Halloween something the conference would really grant a waiver for? I guess we'll see.

Crootin' Corner

*Xamarion "X" Gordon commits to the Porcs! The 4-star safety out of Maplewood, NJ visited for the Ohio State game and has now decided to shutdown his recruitment, giving his pledge to Wisconsin State. Gordon is a bit raw, but very talented. He can really hit, but needs to improve his coverage skills at the next level. Gordon is the #118 prospect in the 247 sports Top 247.

*4-star CB Jalen Cheek commits to Wisconsin State! Cheeck, the #5 CB in the country and #136 player overall out of Winona, MN gave his verbal pledge this week. Cheek is a huge get for the Porc secondary to go along with Gordon, and is a solid all-around type corner - not afraid to come up in run support, but also has strong coverage and ball skills.

Official Visitors this week:

*4-star OG Mao Glynn out of Grand Blanc, MI will visit this week. Glynn is the #9 OG in the country,a nd the 13th ranked player in Michigan. It's down to Wisconsin State and G5 schools Miami of Ohio and Central Michigan for Glynn, though he did have an offer from Michigan State.

*3-star OC George Miki-Han from Hollywood, CA will visit. Miki-Han is the #30 center in the country. He also holds a very interesting offer from Clemson, and will visit Death Valley in Week 13. It'd be good for Wisconsin State to secure this commitment this weekend and get Miki-Han to cancel his visit to Clemson.

Opponent Preview

Indiana Hoosers 3-4 (2-2)

Wins: Sacramento State, Purdue, Indiana
Losses: Louisiana Tech, Michigan, Maryland, Penn State
*No real good wins, and a couple not so great losses.

*Offense: #37 in PPG, #26 in YPG, including 63rd on the ground and 21st through the air, so the Porcupines will face a huge challenge here against another talented offense. Or the Porc defense can flip the script and shut down the Illini aerial assault.

*Defense 76th overall, 21st against the run, 107th vs the pass. Matchup is good for Illinois as Wisconsin State likes to run. Will the Porcs have to pass to open up the running game? That could spell trouble as interceptions typically abound for Wisconsin State.

*(Another) 5th year senior QB this week in Chayce Crouch. Crouch can run (freaking great), and also takes care of the ball with 13 TDs to just 4 INTs.

*Illini have stars (talent wise) at RB and WR. The very senior laden offense boasts senior Ke'Shawn Vaughn in the backfield (546 yards, 7 TDs) and senior WR Desmond Cain (342 yards, 4 TDs). The struggling Porcupine defense will have their hands full with these two.

*The run defense is led by senior DE Henry McGrew and junior DT Jamal Milan.

*The Porcs are better than the Illini talent-wise, but that was also the case against Purdue. I have the Porcs on major UPSET ALERT this week, as a struggling Porcupine defense takes on a very, very capable Illinois offense. The Illini run defense also matches up well against the Wisconsin State running game. Not saying Illinois will win, but this one may go deep into the fourth quarter.

KEY TO THE GAME: Don't turn the ball over. Period.

« Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties »