Home

Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

This is a discussion on Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread within the Console/Portable Talk forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 03-22-2016, 12:28 AM   #57
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Re: Retro Console/Game Collecting Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Difficultly probably isn't the term, but I consider games to be a lot more forgiving now than they used to be.
I think that's the best way to phrase it. I found plenty of games on the PS3/360 to be a challenge, and the lone non-sports game I've played thus far on the PS4 (The Last of Us Remastered) was far from easy.

That said, the lack of save points and checkpoints, combined with unforgiving difficulty, certainly made games tougher to beat back in the day.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 AM   #58
MVP

shogunofharlem3's Arena

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
Hopefully this will raise a discussion. My mother in law had a birthday over the weekend and I just happened to have my retron in my car. My mother in law's friends grandson was over and I asked him if he was a gamer and he said yes. Then I asked him if he would like to play some Super C and I informed him that this game was relentless. He said he was good at Call of Duty and told me his K/D, which was impressive (This kid was probably like 14). But I told him Contra is a lot harder than COD.

Anyways, we started playing and, of course, he got destroyed. I shrugged it off since Contra destroys everyone and asked him if he wanted to play Mario 3. So we started playing and he couldn't get past one level the entire time (we made it to world 3 before he had to leave).

Anyways, thinking about it I wondered with even all the advancements we had if the most simplistic games are still harder than their newer counterparts. You can't buy an upgrade for Double Dragon, you cant get accelerators. Sure there are a few codes you can put in, but other than that its you against the game and the game's job is to do whatever it takes to stop you.
I will say Nintendo constructed their controllers to be quite whippable! I can't even begin to tell you the amount of times I would throw the damn thing because of something cheap.

Flashback, Ninja Gaiden, one of those pixel perfect jumps you could barely make then just as you landed a bird would hit you and you'd bump back about 10 feet into the hole. Many a thrown, smashed, whipped, I used to put it half way in the bureau and smash the drawer on it.

Wasn't till I did a whip on Christmas playing, of all games, freeking Ultraman, boy was that game terrible. I fired my controller because he wouldn't do what I needed him to do and off came my R button. Had to use that controller just reaching in and tapping the little button tab.
Old 03-23-2016, 11:21 AM   #59
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

Re: Nintendo Controllers

Although I only ever used one when I bought a Wii the Wavebird Gamecube controllers are probably my favorite ever. It just feels so right in the hand.

PS4 does a lot of things right, but I largely feel the touchpad and lightbar are wastes of resources. Not to mention switching back to a PS3 controller and I feel like I'm Hulk.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this will fall under "retro" or "classic" yet, but considering the horizon of new games I'll probably spend the rest of the year playing PS1/2/3 games. Last year I played through Metal Gear Solid 1-3 (as well as Metal Gear 1) and came away amazed.

I started up God of War III and have been having a blast going through that. It really reminds me of Ninja Gaiden with more platforming and less, rage-inducing bosses, and not a crazy emphasis on combo strings. I hope to go through GOW1 and 2 when I'm done.

Are there any other classic PS2/3 series you guys recommend? I want to jump into Ratchet & Clank, but not sure if I should start with Future or the originals. Not to mention all the games I missed out as a kid like Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider, etc.

Old 03-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #60
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Tendrils
Re: Nintendo Controllers

Although I only ever used one when I bought a Wii the Wavebird Gamecube controllers are probably my favorite ever. It just feels so right in the hand.

PS4 does a lot of things right, but I largely feel the touchpad and lightbar are wastes of resources. Not to mention switching back to a PS3 controller and I feel like I'm Hulk.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this will fall under "retro" or "classic" yet, but considering the horizon of new games I'll probably spend the rest of the year playing PS1/2/3 games. Last year I played through Metal Gear Solid 1-3 (as well as Metal Gear 1) and came away amazed.

I started up God of War III and have been having a blast going through that. It really reminds me of Ninja Gaiden with more platforming and less, rage-inducing bosses, and not a crazy emphasis on combo strings. I hope to go through GOW1 and 2 when I'm done.

Are there any other classic PS2/3 series you guys recommend? I want to jump into Ratchet & Clank, but not sure if I should start with Future or the originals. Not to mention all the games I missed out as a kid like Spyro, Crash, Tomb Raider, etc.
Great topic, and I'm in the same boat in terms of looking at series from that era to start up. All of the series you mentioned, I either sparingly played or missed out on completely.

I did pick up the God of War Saga, along with the Jak & Daxter and Sly Cooper HD Collections for the PS3. Should keep me busy for a while.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 03-23-2016, 02:29 PM   #61
Strike Hard and Fade Away

Fresh Tendrils's Arena

OVR: 51

You can fall down the rabbit hole fairly quickly by going to Amazon and searching for PS3 game collections.

This doesn't even include the one off games that I actually did play the crap out of as a kid such as Toy Story 2: Buzz Lightyear to the Rescue and Crash Team Racing that are available on PSN.

I just wish there was a way for me to play those old Simpsons games (Hit n Run) and Batman: Vengeance again without actually buying a PS2.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-18-2016, 08:08 PM   #62
All Star

PeoplesChampGB's Arena

OVR: 0

So I traded in four of my retro games that I had beaten and got a ps2 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns straight up. Then I went to another retro game store that I recently discovered and got Madden 03/04 and 06 and Ncaa 04 and 06 for five bucks. Waiting for my max drive to come in tomorrow to start playing with draft classes and roster updates.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:22 PM   #63
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeoplesChampGB
So I traded in four of my retro games that I had beaten and got a ps2 and Fire Pro Wrestling Returns straight up. Then I went to another retro game store that I recently discovered and got Madden 03/04 and 06 and Ncaa 04 and 06 for five bucks. Waiting for my max drive to come in tomorrow to start playing with draft classes and roster updates.
Love all of those games. Good job!
Old 04-18-2016, 10:48 PM   #64
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunofharlem3
I will say Nintendo constructed their controllers to be quite whippable! I can't even begin to tell you the amount of times I would throw the damn thing because of something cheap.

Flashback, Ninja Gaiden, one of those pixel perfect jumps you could barely make then just as you landed a bird would hit you and you'd bump back about 10 feet into the hole. Many a thrown, smashed, whipped, I used to put it half way in the bureau and smash the drawer on it.

Wasn't till I did a whip on Christmas playing, of all games, freeking Ultraman, boy was that game terrible. I fired my controller because he wouldn't do what I needed him to do and off came my R button. Had to use that controller just reaching in and tapping the little button tab.
Haha, my NES controller use to take a beating. As tough as those games were though, I'd rather have it that way as opposed to years later when all you had to do was jump in the general vicinity say, and they'd give you the benefit of the doubt. Not too rewarding.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Console/Portable Talk »