Home

Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-11-2016, 11:04 PM   #41
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportznut02
I bought an N64 about 8 years ago just so I could play No Mercy,Wrestlemania, Revenge, and World Tour. I found all 4 games on Ebay brand new at some point and time. I had a playstation growing up so I missed out the N64. What other must have games should I get for it?
If you dont mind Japanese, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is a must have. Ocarina of Time is a must have along with Smash Bros. and Shadows of the Empire.

Last edited by PeoplesChampGB; 03-11-2016 at 11:09 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-12-2016, 05:46 PM   #42
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportznut02
I bought an N64 about 8 years ago just so I could play No Mercy,Wrestlemania, Revenge, and World Tour. I found all 4 games on Ebay brand new at some point and time. I had a playstation growing up so I missed out the N64. What other must have games should I get for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
If you dont mind Japanese, Virtual Pro Wrestling 2 is a must have. Ocarina of Time is a must have along with Smash Bros. and Shadows of the Empire.
Cant go wrong with the three mentioned above! Also, if you end up liking Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask is another to pick up (along with the memory expansion pack). Super Mario 64 is an obvious choice, Goldeneye 007 is a classic too (although, imo, the control scheme feels dated and odd compared to first person shooters on later systems). Two others you should look into are Mario Kart 64 (these games have always been a blast to play to me) and Star Fox 64.
Old 03-13-2016, 01:53 PM   #43
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpulse24
Cant go wrong with the three mentioned above! Also, if you end up liking Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask is another to pick up (along with the memory expansion pack). Super Mario 64 is an obvious choice, Goldeneye 007 is a classic too (although, imo, the control scheme feels dated and odd compared to first person shooters on later systems). Two others you should look into are Mario Kart 64 (these games have always been a blast to play to me) and Star Fox 64.
Mario Party 3 is a great drinking game with some friends or just by yourself.
Old 03-13-2016, 04:31 PM   #44
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Mario Party 3 is a great drinking game with some friends or just by yourself.
Thats true, I never thought of making that a drinking game! haha
Old 03-13-2016, 07:43 PM   #45
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Anyone have any general thoughts or a review on Shadows of the Empire for N64? I have personally never played it, but I have always heard it was a good game. Was thinking of picking it up because the retro store has it for $10.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-13-2016, 07:49 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

A lot of the N64's library has held up poorly due to bad frame rates and excessive fog.

Instead of getting the original carts, you're better off downloading the remade versions of games like Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time.

Some of the OG games that still hold up well and haven't been remade are:

Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98
NBA Hangtime
Road Rash 64
Excitebike 64
Wave Race 64
F-Zero X
Ogre Battle 64
Super Mario 64

All of those are also great multiplayer games except for Ogre Battle, Super Mario, and Wave Race.

Last edited by jyoung; 03-13-2016 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-13-2016, 07:52 PM   #47
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
A lot of the N64's library has held up poorly due to bad frame rates and excessive fog.

Instead of getting the original carts, you're better off downloading the remade versions of games like Perfect Dark, Conker's Bad Fur Day, Banjo Kazooie, Banjo Tooie, Majora's Mask, and Ocarina of Time.

Some of the OG games that still hold up well and haven't been remade are:

Wayne Gretzky 3D Hockey 98
NBA Hangtime
Road Rash 64
Excitebike 64
Wave Race 64
F-Zero GX
Ogre Battle 64
Super Mario 64

All of those are also great multiplayer games except for Ogre Battle, Super Mario, and Wave Race.
At least on my 32 inch HDTV (AV wired) my N64 and my Retron run perfectly and looks good. That includes Ocarina.
Old 03-13-2016, 08:04 PM   #48
Always batting 1.000

mpulse24's Arena

Quote:
Anyone have any general thoughts or a review on Shadows of the Empire for N64? I have personally never played it, but I have always heard it was a good game. Was thinking of picking it up because the retro store has it for $10.
Its been a really long time since I played it, but I really enjoyed it, being a Star Wars fan. IMO, the third person shooter levels of the game can get a little tedious after a while, but I LOVED the flying sections of the game. I used the play the first level, the Battle of Hoth over and over as a kid. Plus the game having portions of the actual movie score helped to really pull you in. So if you can pick it up for $10, I'd say go for it! Thats a steal!

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »